Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 08:17 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,829,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgmc View Post
What about the neighborhoods north of 610. Oak Forest, Garden Oaks & Shepherd Park? I was told Oak Forest is getting better and lots of young families are moving over there. Also was told the houses aren't as "cute" as West U but the neighborhood is the next "West U" in like 5 years? Are people really moving in and updating the homes? What are the neighborhoods like? Schools?
Anything under $300k in Garden Oaks is going to be small. It is a beautiful neighborhood and very popular. It's popularity has spilled over into Shepherd Park Plaza to the north and Oak Forest to the west.

Shepherd Park has the size houses you are looking for, but generally not under $300,000 unless they need considerable renovations.

In Oak Forest the sections east of the bayou are more desirable. Those zoned to Oak Forest elementary tend to command more. There are some larger brick homes in the northern section, a mix of tear down turned new construction, (but not under $300). The vast majority of existing homes are very small. Often originally built with one-car garages that often times have been converted to additional living space. It is a popular area and definitely very up and coming, although it won't be any kind of West U in 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 08:17 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,049,902 times
It's hit or miss to get into the Vanguard schools. I've heard that Oak Forest isn't yet popular enough to have a long wait list, but as posted above, TH Rogers, River Oaks, and the one in the Heights are tough. Herod is a Vanguard near the Galleria which is easier to get into. Neighborhood schools have Vanguard programs now; some are better than others. So if you test into Vanguard, but don't get into one of the Vanguard magnets, you might do okay in a neighborhood school.

Likewise, the most popular magnets, like Roberts and West U, are very tough to get a spot in.You need to apply widely to be sure you get in somewhere. I don't know what the procedure is if you are relocating here. If you live here, the application deadline is January 8.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:33 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,190,508 times
Spring Oaks is close to Bingle (Voss). Spring Shadows is close to Gessner. Also Binglewood - in between. All are much closer to your husband's job than Katy. These are not teardowns. They consist of 3's and 4's - and are much larger than Oak Forest, etc. I love Oak Forest, but once a family has two kids, most feel the homes are too small.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:35 AM

10 posts, read 35,775 times
We are relocating to Houston. Does anyone know the application procedure for the vanguard program if you don't already live in HISD?

Old 12-30-2009, 06:56 PM

does anyone know about the patio homes at 34th and Shepherd? Its a small gated community. What school do they zone to?

Old 12-30-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
does anyone know about the patio homes at 34th and Shepherd? Its a small gated community. What school do they zone to?
If you are talking about the Garden Oaks Court patio homes - it's Garden Oaks Elementary.

Last edited by cheryjohns; 12-30-2009 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-31-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
If you are talking about the Garden Oaks Court patio homes - it's Garden Oaks Elementary.

Does anyone know anything about these patio homes? Are they in a good location? What type of people are living there? I like the location and the commute to the Galleria wouldn't be bad. I just want to make sure its a good place for my family (2 kids/ 10 mo and 5 yrs.)

Old 01-01-2010, 06:15 AM

739 posts, read 2,261,484 times
THere are some good houses on Jones Rd by 249 and Louetta and also just west of 249 on cypresswood. It is not that bad of a commute to Galleria. Just take either beltway 8 to 290 to 610 to galleria or just take 249 to Bammel North-Houston and turn right. It will turn into North Houston-Rosslyn, Bingle, Voss, then finally Hillcroft when it crosses Westhimer rd. I usually go that way to avoid 290. You can also take Antoine I think it turns into Post Oak but the pavement is messed up its really rough. There are spots by 290 if you don't hit them square it will turn your car sideways.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know anything about these patio homes? Are they in a good location? What type of people are living there? I like the location and the commute to the Galleria wouldn't be bad. I just want to make sure its a good place for my family (2 kids/ 10 mo and 5 yrs.)
I have never sold one - just driven by them. The real subdivision, Garden Oaks, are smallish homes built in thr 40's and 50's. Those are expensive due to nearness to downtown. Young professionals mixed with older empty nesters. I don't know the demographic make up of the patio homes, but there is not exactly an abundance of kids in Garden Oaks. My guess is that they are probably young professionals that cannot afford Garden Oaks. Most people with kids tend to go the suburban route to get more house for the money (and yards).

Old 01-03-2010, 04:41 PM

OK, so where do young professionals with kids live that don't want to live in the suburbs? I stay at home and don't want to be waiting an hour+ for hubby to get home after work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston