U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 08:35 PM

960 posts, read 1,054,943 times
One of the longest parts of your drive from Atascocita will be getting into Humble. 1960 gets really backed up and coming home on 1960 at rush hour can be a beast. You can take Lake Houston Parkway to the Beltway, but that can be a beast as well. Once you get onto 59 heading into downtown it's not so bad, until you get to the 288 split. Ick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 07:02 PM

2,785 posts, read 3,988,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayden1978 View Post
When did i say i wanted to live in a all white area! No i'm not interested in "white" power! I actually happen to be african american
Do you know Brother Clayton Bigsby?

Old 01-30-2010, 07:07 PM

6,285 posts, read 8,875,324 times
The comments from your friends sound like perhaps a family that is just prejudiced so to people like that -- yeah they notice Hispanics everywhere. Houston is just a large, major city and perfectly fine to live in. But yeah, we do have a lot of Hispanics - so if you don't like that, then this probably isn't the place for you.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:59 PM

108 posts, read 136,070 times
Quote:
Hi, My family and i are moving to houston in a couple of months for husbands work and are quite frankly worried about the move! Is houston still safe for americans to live in on a day to day basis! Friends of ours who lived there recently said the majority of the population speak only spanish and have no interest in anybody that does not! We are fiercely american as a family but have no problem with other cultures or beliefs but still like to feel like we live in America and not another country! Having traveled to mexico city a few years ago and was shocked at the condition of the place our friends told us living in Houston is just like that! Is this true! Sorry for being so worried! Thankyou
Actually, when I moved to Houston, I found that many of the Spanish-speakers (at least those I've encountered) have a strong interest in knowing or learning English, much more than up north (in my experience). In the rare occasion you encounter someone who actually knows no English (in a business/market/professional setting), usually their supervisor will take notice and handle translation. It isn't like up north (NY, NJ, PA, MD, VA) where there's an aura of it being your fault that you don't know Spanish.

Heck, just drive through the Hispanic neighborhoods of Houston and you'll see tons of billboards for schools and local organizations that teach English.

Now, be mindful that there are stores in Hispanic neighborhoods in Houston that target Hispanics, thus put up their signs only in Spanish. Even in those stores, I've been able to get service in English.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:05 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,079 posts, read 3,762,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Actually you have a great point there.

BTW. I also think that Austin sucks
Austin truly SUCKS!

On another serious note...I lived my entire life (except for 1.5 years...wasted in Austin, TX) and I LOVE Houston for all the many different things it has to offer. It is home to me. It is a fast moving city so if you’re not accustomed to that be prepared for it. There are many good things about the city...and you must explore but if you are not accustomed to a huge fast moving concrete city with extreme heat and humidity in the summer then you may not like it. However there are a lot of fun and interesting people and you will find some of the best medical care, restaurants, sport teams, colleges, very affordable living, modern ammenites and NO PERSONAL STATE INCOME TAX!. All Mexico Border States have high populations of Hispanics. If you don't speak English in Houston then you are definitely outnumbered by those who do. I would go to Houston with a very open mind but do your homework so that you can truly understand the many aspects of Houston. Keep in mind you will not see beautiful nature all around you and it really is hot in the summer and the air quality can at times be rough.

Good Luck in your journey.

Wow and I still love Houston!

Last edited by TVC15; 01-31-2010 at 12:01 AM..

Old 01-30-2010, 11:06 PM

11,215 posts, read 16,643,007 times
You know, for all I hear and read I cannot remember one time where I needed to communicate with anyone and could not because they did not speak English. Then again it's not like I can't speak a little Spanish myself.

Most of them who intend to live here long-term learn at least enough English to make it.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:14 PM
JL

6,299 posts, read 6,347,467 times
Quote:
Hi, My family and i are moving to houston in a couple of months for husbands work and are quite frankly worried about the move! Is houston still safe for americans to live in on a day to day basis! Friends of ours who lived there recently said the majority of the population speak only spanish and have no interest in anybody that does not! We are fiercely american as a family but have no problem with other cultures or beliefs but still like to feel like we live in America and not another country! Having traveled to mexico city a few years ago and was shocked at the condition of the place our friends told us living in Houston is just like that! Is this true! Sorry for being so worried! Thankyou
Be afraid, be very afraid!!! You need really really reconsider moving here!!

Old 01-30-2010, 11:52 PM

2,161 posts, read 2,800,581 times
Quote:
Is this a serious post? Have you ever been to a big city anywhere in the US?

To answer your question, I'm inclined to say that yes, Houston is filled with scary Mexican-Borg that are slowly assimilating the country. And I am one of them. Also I don't speak Spanish, but that is another topic altogether.

But seriously Houston is no more unsafe than any other big city in the continental US, and Houstonians will welcome you with open arms. If you happen to give any credence to Kiplinger Magazine, then you will see they have a very high opinion of Houston as a city to WORK, LIVE, and PLAY:

Kiplinger.com

Old 01-31-2010, 01:52 PM

105 posts, read 166,192 times
Quote:
Yes, it is like that. There has been a rash of babysitters stealing the kidneys of children in their care as well. The kids wake up in a bath of ice with stitches and their parents find them like that when they get hom. The mainstream media will NOT report it because they are afraid of the mexican drug lords.

It's basically a third world country here. If you do come though, make sure you bring lots of water because you cannot drink tap water either.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:32 PM

628 posts, read 258,501 times
Houston is a fine town; I lived there for a year, actually I lived in League City and I didn't have any problems. It's a good town for family but I was single at the time and I was bored out of my mind...but admittedly, I didn't exactly look for things to do (which there are plenty of things to do if you just look around).

Of course there are areas where Spanish is predominant but it's not like everybody only speaks Spanish. I live in Phoenix and we have parts of town that are like that, heck we have parts of town that look just like Mexico but it's only those parts of town...same thing with Houston.

Houston is really diverse and with my experience there were many highly educated people. I'm not sure where your friends get their info but they are flat out wrong. You and your family will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston