U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 02:39 PM

1,124 posts, read 1,626,875 times
I was crossing the street with a baby in a stroller when some guy in a truck literally threatened to run us down. I had a walk signal; he was turning left and didn't want to wait for us to get out of the way. He sped forward as if he was going to hit us, then stopped just short, and laughed. It was a really funny joke. That was the day I stopped trying to cross Richmond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 02:45 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,925,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epularis View Post
Yeah, I have noticed that Houston drivers are some of the most inconsiderate in the world. It can be raining and you can be on the sidewalk trying to cross the road and the cars (I mean SUV's) will not even slow down for you to cross. You have to wait for a looong break in traffic.

I have been in cities where the minute you make a motion to cross the street all traffic in both directions stops and allows pedestrians to cross, especially when the weather is poor! Why not in Houston where walking is a horrid experience.

The few times I have slowed to let someone cross, even the elderly, SUV's will just drive swerve around anyway preventing the pedestrian from even trying.
In comparison, though they're an aggressive bunch, too, Boston is a place where they'll almost go in reverse to avoid hitting pedestrians (especially students). From any perspective Boston has a lot of things going on mobility wise and while you can toot your horn all you want. You have to be careful though, because here, you might have a light rail, pedestrians, bikers, motorcyclists and other cars to watch out for.

I believe the real problem is that few people in Houston have experience being a pedestrian (outside of their lunch break). Once they actually experience and realize the fear associated with having a 2 ton hunk of metal flying dead at you at 100 MPH, then they're probably a little more conscientious.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:55 PM

105 posts, read 170,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
In comparison, though they're an aggressive bunch, too, Boston is a place where they'll almost go in reverse to avoid hitting pedestrians (especially students). From any perspective Boston has a lot of things going on mobility wise and while you can toot your horn all you want. You have to be careful though, because here, you might have a light rail, pedestrians, bikers, motorcyclists and other cars to watch out for.

I believe the real problem is that few people in Houston have experience being a pedestrian (outside of their lunch break). Once they actually experience and realize the fear associated with having a 2 ton hunk of metal flying dead at you at 100 MPH, then they're probably a little more conscientious.
Very good point.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:36 PM

7,154 posts, read 7,509,203 times
Well, it's definately not me, I scored a lousy 29 - and only because of a strip center not too far away.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:32 PM

891 posts, read 1,869,879 times
Default Houston Street / House-ston Street

Probably the most walkable part of Houston is Houston (pronounced "house-ston") St. in Manhattan.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:52 PM

473 posts, read 407,214 times
I got an 86!

But of course "walkability" and "walkable" are not necessarily the same in Houston.
Attached Thumbnails
Who lives in the most walkable place in Houston?-100_0931.jpg   Who lives in the most walkable place in Houston?-100_0924.jpg   Who lives in the most walkable place in Houston?-100_0926.jpg  

Old 12-22-2009, 06:24 PM

473 posts, read 407,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post

I agree about the pedestrian experience of Houstonians. My wife (a native) never learned how to operate a crosswalk until traveling out of town. Drivers are much better in the loop than outside, where drivers seem incapable of looking to their right at intersections for bikes or pedestrians.

I was in Boston a couple of weeks ago and they were rebuilding the sidewalk at a corner intersection. The sidewalk was roped off, a walking lane was created in the adjacent street, and a full time cop was there to direct car and pedestrian traffic. And, all of the work was completed in a couple of days! I was told by Houston that the sidewalks on Richmond can't be fixed because the entire street is scheduled to be rebuilt after the rail is added (2014?). Today I saw 2 people in wheelchairs at different locations on Richmond struggling to get to their bus stops.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:47 AM

819 posts, read 1,129,215 times
Westchase.

The Meadowglen and Briarpark axis. I love it. Rated 77 vs the 55 Houston average (top Houston score 84).

It's clean, the mix of high rise offices with gobs of retail around. I like the vibe of it. Kind of a nouveaux urbanity that Houston doesn't get enough credit for.

Lots of people walk around there. It's reasonably safe even if my Mitsubishi got broken into twice (at least they had the decency to jimmy it rather than break the window). Just don't go to the convenience stores or get gas at night and you'll be OK. Avoid ATMs outdoor also. Buy some apples and get cash back, I typically do.

Nice 24 hour Kroger for anything that's needed. Love walking to the wine bar, Sherlock's, La Madeleine's, Marini's Empanadas, 713 Sushi, Rio Ranch (over-rated but when in the mood for conty breakfast at the right serving time, staffed by luscious Latinas, not a bad splurge), Starsucks, Basra Persian, Yao's...just taking strolls near the roundabout.

Westchase would be complete if they had the old Westchase theater there. I loved walking by that little train store on the way to a flick way back when.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:56 AM

889 posts, read 1,263,170 times
Don't live in Houston....

But live in Northern Pasadena, which i think has a VERY HIGH WALKABILITY, though for the most part not that WALKABLE.(Good thing they're currently redoing Shaver and Pasadena Blvd, while Main St is gathering Funds, and Southmore is in the drawing Boards...)

I got a 55, but EVERYTHING is less than 1 mile away, excluding bars....Ive actually walked to the Library, the mall, Walmart, School, etc

Old 12-23-2009, 01:52 PM

81 posts, read 126,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
Westchase.

The Meadowglen and Briarpark axis. I love it. Rated 77 vs the 55 Houston average (top Houston score 84).
FYI... 84 is just an average score of the top 10%. The average for downtown is 87.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston