U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-28-2009, 07:47 PM

889 posts, read 1,272,982 times
I think one poster summed it up nicely with the following paraphrased statement:

Dallas is more like the TV LA
While Houston is more like the real LA

Sure both have similarities to LA, but Houston just has more. One could care less.

With Dallas being more "fashionable", some people mistake it as pretentiousness. But in some cases the two intertwine. I think in the top 10 cosmopolitan thread, one Dallas poster said Dallas was the 3rd fashion capital of the US, behind LA and NYC. Wether thats true or not(im leaning towards no) when somebody puts themselves behind LA or NYC, it comes across as pretentiousness.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:01 PM

10,155 posts, read 10,501,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
I think one poster summed it up nicely with the following paraphrased statement:

Sure both have similarities to LA, but Houston just has more. One could care less.

With Dallas being more "fashionable", some people mistake it as pretentiousness. But in some cases the two intertwine. I think in the top 10 cosmopolitan thread, one Dallas poster said Dallas was the 3rd fashion capital of the US, behind LA and NYC. Wether thats true or not(im leaning towards no) when somebody puts themselves behind LA or NYC, it comes across as pretentiousness.
I read that too. Theres no way Dallas is the 3rd fashion capital of the US. One could make a case that its the fashion capitial of the Southern states minus Miami, but thats as far as I could see that going.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:20 PM

2,784 posts, read 4,117,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Fashion sense and attitude? I dont see them trying to be like LA in Dallas, theyre just being what they are in Dallas.
you win.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:28 PM

789 posts, read 895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post

I'm so glad Houston isn't fashion anything. I like the people here the way they are. They don't go crazy when they waste Grey Pou Pon on their jeans. Kidding, kidding. Plenty of people here dress up though. I "dress up" all the time. It's how I dress. I also wear jeans and a T-shirt. Who is to say what fashion is anyway.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:45 PM

12,308 posts, read 13,203,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I read that too. Theres no way Dallas is the 3rd fashion capital of the US. One could make a case that its the fashion capitial of the Southern states minus Miami, but thats as far as I could see that going.
According to a 2007 Reuters article, Vegas is 3rd in the US for fashion. Also shown are the 2008 rankings which changed very little.

New York tops list of world's fashion cities | Reuters

http://www.chinadaily.net/life/2008-..._6847555_2.htm

Dallas may hold that title for the South, but it wasn't even listed in the top 25 worldwide & neither was Miami for that matter.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:52 PM

Just found...

The World’s Top Fashion Cities : The List Maven - Lists of Beauty Tips, Fashion Advice and Shopping Suggestions

If you’re looking for fashionable US cities, these ranked top in the survey:
  1. New York
  2. Los Angeles
  3. Las Vegas
  4. Miami
  5. Dallas
  6. Atlanta

Old 12-28-2009, 10:56 PM

4,608 posts, read 4,957,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhouiah View Post
Hey everyone. This is my first post on City-Data.com. So I'm from Cali and am interested in Texas, specifically Dallas and or Houston. I can take the extreme cold (-50:includes wind sheer...Note: this is when I lived in Montana.) and the extreme heat and humidity (98 degress/89% humidity). I've read a few threads about this same subject, but I wanted to get a fresh perspective.
I've done some research of my own and compared the two cities, their economies, climates, cultures, transportation systems, educational systems, and health systems on a non-biased portfolio. However, before making a "decision" I wanted to get some of your views about these two great cities.
Beware, Houston is FLAT, as in before the earth was round and is laid out on a square grid. Dallas has speed bumps locally referred to as hills. Some streets stray from dead straight, probly to avoid the speed bumps. You won't need gears or brakes in either city.

Dallas does have one sheer zone for those days when you really need a drop off. It's some where in Inwood tho' I can't say where... can only find by personal search.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:09 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,341,929 times
One area in which DFW seems a bit more like LA than Houston is the number of film-TV-videogame-commercial shoots in the area or, conversely, films/tv shows that may be shot elsewhere but supposedly set in North Texas.

I don't have statistics (maybe someone can provide?) but certainly in terms of high-profile Texas projects -- the tv show "Dallas," "Walker: Texas Ranger," "Prison Break" for a couple of seasons, the new ABC-TV show "The Deep End" starting next month which was filming all over town this fall, some climactic scenes in HBO's "True Blood," the shot-but-unaired HBO project "12 Miles of Bad Road" -- DFW seems to have the edge. Throw in geographic cameos -- such as the opening scenes of "Zombieland," which were supposed to be Garland though it was actually shot in Georgia, or scenes in "Up in the Air," though that was shot elsewhere as well -- and it seems Dallas is more on Hollywood's radar than Houston is.

Of course, Austin beats out both Dallas and Houston and even Marfa -- "There Will Be Blood" and "No Country for Old Men" -- is getting some action. But it's mystifying why Houston -- which I think would make a great backdrop in many of the same ways that South Florida is -- seems to be overlooked. Perhaps Metro Matt or others down there can provide some perspective? Has the city not been aggressive in courting projects compared to Dallas? Now that the state of Texas is offering incentives to producers (though not nearly as lucrative as Louisiana or New Mexico), you'd think that a city as big and colorful as Houston would start to see more film/tv activity.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
One area in which DFW seems a bit more like LA than Houston is the number of film-TV-videogame-commercial shoots in the area or, conversely, films/tv shows that may be shot elsewhere but supposedly set in North Texas.

I don't have statistics (maybe someone can provide?) but certainly in terms of high-profile Texas projects -- the tv show "Dallas," "Walker: Texas Ranger," "Prison Break" for a couple of seasons, the new ABC-TV show "The Deep End" starting next month which was filming all over town this fall, some climactic scenes in HBO's "True Blood," the shot-but-unaired HBO project "12 Miles of Bad Road" -- DFW seems to have the edge. Throw in geographic cameos -- such as the opening scenes of "Zombieland," which were supposed to be Garland though it was actually shot in Georgia, or scenes in "Up in the Air," though that was shot elsewhere as well -- and it seems Dallas is more on Hollywood's radar than Houston is.

Of course, Austin beats out both Dallas and Houston and even Marfa -- "There Will Be Blood" and "No Country for Old Men" -- is getting some action. But it's mystifying why Houston -- which I think would make a great backdrop in many of the same ways that South Florida is -- seems to be overlooked. Perhaps Metro Matt or others down there can provide some perspective? Has the city not been aggressive in courting projects compared to Dallas? Now that the state of Texas is offering incentives to producers (though not nearly as lucrative as Louisiana or New Mexico), you'd think that a city as big and colorful as Houston would start to see more film/tv activity.
Don't lose hope yet.

There are big plans in the works to turn the Astrodome into a giant, state of the art movie filming set.

Austin & Dallas do have a number of movies/TV series which have been filmed there, but Shreveport, La. is really where its at. Its basically the Hollywood of the South.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:28 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,341,929 times
Agreed, as both Louisiana and New Mexico (Albuquerque now is the home to Albuquerque Studios and Sony's Imageworks) provide far more financial incentives/tax breaks for producers. That's why so much is going to Shreveport and ABQ these days. However, all things being equal, it would seem Dallas and Houston would be more attractive as they're bigger and more cosmopolitan. Even in this unequal context we have now though, it still seems Houston should be getting more than it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston