Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2009, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,224 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of a good home based child care that would be willing to take care of a high functioning Aspergers or PPD Nos child? (They can't figure it out after they sat with her for a...whole hour! She is in a PPCD Pre K now, but only half a day. Here is my pickle....I work full time and my mom used to care for my daughter half day, dress her and send her off, but my mom decided to move back home and left me stranded. I placed my daughter in a Day Care here, but this is what happened. The daycare said they had a PPCD program and so I started taking her there. However, in all reality that is a Katy ISD program and my daughter would be "benefiting from the program being there". The teacher at this Daycare has no idea how to work with special needs children. When I asked her if she did a picture schedule she said she was going to make one for her......one is used for the Katy ISD kids, but not if you pay to put them in the program separately. It was a joke. When I took a puppet so she can help with the redirection she said she would look like a fool with a puppet and wasn't going to use that. What? So Friday I was told not to bring my daughter back.

I have had so many problems here. Her Katy ISD PPCD teacher now is great....and works with her but prior to this....they had put her in the wrong school, and Ifound out a Para had disclosed to a substitute teacher a dislike for my daughter. Seems like this Para would provoke my daughter to get her agitated and this substitute teacher felt the need to call me. That was a whole crazy ordeal, but they moved my daughter to another school and she is doing great but I can't find care for her in the mornings!

Its like...you want to treat your daughter but you can't keep a job and the minute someone knows your kid has a dx, they can't help you! But...then everything the kid does is because of his dx! A tantrum is something all kids get with our without dx!!!!!

I am ready to stay home and care for her myself. The problem is...I truly need to work to help her. I am tempted to open my own home care exclusively for high functioning autistic children.....they play and have needs just like other kids. This A-cism is completely ridiculous. We get discriminated just because of that dx!!!

Anyone know anyone ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 02:08 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,177,234 times
An ASD kid who should probably getting more than just half a day of school. The social interaction for kids on the spectrum is crucial at that age for their development. Have you had an independent (i.e. independent of the school system and/or Early Intervention) done by a child psychologist? Do they recommend a full day of services?

By law you have the right to request a revision to your child's IEP and I think pushing for full day would be a good idea. It wouldn't clear up all your day care issues but it would help. Much more importantly, it would get your child the services they almost certainly need.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:14 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,706,996 times
She should be in a Katy ISD full day PPCD (from 8-3). After school she can be picked up by one of the daycares that provide bus service. Hire a high school student to meet your daughter at day care from 3-5 and pay her 10 bucks an hour to shadow your daughter so it doesn't burden the day care staff.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:44 PM

1 posts, read 4,951 times
Hi,
I can relate to to issues. My daughter is in the same boat. We can't find a someone to keep my granddaughter either, 4 and at a pre-school, and not old enough to atend before and after school programs. You are right, mention autism and people run. it is hard trying to keep dr appt, therapys, and work a full time job, she is also a single parent. if anyone could offer suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:10 PM

172 posts, read 785,421 times
I agree with professorsenator- getting a review of your child's IEP is something you might need to do. Don't worry about being the "bossy parent who thinks she knows it all" because you know what, YOU are the one is in the end is going to set up her future. If it was their child, they'd do the same. So many parents leave it up to the teachers, and sadly many aren't in it for the right reasons. Their goal is get in, get out, try to smooth things over and make it easy. It's a hard job, but those in it for the right reasons are able to REALLY help these kids.

A full day of school would be the best option. I saw a lot of progress with students who had a longer day of school, even though at first there was resistance. Attitudes improved, plus the structure and schedule can be very good for the younger ones on the spectrum. It's good for any age though really. Schedules are a BIG help.

Keep your head up- you're a good parent for trying to better the situation for your child. Definitely a nice change from many parents I've seen.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,257 times
I'm in the same boat. I have a preschooler and an 8 year old. My 8 yr old has high functioning ASD aspergers and I can't seem to find a daycare that will be beneficial. I need to work to afford the social skills and and all the other appointments and can't seem to find good care. I've stayed at home since becoming a mom and planned on going back to work but it hasn't happened because he has needed me. It's a catch 22 because we need the money for his care. I'm so scared of him becoming the kid who gets abused by a caregiver because of his meltdowns. It's not just a temper tantrum and it could get bad if the caregiver doesn't realize that. Then he just gets tagged as a bad kid. I don't know what to do.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:05 AM

447 posts, read 487,968 times
Sorry, I can't help you with advice, because my son was only in PPCD/regular classes of pre K. Plus we lived in Conroe ISD.
But I can tell you, that from our own experiences, TX is much better(for us) than NY state. We lived in NY and I still remember the pain we went thru, when every daycare and facility refused my son. As a mother- it broke my heart. Here, we started to see much improvement.
I just wanted to tell you all- as a parent of autistic child, how I feel for your struggles, and hope, that you'll find the right environment for your children.
Sometimes it feels like never ending story.

Good luck
Bo

Old 04-06-2016, 08:58 PM

277 posts, read 304,906 times
This may not be popular, but you are the best resource for your child. Our family home schools (15 years) and don't tell me it's too hard...I have been around literally thousands of homeschooling families and seen it all...a good percentage have spectrum children, whether it be asperger's, autism, dyspraxia etc. Most chose to stay home bc of the same experiences you have had. My niece was told she would never read for five years her IEPs were jokes and infuriated my sister. My sister works as a nurse (3 days) and her husband decided to stay home...at age 11, after only 6 months out of school...they taught her to read on a fourth grade level...two years later she is on a 6th grade level...she is progressing when the best schools said no chance.

Socialization is not a daily need for these children, consistency and love are paramount...who can love your child more? As they grow, introduce more activities...many great blogs out there to encourage you..I will try to find so,me...three of my students are Asperger's and manage well in my high school writing courses...they are loved dearly and they know it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: