U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-29-2009, 07:53 PM
 
10 posts, read 31,089 times
Reputation: 15
I do work in energy, I will check the YPE group out (although I am skeptical since I've heard YPE events tend to be sausage fests)

I will check out Memorial Park as well, I have been there and it is very easy to meet people at the benches area where you stretch. It almost seems like girls hang out there just waiting for guys to talk to.

Any bars, clubs, or lounges you guys recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-29-2009, 08:24 PM
 
12,673 posts, read 13,085,029 times
Reputation: 2517
Women in Houston are definately friendly and down to earth. I am from California and the women there are more liberal then the conservative women in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2009, 08:30 PM
 
12,673 posts, read 13,085,029 times
Reputation: 2517
Facebook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2009, 11:07 PM
 
Location: 77059
7,712 posts, read 17,929,992 times
Reputation: 3766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epularis View Post
This has been my experience here. By a closed society I meant that you need to know someone to get into it. Strangers are not entirely welcomed in Houston as is my personal experience. Not that people are rude, no. They are simply not as inviting as people in other east/west coast cities...in my experience.

This is pretty true, actually very true. I have a couple of buddies who ran off to Florida and California because they said the scene here was pitiful. Maybe they were pitiful in their own ways, but they found what they needed/wanted, so...

This area seems to be more fit for guys who move down with their college sweethearts... and in some cases, college AND HS. And in too many cases it was all arranged to begin with. Been this way for decades, and it creeps me out sometimes.

Perhaps you can take a drive to the Galveston Bay Area, or past the exurbs deep into Galveston County and towards the island. Or if you're adventurous, wayyy out into Jefferson County (Beaumont). Lots of hot country girls in these places are extremely friendly and would have no problem inviting you in. (Extra points if you own a rescue dog.) No pretentiousness, no worries about inbreeding to keep the money in one place, and you're as bible belt here as South Louisiana which is almost nil. On the flip side education levels are usually high school and pregnancy = immediate marriage @ the JP. So be wise.

I guess it all depends on what you're looking for, but if I were single looking for some play right now, I know where I would be... and the (dead) core of Houston wouldn't cross my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2009, 12:24 AM
 
10 posts, read 31,089 times
Reputation: 15
Galveston eh, sounds interesting, might check it out for a weekend getaway...

But what exactly do you recommend to do in Galveston?

Hit the bars and clubs out there? If so which ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2009, 01:37 AM
 
Location: Inner Loop
789 posts, read 896,523 times
Reputation: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
This is pretty true, actually very true. I have a couple of buddies who ran off to Florida and California because they said the scene here was pitiful. Maybe they were pitiful in their own ways, but they found what they needed/wanted, so...

This area seems to be more fit for guys who move down with their college sweethearts... and in some cases, college AND HS. And in too many cases it was all arranged to begin with. Been this way for decades, and it creeps me out sometimes.

Perhaps you can take a drive to the Galveston Bay Area, or past the exurbs deep into Galveston County and towards the island. Or if you're adventurous, wayyy out into Jefferson County (Beaumont). Lots of hot country girls in these places are extremely friendly and would have no problem inviting you in. (Extra points if you own a rescue dog.) No pretentiousness, no worries about inbreeding to keep the money in one place, and you're as bible belt here as South Louisiana which is almost nil. On the flip side education levels are usually high school and pregnancy = immediate marriage @ the JP. So be wise.

I guess it all depends on what you're looking for, but if I were single looking for some play right now, I know where I would be... and the (dead) core of Houston wouldn't cross my mind.

Lol, wow. I think I live in a different city.

Last edited by Kenpar; 12-30-2009 at 01:39 AM.. Reason: Fixing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2009, 08:14 AM
 
105 posts, read 171,387 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybaright View Post
I do work in energy, I will check the YPE group out (although I am skeptical since I've heard YPE events tend to be sausage fests)

I will check out Memorial Park as well, I have been there and it is very easy to meet people at the benches area where you stretch. It almost seems like girls hang out there just waiting for guys to talk to.

Any bars, clubs, or lounges you guys recommend?
Ok, I was dodging around this b/c I could not figure out if you were a girl or guy. This changes things.

Bro, get yourself down to Washington Ave on the weekends. It is obscene the number of girls down there. Start at Ei8ht or whatever, hit Brixx, Taps, Schotskies (<---#1 for girls OMFG there are so many here), then head down to Peal, The Lot and wind it down at the Drinkery or make an attempt to go in reverse.

If you can't meet a few there then you need to get a haircut or some breath mints or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2009, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
15,524 posts, read 15,178,241 times
Reputation: 13821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epularis View Post
This has been my experience here. By a closed society I meant that you need to know someone to get into it. Strangers are not entirely welcomed in Houston as is my personal experience. Not that people are rude, no. They are simply not as inviting as people in other east/west coast cities...in my experience.

For example, a new person from out of town in my two different workplaces here in Houston, face 2-4 weeks of totally being ignored until people feel comfortable enough to start inviting them to lunches or conversation. After that break-in, everyone is as nice as can be.

If however that person is a UT/TT/A&M/TCU alumni they will have the red carpet rolled out to them on day one with a happy hour welcoming that first week.

I am not judging it, just trying to tell it like it is.
I would agree with the alumni part, but I dont think Houston is closed. People have been quite friendly to me, and I was a Yankee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2009, 08:57 AM
 
Location: Houston (Memorial) and Western NC
8,908 posts, read 15,146,604 times
Reputation: 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I would agree with the alumni part, but I dont think Houston is closed. People have been quite friendly to me, and I was a Yankee.

yeah, but considering where you work, you do have people and a system that somewhat vouches for you. At least people know you're not a felon. ...yet (just kidding)

Let's be honest here when it comes to female stranger reception: After college that filter system of knowing people that know people is basically gone. So, is a woman in her 20's-30's in a large city going to get into a car with some "random dude" that no one knows socially or on a work basis, or one that is the friend of friend and has "He's a good guy" stamp of approval?? Seriously.


Same goes for a sucessful man. He's going for the "She's not a nutcase" stamp of approval.

Just get to know people...lot's of people and then you will meet someone.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 12-30-2009 at 09:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2009, 10:44 AM
 
Location: 77059
7,712 posts, read 17,929,992 times
Reputation: 3766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpar View Post
Lol, wow. I think I live in a different city.
Either that, or you're just one beefy stud cake and/or the group I ran with were complete losers that needed tic tacs.

My buddies that got the hell outta Houston were much happier after taking the dive. I just think they set standards that didn't quite work out here. The ones who stayed around have the same story today, several years later, still feeling themselves. And the single career women-- I'll save that for another day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top