U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 10:45 AM

13 posts, read 53,441 times

Advertisements

Hi, We're moving to Houston in couple of months. Husband to commute downtown during regular rush hour. Are total taxes including ISD in Kingwood (Harris county) THAT much more than Woodlands (Montgomery)? If it will cost lets say 1% more in Kingwood, plus higher homeowners and auto insurance premiums to live there versus Woodlands, then it affects our decision since we're 'squeaking in' pricewise to either place. I have read that Kingwood is closer in, offers more house for the money, and a little more relaxed than Woodlands (?). And the roads are better for commuting downtown I hear. But I see online how beautiful The Woodlands is, etc etc! Please help us decide from a financial standpoint! Thanx in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 10:34 PM

832 posts, read 2,743,890 times
In Kingwood, I pay 3.08% in total (ISD included)property tax, before 20% homestead exemptions. My property tax works out to be about $4100 per year for my 3100 sf home. I pay $95 per month in homeowners insurance. Auto insurance for 2 luxury cars are $150 per month. Trail and homeowners association dues are $220 per year.

How does this compare to what you have been hearing about the Woodlands? BTW, I moved here from California and chose Kingwood over the Woodlands. Kingwood is just as beautiful as the Woodlands, plus it is Waterfront, and we a opening a new waterfront TownCenter (Kings Harbor)this summer. WE can also be downtwon in less than 30 minutes during non-commute

Old 05-17-2007, 10:38 PM

Check out

kings-harbor dot com

kingwoodonline do com

Old 05-18-2007, 08:44 AM

321 posts, read 1,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_bound View Post
Hi, We're moving to Houston in couple of months. Husband to commute downtown during regular rush hour. Are total taxes including ISD in Kingwood (Harris county) THAT much more than Woodlands (Montgomery)? If it will cost lets say 1% more in Kingwood, plus higher homeowners and auto insurance premiums to live there versus Woodlands, then it affects our decision since we're 'squeaking in' pricewise to either place. I have read that Kingwood is closer in, offers more house for the money, and a little more relaxed than Woodlands (?). And the roads are better for commuting downtown I hear. But I see online how beautiful The Woodlands is, etc etc! Please help us decide from a financial standpoint! Thanx in advance!
I prefer woodlands. Kingwood is infiltrated with what is known as "Kingwood Bears" little furry creatures with a black mask and striped tail,that come out at night... I hear they are quite vicious.

If you want to know what both communities are like watch the animated film "The Hedge". It sums it up.

Kingwood is filled iwith people with suburb taste and beer $$$. The Woodlands live in denial about anything. But my choice out of the two would be The Woodlands. At least they did not have a Cheer leading team who robbed doughnut shops at gunpoint or have car bombs like Kingwood did. Kingwood was also once voted as having the snobbiest High School in the country. When you look at them , you scratch your head and wonder!

Old 05-18-2007, 10:35 AM

Both areas are good, and both have there issues (like anywhere else). Kingwood, has the girl robbers about 10 yearsa ago. The Woodlands had the kids burning down homes last year. The snottiest high school went to Kingwood. The criteria was type of cars ($$$) in the parking lot, NOT the actualy kids themselves.

Both have similare democraphics. Both are majority GOP though both have active democrats.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:36 AM

BTW, we haven't had any issues the racoons and we are surrounded by a 200acre nature preserve here in our neighborhood in Kingwood.

Old 05-18-2007, 02:37 PM

13 posts, read 53,441 times
Thanx, BearBranch for the financial perspective on insurance(s) and taxes. That's more like it; I was fearing $300 per month homeowners insurance as well as auto insurance; and the prop taxes are strangely not that much higher than our Northern Virginia (DC) tax bill. For instance, our tax bill on 3500 sq ft home (homes are a tiny bit larger here since most come with additional basement square footage) is $3600 per year and going up 8% this year...not because of the tax rate; but the insane county property assessments. And my auto and homeowners insurance are in the same neighborhood as yours. Plus, your homeowners fees are very low compared to what I was expecting (here, $100 per month hoa fees gets your streets plowed when it snows, a few flowers planted at the entrance sign, and undependable trash pickup).

Of course, it all depends on the house we choose in Kingwood, but now I feel much better about looking at prospects there. Thanx. And never knew about the raccoon issue and the doughnut-crazy cheerleaders...but not so bad compared to where I grew up in No. VA...we've got bear, fox, and believe it or not a stray alligator as of last week. And crime...even in the nice area that we live in (I think it sounds like Kingwood but a bit more rural) we deal with major drug issues, real gang activity, and road-rage accidents. Northern Houston sounds great. Thanks for the info.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:26 PM

4,065 posts, read 13,366,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_bound View Post
and the prop taxes are strangely not that much higher than our Northern Virginia (DC) tax bill. For instance, our tax bill on 3500 sq ft home (homes are a tiny bit larger here since most come with additional basement square footage) is $3600 per year and going up 8% this year...
Check your calculations... a home appraised at $320,000 will have property taxes of over $9000 a year. HO insurance probably over $2000 a year. And very important is electricity rates that are 25% higher.. and you will use plenty of AC.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:53 PM

My calculations for my home are accurate. In Kingwood you can get a rockin 3000 sf home for 190k

Old 05-18-2007, 05:58 PM

I paid 180k for my custom home a couple of years back and it is 3100 sf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston