U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 07:33 AM

15,524 posts, read 15,189,277 times
rain then snow, makes for slick road conditions...be careful out there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 07:33 AM

6 posts, read 4,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post
Northerners are made of sterner stuff my friend which is why I'm laughing at all these wusses in their woolen hats.
I'm sorry...I was born in Northern Quebec, Canada and the day I was born it was -49F outside... so cold my parents didn't get any visitors at the hospital because people's car wouldn't start. I HATE cold, I hate winter sports, I hate snow (except at Christmas) and most of all, I hate shovelling the white ****.

Me and hubby currently live in the UK but are hoping to move to Houston in the next year for work but also because of the usually nice weather.

Good luck with the crappy weather... (I know what it is, it has been grey and rainy for over a month here...)

Cheers!

Old 12-03-2009, 07:41 AM

3,093 posts, read 5,757,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marykate1 View Post
Hi,

It is going to be 31 F on Friday. Possibly rain and snow.

I have not turned my heater on yet! But on Friday It will be running
Oh. Bad day for driving. I would not want to be out on the road! I'll be sure to run all my errands today.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:43 AM

912 posts, read 1,637,054 times
The weather isn't 'crappy' here moka, it isn't even cold, which is what's so amusing about all the muppets walking around wearing hats, gloves and winter coats that would suit you in quebec.

As for the 'usually nice Houston weather' I think you might be in for a bit of a let down......that said it seems to be great from November to March, not too cold, plenty of sunshine.

Good luck with the move to Houston, you'll find Cambridge was a much nicer place.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:53 AM

3,093 posts, read 5,757,454 times
Minnesota, Quebec and anywhere "north" regularly have below freezing temps complete with snowfall, ice & wind.

Houston? Not so much. It's not surprising that folks who live in more temperate climates find what others think as sissy weather, cold. I grew up in NY and spent many winters traveling for work through Canada & the north/northeast. I KNOW what cold is - how about spilling some coffee outside in Winnipeg & it becoming ice as it hit the ground? Now that's cold!

This? Not so much. But when you get acclimated to Southern California (as I did) and/or live in Houston (as I do now), 30* IS cold.

It's all relative, isn't it?

Old 12-03-2009, 08:40 AM

Grunn, you'd be surprised about Cambridge... It's nice for a holiday but living here is completely different. Housing is ridiculously expensive (and houses are very very small!), banks are beyond inefficient, tiny streets make driving a nightmare and we barely ever see the sun, talk about a depressing thing. I know many Canadians and Americans here and they would all agree with me. Four of them are actually moving in the next year, either back to the US or to France!

On the good side, people are friendly but Texans are incredibly friendly... without the social classes attitude that we sometimes see here.

We just can't wait to move to Houston. Enjoy the nice weather, get too hot in the summer and eat some good BBQ food! I miss Wal-mart, I miss my Pathfinder and I just can't wait to live in a house where the kitchen is bigger than a hotel bathroom! Seriously who can survive with an undercounter fridge only in the kitchen! Sorry I'm loosing my mind!!!

Still think that 30F is a bit cold... one needs to wear gloves and a warm jacket to avoid getting sick...especially if it rains. Even the water thinks it's cold and freezes at that temperature

I'm ready for that kind of weather... it'll last 4 months here... and I'll be dreaming of Houston!

Have a nice day,

Old 12-03-2009, 08:58 AM

912 posts, read 1,637,054 times
Moka, I'm British and went to University in Cambridge so I know all about it. If you're driving there then you're correct, the town is designed for the bicycle and it's a much more effective form of transport in a compact city than a car ever could be. Houses are expensive in Cambridge, the upside being that they actually hold or increase their value and are easy to sell on, unlike many of the dwellings here in Houston that have depreciated.
The banks I cannot agree with, I've lived in many countries and the US has the most backwards system of all.
Agreed you don't see the sun much there but you'll find that for 6 months of the year you'll be avoiding the sun here in Houston like all the natives in their canned air cookboxes.

I think you'll find that class consciousness is as prevalent here as it is in the UK, particularly in Houston with it's self declared 'elite' of preppie university (new ivy league pah!) wannabees, social climbers and charity ball lickspittles.

What you will enjoy here is the attitudes of the natives, they are very friendly people as long as they
aren't trying to kill you and themselves behind the wheels of their cars.

It isn't 30F during the day either-it's been hovering around 50 which is when you see the hat and glove brigade shivering their way through the 'cold'.

The BBQ is awesome as you say but I'll leave the dubious delights of Wal-Mart to cousin cleatus.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:04 AM

3,700 posts, read 11,109,911 times
12Z models are out and showing even more wet for tomorrow. GFS shows up to 4 inches of snow at IAH.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:20 AM

I don't know about the American banks but Natwest has been a nightmare for us here... Many times! Once they forgot to do our wire transfer. When we complained, they offered us to do a urgent one and promised to refund us... it then took 2 months for them to refund us and they send us a number of letters saying that our case was being revised and that they tough their fees were fair... Hey, we didn't ask for a refund...you offered it to us! We'll be switching to HSBC after Christmas since they have branches all over the world.

Did you move to Houston for work? What do you do?

Cheers,

Old 12-03-2009, 11:32 AM

10 posts, read 7,298 times
So glad it's starting to feel like the holidays!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston