Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 10:34 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,557,794 times

Advertisements

Look up your account on HCAD and click the ' ownership history ' button.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 11:39 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
Look up your account on HCAD and click the ' ownership history ' button.
I didn't know that ! Thanks.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:33 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis7 View Post
There are many other examples of sheer DUMBTH in building in Houston (perhaps all over Texas). Another is putting the main breaker panel on the side of your house outside. Hey, that makes me feel safe! NEVER, Had I ever seen that until I came to Texas
Welcome to Texas where the politicians are bought and sold by developers and builders

Old 01-09-2010, 07:46 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
A lot of the older homes in Houston have the hot water heaters in the attic because they have DETACHED garages in the back of the house. The water would have to travel very far to get to the masters which are usually on the other side of the house.

I would never buy one of these new builds with a hot water heater in the attic if the garage was attached. Being that I have had a hot water heater give way and flood the area below it, I think it's unacceptable for the tract homes to do it that way. But I'm more than willing to deal with the risk to not have the garage at the front of the house.

My electric panel is in the detached garage...a much safer option. I don't understand having the panel on the outside of the house either. Pretty easy to mess with those things.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:51 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,857 times
Could it be that the builder didnt lay the copper pipe in the concrete slab as is normal, but is reaching the hot spouts by a drop in the wall method? I hope he isnt using PVC tubing...

Old 01-09-2010, 09:05 PM

108 posts, read 231,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Could it be that the builder didnt lay the copper pipe in the concrete slab as is normal, but is reaching the hot spouts by a drop in the wall method? I hope he isnt using PVC tubing...
My house, built about 7 months ago now, uses that plastic coiled stuff (not any PVC I am familiar with, definitely not copper) and my hot water heater is in the (attached) garage. Across from my hot water heater is my water panel (essentially a breaker panel, but for water to individual water "pipes" - separate switches for hot and cold).

My electric breaker panel is also inside my garage as well.

I never quite understood why anyone would want to have a breaker panel for their electric outside the house where anyone can just turn it off as a prank.

Last edited by CoderGeek; 01-09-2010 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: breaker panel for their breaker panel - that dun make no sense :D

Old 01-09-2010, 09:42 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,557,794 times
^ You have what is called a PEX plumbing system. It's polyethylene tubing. It comes in red and blue coils and is installed using mechanical compression fittings only. It's use is becoming popular by primarly high volume production builders because it can be installed quickly and therefore, cheaper.
The "breaker" box you're referring to is called the manifold. It receives the main service line and distributes water to every fixture, toilet, or tub in the house via it's own dedicated hot and cold line. This piping has been around for many years. It's use in new home construction is relatively new. Time will tell whether or not it performs as designed long term. It would be nice if the manifold itself wasn't entirely made out of the cheapest plastic material known to man.

Last edited by RCH99; 01-09-2010 at 10:05 PM..

Old 01-10-2010, 01:36 AM

108 posts, read 231,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
^ You have what is called a PEX plumbing system. It's polyethylene tubing. It comes in red and blue coils and is installed using mechanical compression fittings only. It's use is becoming popular by primarly high volume production builders because it can be installed quickly and therefore, cheaper.
The "breaker" box you're referring to is called the manifold. It receives the main service line and distributes water to every fixture, toilet, or tub in the house via it's own dedicated hot and cold line. This piping has been around for many years. It's use in new home construction is relatively new. Time will tell whether or not it performs as designed long term. It would be nice if the manifold itself wasn't entirely made out of the cheapest plastic material known to man.
Yeah, my builder (DR Horton) noted they had major issues with the early manifolds, having to replace many of them under warranty, and they installed a newer generation manifold in my house that hopefully wouldn't break as easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston