Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2009, 08:14 PM

645 posts, read 1,452,045 times

Advertisements

I will be in Houston next week(so excited), and would like to know where are the best night clubs in Houston.

Can someone give me some suggestions on some really good clubs/lounges/nightclubs as well as restaurants?

Besides the Galleria, what are some other great attractions??

Also, I would like to know would it make sense to get on the rail or bus from the aiport, cuz I don't feel like paying 40+ bucks on a cab or shuttle. Can someone help me out? I would really apreciate it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,522 times
I am from the East Coast, and the only club I have heard from here is the "Skybar". Never been to it, but heard it was good. As far as public transportation from the airport---the only choice is a cab--or a bus. No trains. Rail is not much of an option here ...only in downtown they have this small light rail service that takes you to straight to the museum district and back. And...once you hit Houston closer to Katy....no mass transit .....sorry. Galleria seems to be the place to hang out.....IMO....great city if you like to Shop and Eat.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:04 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
I'd go for a shuttle if there's a significant amount of luggage. There's the 102 bus from downtown to IAH but it makes stops in Greenspoint and is just a regular bus line. The METRO Airport Direct goes straight from downtown to IAH and it's $15 each way. Is $30 roundtrip better for you than $40? There is no rail to the airport, but from downtown you can use the rail or bus to get in any direction.

The Galleria is a giant shopping mall. Go there if that's your thing. Not familiar firsthand with many clubs. You might draw a box from Mid/Downtown, Washington Avenue, Montrose Boulevard and Westheimer and that area in and around that box would be the best nightlife/clubbing/bar area for a visitor without a car. The light rail and most of the bus routes serving these areas cover all the spots and are reasonably reliable.

The transit here is not on the level of Washington, NYC, Boston, Philly etc. so be prepared. It works as far as getting from point to point, but don't be in too much of a hurry to get from here to there.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:41 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,494,577 times
Houston is not pedestrian or mass-transit friendly. I've lived in many large cities and never owned a car until I moved to TX!!
But I digress...
Do you know someone here to help show you around? If not, i would consider renting a car, that way, it'll save you money fr and to airport and then you can drive around having fun b/c the bus routes are not always close by or quick and you might be in a bad part of town. And bring or rent GPS! Parking is usu free or cheaper than in many other cities, unless you valet it, and gas is usu cheaper, ie, today was about $2.35/gal so renting car is a good option in houston.
I'm not expert on the club scene, but it would help if you listed what kind of music, ambience and crowd you'd want to hang out in so that others can help you.
Galleria area includes the shopping mall proper, lots of nice shops and restaurants around it. A few good swanky lounges and I think there's a new "it" club that opened up on Alabama...but I wouldn't know b/c never been. Drink Houston is a popular one near Galleria b/c it plays several types of music simultaneously so you can usu find a dance floor that you like, and I think there is a Karaoke room too (it's been yrs since i've been there so maybe i'm completely off, LOL...).
IF you're into museums, there's a good museum district. Other stuff further out like NASA, Galveston. House of Blues has many live venues. Tell us what interests you...
Check out www.houtondowntown.org for current events.
Welcome to our city!

Old 12-27-2009, 05:52 AM

645 posts, read 1,452,045 times
awww thank yall soooo much, I really appreciate the feedback. I guess I will need to rent a car from the airport then. Thank Yall for the advice on that.

I will check into skybar and drink Houston, and will definitely check out the Galleria
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston