U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 02:30 AM

44 posts, read 74,690 times
Default Migrant worker population

I am a Pediatrician and am going to be relocating to houston, all my life I have taken care of low income Mexican migrant worker population and medically under served people. I want to open a pediatric out patient care office . Can anyone suggest me which areas in or around houston have predominantly this population with lots of families , I want to avoid any areas which might have street gang or very unsafe areas .
Feedbacks appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 05:35 AM

2,784 posts, read 4,115,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feibax View Post
I am a Pediatrician and am going to be relocating to houston, all my life I have taken care of low income Mexican migrant worker population and medically under served people. I want to open a pediatric out patient care office . Can anyone suggest me which areas in or around houston have predominantly this population with lots of families , I want to avoid any areas which might have street gang or very unsafe areas .
Feedbacks appreciated
Step 1 - Put map of Houston on a wall

Step 2 - Put blindfold over eyes

Step 3 - Throw a dart at the map on the wall

Step 4 - Open clinic

Old 01-28-2010, 05:44 AM

3,700 posts, read 11,095,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Step 1 - Put map of Houston on a wall

Step 2 - Put blindfold over eyes

Step 3 - Throw a dart at the map on the wall

Step 4 - Open clinic
Pretty much what he said but check w/ the Health Department. Areas of Galena Park, Aldine, East side are very underserved.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:58 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,086,290 times
Unfortunately though gangs and areas with a high concentration of the type of patients you're looking for are not mutually exclusive. Gangs tend to be comprised of and prey upon the very population you want to serve.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:04 PM

3,567 posts, read 1,592,572 times
SE Houston.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:05 PM

8,907 posts, read 15,129,905 times
SW Houston too.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:02 PM

468 posts, read 698,411 times
Neighborhoods closest to the ship channel.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:30 PM

19 posts, read 23,137 times
There a lots of poor people that need medical help. To make a distinction in favor of or against a person or thing on the basis of the group, class, or category to which the person or thing belongs rather than according to actual merit is wrong on so many levels and also called discrimmination!

Old 01-29-2010, 02:37 PM

430 posts, read 1,124,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy mickle View Post
There a lots of poor people that need medical help. To make a distinction in favor of or against a person or thing on the basis of the group, class, or category to which the person or thing belongs rather than according to actual merit is wrong on so many levels and also called discrimmination!
He is just saying a majority of this type, probably because he has the expertise (language, cultural knowledge, ability to provide service regardless of immigration status or insurance status, and knowledge of this group of people's issues) best suited to help these underserved people. I have worked with various similar groups and they would never turn away someone who doesn't "fit" this profile. On the contrary they would be welcomed in. Obviously no neighborhood would be 100% of one group, and the clinic would be open to anyone, even if they drove from a far neighborhood.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:48 PM

686 posts, read 1,321,365 times
Check out St. Luke's Episcopal Health Charities (http://www.slehc.org/chi/chis/psn/index.cfm?CFID=3102085&CFTOKEN=41029352 - broken link) web site to where clinics are located, and where they're not. You can search by type of clinic, languages offered, etc... It's a wonderful resource.

Also, you may want to consider partnering with an existing Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC), or an FQHC "Look-Alike." These not-for-profits receive federal funds and must comply with federal care standards in the provision of primary care.

Here is a map of FQHCs in Houston (there are several pages).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: