Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 07:28 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
my only question is if he where to get elected, would texas become a sanctuary state? i love this state but i would have to move i think if that where the case.

admittedly i dont follow local govt as much as i should, his sanctuary city BS is a big problem for me.

as for state income tax, why would we want one? our property taxes are lower then places like california, as they are now, they have an income tax as well. done them real well hasnt it? texas is one of the few states who actually has a decent fiscal policy and IMO not having a state income tax is a huge reason why. other states in huge trouble already tax the people to death, you would think that some of these "smart" people running things would be able to put 2 and 2 together and not get 6. lowering taxes, not creating new ones or raising them is how you get money flowing.
Probably.....he loves illegals.... Two Houston police Officers have been killed by illegals and he still supports them. The sooner he is no longer the mayor of Houston, the better...

houston police officers killed by illegals - Google Search

I think he dropped out of the race for the United States Senate because he found out that there is no way he could have won...

And I will NOT vote for him for governor..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 07:35 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Who can forget this? Not that this has anything to do with Mayor White of course.
I remember it and he caught hell for saying it...

Old 12-08-2009, 07:56 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,450,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i dont think you can compare nagin and white. mr chocolate city was/is in things 100000% for himself, white SEEMS to want to do good, even if some of this ideas are misguided.

same went for La's governor, blanco was 10000000000000% all about herself and where she could get ahead. those 2 are IMO 75% to blame for all of the problems of katrina but bush and fema and all those got the blame. realize that there are laws still in effect that say the us navy can not enter the waters of a state without the governors permission, and blanco kept navy ships ready to aid and assist out of NO for 2-3 days while she "decided" what should be done. obviously this is not the sole problem but one example. and bush got blamed for it.
The disastrous handling of Hurricane Katrina was rightfully blamed on everyone from Bush down to Nagin.
Bush seemed to have an affinity for screwing things up, so it shouldn't be surprising.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:00 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,863,814 times
I'd vote for Kay. Although I am very liberal, however, I think there's not much she could ruin. At least nothing left of it. In her ads she said she would take care of the border. So I believe her.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:26 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Probably.....he loves illegals.... Two Houston police Officers have been killed by illegals and he still supports them. The sooner he is no longer the mayor of Houston, the better...

houston police officers killed by illegals - Google Search

I think he dropped out of the race for the United States Senate because he found out that there is no way he could have won...

And I will NOT vote for him for governor..
If you actually look at the entire situation, Houston being a sanctuary city makes a lot of sense. Enforcement would be far more costly both fiscally and to overall police resources.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:39 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default Mayor White's problem...

This border issue could be either a Silver Bullet, or Stake that has the potential to bury Mayor White's bid. He openly allows Houston to be a sanctuary city, how can he defend a closed border with this albatross hanging on his neck? He can't. This is just one issue.

I don't live in Houston, but I always thought Mayor White has done well for Houston, but some things he won't be able to escape on a higher level.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:40 AM

635 posts, read 1,704,269 times
I think if Bill White becomes governor of Texas, he will leave after four years for the Presidency.

What do you think?

Old 12-08-2009, 09:55 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,705,568 times
I think he'll try to run for prez if he becomes our Governor.
He reminds me of a bigger Ross Perot.......with the ears & hair! lol!

Old 12-08-2009, 10:39 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
I think he'll try to run for prez if he becomes our Governor.
He reminds me of a bigger Ross Perot.......with the ears & hair! lol!
We could have done worse than Perot (actually, we did do worse 8 years later). However, I don't think I could have sat through a State of the Union speech with that nasally voice and the pie charts and big ears! I do think we ought to move away from electing "personalities" that we want to have a beer with, instead of someone who can get the job done.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:06 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Texas already is a "sanctuary state." Goodhair beats his chest about "fixing the border" and so does Kay Bailey Hutchison (who could still get my vote anyway) but they know where their bread is buttered. They all do. Their campaign donors need that cheap labor. Illegal immigration is very business-friendly. We're Texas. We like business-friendly and we like cheap. Besides, none of these people could "fix the border" if they wanted to. That border fence idea is a boondoggle and will be an expensive way to accomplish nothing. It just makes a good campaign promise.

The City of Houston does not have the resources to seek out illegal immigrants. Now any who are here and commit crimes (other than being here illegally) should be shipped out to ICE if caught since you have them anyway, but with our police shortage the manpower isn't there to actively go root them out and have them deported.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: