Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 07:13 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
That guy is a genius. I've always loved his blog. I like the East End's chances. Across America, Hispanic neighborhoods seem to gentrify first. With the resistance the 3rd ward is giving I can see this causing the East End to gentrify even more quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 06:08 AM

343 posts, read 942,514 times
I agree with east end and near northside. I was looking into buying in these areas but the wife was having none of it...lol.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:12 PM

789 posts, read 1,527,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Lmao. That was brilliant. I heard if this book a while ago, but never looked into it. This site has been bookmarked.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:45 PM

958 posts, read 2,574,120 times
Maybe gentrification will finally get Sheila Jackson Leevoted out of congreess.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:07 AM

7,542 posts, read 11,574,791 times
Lets get back to org top not just the word gentrification

Old 01-17-2010, 09:33 AM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
With the resistance the 3rd ward is giving I can see this causing the East End to gentrify even more quickly.
Why would resistance to gentrification matter in Houston? There's not a whole lot anyone can do about it, save for buying all the property themselves.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:21 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
Why would resistance to gentrification matter in Houston? There's not a whole lot anyone can do about it, save for buying all the property themselves.
At the end of the day I think this will hold true. The efforts against it amount to so much tilting at windmills.

There is resistance to gentrification, both organized and otherwise, in much of the 3rd ward. I do think that will slow, but not stop, the process in there. Whether or not that is a good thing or not depends upon who you talk to.

These efforts against gentrification range from Garnet Coleman using TIRZ funds to buy up land in 3rd ward for affordable housing to people putting signs in their yard saying "third ward is our home - it is not for sale." (A nod to a previous episode of change in the Riverside Terrace area). The actions of some of the entrenched real estate agents in the area is a whole other book & chapter on resistance to change.

Contrast this to across the Gulf Freeway, in EaDo (I hate that name), or whatever you call out, on out through Eastwood, and I think gentrification has an easier path. EaDo already has a number of newer townhomes, the light rail is going through there. Most of the existing structures are warehouses so there isn't much displacement of existing residents & it is easier to assemble a decent size tract for redevelopment. These factors will attract the builders over there more than points south where the property is often times divided into smaller parcels and there is at least some level of resistance.

Eastwood offers the good housing stock and not only doesn't seem to offer the resistance to gentrification, but seems to be courting it.

Because of these factors I think, (but could get fooled), that 3rd ward/Washington Terrace/Riverside is a little farther down the list on becoming a substantially "hotter" area than the points further east.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:59 PM

2 posts, read 6,336 times
The Hiram Clarke 77053, 77045 area appears to be going through some gentrification. The area actually used to be quite white back in the 70s. There is high potential in this area because they don't have that many apartments and everyone knows that Low-Income apartment complexes is what can really mess an area up. The area is within houston city limits but its more rural-black than urban black. Most of the people there own one-story homes and a lot of larger, nicer 2 story homes have been built recently. A lot of master planned communities have sprung up and there is even an upcoming gated community being built on Almeda. 610, 288, and beltway 8 are all close to the area making it a potential candidate, plus its only about 20-30 minutes from downtown via 288.
However, the area is being gentrified to look more suburban rather than urban. If you want suburban style living in houston city limits, this will be the place in a few years.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:29 PM

221 posts, read 611,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missbebe View Post
The Hiram Clarke 77053, 77045 area appears to be going through some gentrification. The area actually used to be quite white back in the 70s. There is high potential in this area because they don't have that many apartments and everyone knows that Low-Income apartment complexes is what can really mess an area up. The area is within houston city limits but its more rural-black than urban black. Most of the people there own one-story homes and a lot of larger, nicer 2 story homes have been built recently. A lot of master planned communities have sprung up and there is even an upcoming gated community being built on Almeda. 610, 288, and beltway 8 are all close to the area making it a potential candidate, plus its only about 20-30 minutes from downtown via 288.
However, the area is being gentrified to look more suburban rather than urban. If you want suburban style living in houston city limits, this will be the place in a few years.
I think those damn refineries will slow it down, but I've noticed the new neighborhoods like city park west increasing values in the area.

However the immediate gentrification will definitely occur in the inner loop because people are simply trying to live closer to work.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:25 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
Kinda the way I was looking at it. Is there a problem with selling your dilapidated house on a lot in an improving area for more than you paid for it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston