Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 08:47 PM

912 posts, read 2,548,609 times

Advertisements

I support local 'lie-berrys' and am glad they exist.

However I went downtown to try and use the facility provided for the public and found it full of stinking bums using it as a day shelter.

I agree that it should be open to anyone however I saw

Dirty, pestilent looking people eating fast food on reading tables

Idiots mouthing their purile garbage at the top of their voices- a taser would resolve this nicely

Scabby sots sleeping with a book grasped in their festering hands

'Homies' making out or having loud cellphone conversations about their bail situation

Addicts obviously meeting up for drug deals

I went there to borrow some books and possibly use the facility to read. Sadly other people seemed more interested in hanging around, hogging all the seats and reading material (despite them not actually looking at it in the case of periodicals) and generally intimidating the tax paying, decent citizens who pay for all this.

They need a bunch of hardcore marshalls/security guards cracking heads and beating the living crap out of the SCUM that pervade this place to make it decent for people who *shock horror* want to go to a 'lie-berry' to read and borrow literature rather than hanging around like a festering sore.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:07 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,543,235 times
Grunn, the really dirty, pestilent, idiotic, scabby sots are energy sector rejects from Europe. I was under the impression that was common knowledge.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:07 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,140,203 times
Would argue public libraries are an incredibly archaic waste of tax dollars, much like mass transit in modern urban regions like Houston, Dallas or SiliconValley

Maybe 15yrs ago new Barnes&Noble/Borders supersized bookstores were de facto public libraries in newer suburban areas (and even in cities like Manhattan or Chic)

But in last few yrs, wireless Net/Amazon/Kindle/google have made bricks-and-mortar bookstores/libraries as archaic and inefficient as typewriters or printed newspapers or CDs or public pay phones or trains

Old 12-18-2009, 11:44 PM

789 posts, read 1,521,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Would argue public libraries are an incredibly archaic waste of tax dollars, much like mass transit in modern urban regions like Houston, Dallas or SiliconValley

Maybe 15yrs ago new Barnes&Noble/Borders supersized bookstores were de facto public libraries in newer suburban areas (and even in cities like Manhattan or Chic)

But in last few yrs, wireless Net/Amazon/Kindle/google have made bricks-and-mortar bookstores/libraries as archaic and inefficient as typewriters or printed newspapers or CDs or public pay phones or trains

Not true. There are plenty of people that can't afford computers to even look for things online like books. Libraries are where these people have the resources to get what they need.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:51 PM

190 posts, read 573,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpar View Post
Not true. There are plenty of people that can't afford computers to even look for things online like books. Libraries are where these people have the resources to get what they need.
I agree. Not only that, but quite a few of us want to actually HOLD a book in our hands as we read, rather than staring at a screen even more than we already do. Also, people might not always have the money on hand to buy a book, but don't feel comfortable using B&N as a library.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:59 PM

789 posts, read 1,521,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitrusFruit View Post
I agree. Not only that, but quite a few of us want to actually HOLD a book in our hands as we read, rather than staring at a screen even more than we already do. Also, people might not always have the money on hand to buy a book, but don't feel comfortable using B&N as a library.

Exactly! I want to hold that smelly book in my hands. I want to turn the page. I want to put my page marker in it, and not have to wait for it to warm up so it can load on a screen. I want it there when all the electricity goes out when a bad storm hits Houston. Heck, I want to take it to the park. Why would I take a Laptop to a park?

Sorry about the rant. I just don't like when people forget about the little people. Everyone can't afford everything.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:20 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,840,558 times
Well, gotta go somewhere....

Old 12-19-2009, 02:01 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,580,095 times
I have not lived in Houston for more than 25 yrs but when I did--the same story was being told...

Old 12-19-2009, 06:04 AM

407 posts, read 1,730,946 times
Quote:
You can "check out" audiobooks, ebooks and even music through both the Houston Public and the Harris County libraries. It's free and you can do it from your home.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:17 AM

912 posts, read 2,548,609 times
The point isn't that these 'people' shouldn't be allowed in, more that they shouldn't be allowed to use it to eat greasy chicken, sleep, feel up their girlfriend or sell drugs.

Also what's with these people having cellphones and talking on them in a fecking 'lie-berry'.

There was some bum snoring his head off last time I was in there. Where are the staff in all this? Why don't the security guards kick this dross out?

It's seriously out of control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston