Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 08:24 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,484,606 times

Advertisements

Smash and grab of my car in The Woodlands. Montgomery Police. 6 hours to show up (non-emergency), chaulked it up to "kids." Case closed.

Neighbors house in The Woodlands was robbed during the day.

I guess that's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 08:55 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,148 times
Nope, not personally. Been here over ten years now and lived in several areas along the west side and Sugar Land. Have been amazingly lucky.

However, I know several people who have been victims here. Mostly car break-ins. The exception was a co-worker who was kidnapped over near the Tully stadium area on the west side (used to office near there.) She ended up fine, but needless to say moved out of Texas and back to the east coast now.

Now, I lived in Austin for fewer years than here and had all kinds of things happen. Car broken into and every CD stolen (back before the age of iPods), apartment door kicked in, graffiti issues all over my area, and several good friends assaulted and mugged near downtown on multiple occasions. A few ended up in the hospital and the medical staff told them it was likely gang initiations. So much for Austin being statistically safer... just goes to show personal experience can greatly differ from how it's "supposed" to be (probably depends on the area of town too).

Old 01-04-2010, 09:11 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,414,293 times
I survived an attempted car-jacking in May 2005. I was stopped at a traffic light on Beechnut at Dairy-Ashford at 5:00 PM on a Sunday when I was rear-ended. I sat in my car, getting out my drivers license and insurance paperwork, when the same car backed up and rear-ended me three more times. That's when I looked in the rear-view mirror and saw five black men get out and stand by the doors of their old beater car, waiting for me to get out of my car.

The car in front of me then ran the red light, apparently to give me a chance to get away. But I didnt run. I got mad. I'd had lasik surgery the previous month and had special goggles to protect my eyes from wind damage. I put the goggles on quickly and grabbed my eyeglass case, holding it like a gun. Then I took a "shooter stance" and aimed the eyeglass case at the five men. They ran like the cowards they were, abandoning their car on the street.

By then the traffic light had turned green, although most of the other drivers were still there, watching the drama. I got back in my car and drove off to the nearest "safe area" to check my car for damage. The damage was minimal and, after I calmed down, I drove off to run some errands.

I didnt report the incident to the police. In retrospect, I realize that my gut reaction was not very intelligent. But the experience taught me a few things and the next time someone tries to car-jack me, he'll find something more deadly than an eyeglass glass pointing at him.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:19 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,729,484 times
Nope, nothing here.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:26 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,689,699 times
Car got broken into, stereo stolen. HPD said 'here is your case number', for me to file with the insurance so I could get it fixed. Apparently they don't respond to burglary of a vehicle because it is so common.

From what I gather, they don't always respond if your home burglar alarm goes off and your monitoring service calls them.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:30 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,414,293 times
they don't always respond if your home burglar alarm goes off and your monitoring service calls them

As I understand it, they may not respond if your burglar alarm permit isnt up to date. (You'd be surprised how many people dont pay the annual renewal fee on their alarm system.) Apparently the PD checks its computer system to see if the permit is in force before responding to an alarm call. That's what happened to a friend of mine.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:49 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,829,286 times
It's been over 20 years since I had anything happen to me, thank God. When Gunspoint was starting to first go down I still lived there in an apartment and a guy jumped me at the pool. A weekday and no one was there and he yanked a chain off my neck and was over the fence before I knew what happened. That was when I got out of Greenspoint.

When I was still living at home in Memorial Northwest off Louetta, my parents home got broken into. My cousin that also lived in the neighborhood had his truck stolen out of his driveway In 35 years out there that is the only problem either of them have ever had.

When I lived off of fashionable Washington Ave 6 or 7 years ago, it wasn't as trendy as it is today. I was kind of surprised I never got broken into in that house. It was real old (1862) and had doors onto the back porch from the front hall, the kitchen, the bedroom and the bathroom. There was no garage so it would be pretty obvious when someone was home or not. I had bums, er, I mean homeless come and knock on my friggin door asking for water, twice. But that was the closest to any problems there & it was nothing more than a petty annoyance. So far in 3 years in Glenbrook I haven't had any problems.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:55 AM

1,474 posts, read 4,994,936 times
just fashion crimes

Old 01-04-2010, 10:09 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,829,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
just fashion crimes
Oh Lordie, let's not start counting those! I would have a "rap sheet" a mile long.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:33 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,565,341 times
One of my friends got his car shot up with an AK. He was going to see his family on Cavalcade in the Northside and some fools rushed his car and started spraying. Luckily my friend played dead or that hot lead would've done him in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston