Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 10:26 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,628,534 times

Advertisements

Well since it seems you have been listening to the numerous stereotypes about the area being not welcoming of Blacks..........I recommend the 5th ward!
Otherwise, Houston is a very diverse city and you will feel welcome in any area.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:07 PM

789 posts, read 1,527,634 times
I'm sorry. But this has to be one of the worst Threads/Questions I have seen since I joined. For shame.

But, to be productive to the thread all I have to say is this is not the stereotypical south. You would have to go pretty far outside of Houston to find anything like what you heard. And even then, there aren't as many racist as you think. There are about as many down here than there are in the Northeast, hehe.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:33 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpar View Post
I'm sorry. But this has to be one of the worst Threads/Questions I have seen since I joined. For shame.

But, to be productive to the thread all I have to say is this is not the stereotypical south. You would have to go pretty far outside of Houston to find anything like what you heard....

You're right this isn't the stereotypical South. This is Texas.

I don't think it's a shame this question was asked either. Sad to say, but 90-110 miles to our east/northeast this is a very relevant question.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:36 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,059,766 times
Back to the real world - where this is a question worth asking...

77346 (Atascocita) would be a great location for proximity to Intercontinental Airport.

Kingwood (77339 and 77345) does not have a "racist" reputation - but the African-American presence is significantly smaller compared to Atascocita.

Further north, homes in Montgomery County/New Caney School District - have a more Anglo/rural reputation - and this is, admittedly, just an impression I have.

Compare the African-American percentage of population of the high schools:
Atascocita 24%
Kingwood 3%
Kingwood Park 8%
New Caney 4%

Old 12-31-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
You're right this isn't the stereotypical South. This is Texas.

I don't think it's a shame this question was asked either. Sad to say, but 90-110 miles to our east/northeast this is a very relevant question.
But, this person is not asking about 90-110 miles to the west. More like 15-20 miles in either direction.

But, thanks again Tstone. Everyday I notice people who I shouldn't take seriously. Keep it up you guys.

......Freaking old people.*Shakes Head*

Old 01-01-2010, 12:16 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpar View Post
But, this person is not asking about 90-110 miles to the west. More like 15-20 miles in either direction.

But, thanks again Tstone. Everyday I notice people who I shouldn't take seriously. Keep it up you guys.

......Freaking old people.*Shakes Head*

Yeah, west.... Is west and east and any other direction teh same thing on teh iPhone nowadays?

Us damn old 31 year olds.

My reasoning-- the Golden Triangle is at our doorstep (90-110 miles to the east). I've been selling out hardcore, making a career there for 2 years and can say with confidence that area, as far as race relations go, is a powder keg waiting to explode. So I can completely understand why AA's come in here and ask about places near Houston they wouldn't be comfortable in.

The vast majority of the Houston area is not like this, hence why I say 'come on down.' We are not the stereotypical South, if even part of that at all nowadays. We're Texans, and we're better than that.

Go even farther east into Louisiana and get this: Interracial Couple Denied Marriage License By Louisiana Justice Of The Peace

This doesn't fly here, either.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Yeah, west.... Is west and east and any other direction teh same thing on teh iPhone nowadays?

Us damn old 31 year olds.

My reasoning-- the Golden Triangle is at our doorstep (90-110 miles to the east). I've been selling out hardcore, making a career there for 2 years and can say with confidence that area, as far as race relations go, is a powder keg waiting to explode. So I can completely understand why AA's come in here and ask about places near Houston they wouldn't be comfortable in.

The vast majority of the Houston area is not like this, hence why I say 'come on down.' We are not the stereotypical South, if even part of that at all nowadays. We're Texans, and we're better than that.

Go even farther east into Louisiana and get this: Interracial Couple Denied Marriage License By Louisiana Justice Of The Peace

This doesn't fly here, either.

Yeah I heard about the thing that happened in Louisiana. It was pretty ridiculous. Which is why I don't live in Louisiana. I live in Houston.

But for now, I am out of this thread.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:11 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Katy is very diverse. The Woodlands is mostly Caucasian.
I wouldn't say Katy is very diverse...yet anyways, at least not in the same way as suburbs like Sugar Land or Alief are. Pearland is blowing up too.

The Woodlands is moving further & further away from being mostly white. I've seen lots of Hispanics as well as Asian there lately the past several years.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:16 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,759,365 times
I hate to break up this Klan party but the OP needs the question answered ......."Where would an African American family NOT feel comfortable"..... I'd say stay away from far north , and far east....... Sugarland and Mo. City would be your best bet.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:19 AM

3,084 posts, read 5,237,943 times
I'd steer clear of most of the industrial areas and east of the belt, eg Pasadena/Deer Park, LaPorte, Highlands, Crosby. Baytown is iffy. Tomball is a no-go. Closer in, I'd avoid Bunker Hill Village and Bellaire. Kingwood and The Woodlands aren't necessarily hostile areas, but their lack of diversity is quite palpable.

Last edited by MrSykes; 01-01-2010 at 03:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston