U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-16-2007, 10:32 PM
 
7 posts, read 35,695 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

Moving to Houston in August, what areas are the best places to live inside the loop? I'll be commuting to downtown and to the airport occasionally for work. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-16-2007, 10:49 PM
 
2,584 posts, read 7,851,799 times
Reputation: 1916
Which airport? Hobby or Intercontinental?

Price range will be a big determining factor, but what about other criteria? Can you elaborate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2007, 12:05 AM
 
45 posts, read 367,915 times
Reputation: 44
If you don't have kids (or will send them to private schools) you should consider the heights, called Houston Heights. It has a great location as it's only 5 mins to downtown. It has plenty of larger older houses on great lots with lots of character.

Negatives are that since it is a hot area it is expensive ($400 to $750k), and the schools aren't very good.

Montrose is another popular area close to downtown with better schools zoned to it. Houses here tend to be bungalows though, but they are priced like larger houses.

If you're budget consience and want to live the the heights "area" you could try Shady Acres which is further west. It kind of has negative character though since its almost all 50's ranch single story houses. But it costs far less than the heights which is something to consider.

If you want to live in new construction you are pretty much limited to townhouses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2007, 06:27 AM
 
Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,455,793 times
Reputation: 1942
Default hisd has good schools

There are good schools in the Heights. The neighborhood has made a concerted effort to return to its neighborhood schools. They want to be a part of the solution rather than keep perpetuating the problems that can occur in communities left behind as a result of white flight (nowadays middle-upper middle class flight perhaps would be a better term) to the suburbs. Harvard Elementary was designated a Blue Ribbon school in the past and is one of the top 20 elementary schools in HISD, Helms Elementary has a dual-language program, Travis Elementary is an amazing hidden gem of a Vanguard school, and Hamilton Middle School has Vanguard, dual language, and pre-AP programs. All have high parent involvement and community support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2007, 11:35 AM
 
7 posts, read 35,695 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Which airport? Hobby or Intercontinental?

Price range will be a big determining factor, but what about other criteria? Can you elaborate?
Probably Hobby Airport for travel, price range between $500 and $1200 I just need a one bedroom for about six months while I scope out the areas and decide to rent or buy. A bigger apartment would be nice as the misses will be at home with a baby. A neighborhood where we can walking around in the evening would be preferable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2007, 07:39 AM
 
321 posts, read 1,333,160 times
Reputation: 92
I grew up in this neighborhood since 1957 and attended said schools. I was and am an urban warrior who stayed and turned things around. Thank you! Some of us make a difference and don't run away.


Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
There are good schools in the Heights. The neighborhood has made a concerted effort to return to its neighborhood schools. They want to be a part of the solution rather than keep perpetuating the problems that can occur in communities left behind as a result of white flight (nowadays middle-upper middle class flight perhaps would be a better term) to the suburbs. Harvard Elementary was designated a Blue Ribbon school in the past and is one of the top 20 elementary schools in HISD, Helms Elementary has a dual-language program, Travis Elementary is an amazing hidden gem of a Vanguard school, and Hamilton Middle School has Vanguard, dual language, and pre-AP programs. All have high parent involvement and community support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2007, 08:07 AM
 
Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 7,461,771 times
Reputation: 444
I pass by the intersection of westpark dr and 610, not sure if this is all Rice area. and I see this area is for a young family with a dog and baby. not sure but i think they have a pool for dogs - anyway, the people with their dogs seem to socialize around this pool/walking trail. this area is a stone throw from my wife's work in kirby/59 and maybe 5mins from my work in polk/downtown. probably worth checking out.
that barbecue 'shack' under this freeway intersection, has anybody tried it. so far this is the only bbq place thats actually reeling me in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2007, 04:41 PM
 
321 posts, read 1,333,160 times
Reputation: 92
The schools in the Heights are quite good. Just thought I would let you know that many a successful person grew up in Shady Acres and went to Heights public schools.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrip View Post
If you don't have kids (or will send them to private schools) you should consider the heights, called Houston Heights. It has a great location as it's only 5 mins to downtown. It has plenty of larger older houses on great lots with lots of character.

Negatives are that since it is a hot area it is expensive ($400 to $750k), and the schools aren't very good.

Montrose is another popular area close to downtown with better schools zoned to it. Houses here tend to be bungalows though, but they are priced like larger houses.

If you're budget consience and want to live the the heights "area" you could try Shady Acres which is further west. It kind of has negative character though since its almost all 50's ranch single story houses. But it costs far less than the heights which is something to consider.

If you want to live in new construction you are pretty much limited to townhouses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2007, 08:35 PM
 
45 posts, read 367,915 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti0 View Post
The schools in the Heights are quite good. Just thought I would let you know that many a successful person grew up in Shady Acres and went to Heights public schools.
Well, your main hs in the heights will be Reagan HS which was given an unacceptable ranking (05-06) by the TEA. HAR school information isn't working so I don't have SAT/ACT numbers, but I remember they were bad. Here's hisd's profile:

http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Reagan_HS.pdf

If you are in Shady Acres your HS will be Waltrip HS. While it got an acceptable rating, its SAT/ACT numbers were pretty horrible as well.

http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Waltrip_HS.pdf

Good news is that the elementary schools in the area are improving, but I don't see how anyone can say the schools are "quite good". I don't have any kids yet so it's not a big deal for me, but for an area that's become an upscale family housing area, the schools are a disappointment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2007, 08:53 PM
 
321 posts, read 1,333,160 times
Reputation: 92
Profile all you want.. do you want names and accomplishments? Too bad some people can't make the best of their honors education no matter what school they graduate from.

Trust me... its best not to put down schools and areas like the Heights especially in public..... the numbers of leaders and accomplished people would astound you. I know the place and the schools and many of the people.

I suggest that if a student is not capable of using what they learn, no matter what school they attend cannot help.




Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrip View Post
Well, your main hs in the heights will be Reagan HS which was given an unacceptable ranking (05-06) by the TEA. HAR school information isn't working so I don't have SAT/ACT numbers, but I remember they were bad. Here's hisd's profile:

http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Reagan_HS.pdf

If you are in Shady Acres your HS will be Waltrip HS. While it got an acceptable rating, its SAT/ACT numbers were pretty horrible as well.

http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Waltrip_HS.pdf

Good news is that the elementary schools in the area are improving, but I don't see how anyone can say the schools are "quite good". I don't have any kids yet so it's not a big deal for me, but for an area that's become an upscale family housing area, the schools are a disappointment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top