U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-06-2010, 07:50 PM

430 posts, read 1,103,327 times
Default another Q abt wrapping pipes

We live in our house and have the temp set at 68, so we're toasty warm. Do we still need to do something about the pipes inside the house? Attic?

About the outside spigots: on the other thread people are saying to wrap them... with what? A towel?

About the pool pipes: if we keep them running all night, will that be enough? Or do we also have to wrap them? Again- what do I wrap them with??

I am from Chicago and have never worried about frozen pipes until now. HOWEVER I will say in Chicago when we moved into a house with an underground sprinkling system we didn't drain the sprinklers and we had a pipe burst.

Do we have to do anything to the sprinklers here or did ours burst because the ground froze?

Final question: is it OK to wait until my husband gets home at 10PM to let him do all the fun wrapping, or do I have to bundle up myself and do it now?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 04:24 AM

3,700 posts, read 10,906,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomama View Post
We live in our house and have the temp set at 68, so we're toasty warm. Do we still need to do something about the pipes inside the house? Attic?

About the outside spigots: on the other thread people are saying to wrap them... with what? A towel?

About the pool pipes: if we keep them running all night, will that be enough? Or do we also have to wrap them? Again- what do I wrap them with??
They make a commercial product that looks like a tube that works as insulation for your pipes...about 1.50/6 ft. You can also use things like rags and tape or layers of newspaper and tape but they are not as durable. You can also get a 6 inch strip of fiberglass insulation and use that and tape and wrap it. They make insulated cover for the outside spigots about 1.50. Not sure about the pool as I don't have one.

Quote:
I am from Chicago and have never worried about frozen pipes until now. HOWEVER I will say in Chicago when we moved into a house with an underground sprinkling system we didn't drain the sprinklers and we had a pipe burst.

Do we have to do anything to the sprinklers here or did ours burst because the ground froze?
The ones in the ground should be ok but I would turn off the system and drain it to be safe (you won't need it anyway)

Quote:
Final question: is it OK to wait until my husband gets home at 10PM to let him do all the fun wrapping, or do I have to bundle up myself and do it now?
I would get it done by this evening when the prolonged freeze will be starting.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:28 AM

8,855 posts, read 14,813,661 times
Run the pool pumps during the freeze hours. Like mine are going to run today at 3pm untill tomorrow at 10 am. Blanket or towel the pvc pipes into the sustem. Blanket/towel the filtration system. Make sure all traps are clear of debree..polaris off.

Don't drain the pool in Houston. You will have a huge headache on your hands if you do. POP!

Old 01-07-2010, 10:24 AM

182 posts, read 492,757 times
A towel should work fine for wrapping spigots - that's what we did.

One of my neighbors wrapped his gas pipe / meter on the side of his house. ???

Old 01-07-2010, 11:10 AM

44 posts, read 92,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtk View Post
One of my neighbors wrapped his gas pipe / meter on the side of his house. ???
He may have thought it was the water meter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston