U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 05:28 PM

12,256 posts, read 12,385,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
This is a stupid thread with alot of stupid comments....yes Houston has a large hispanic population. Any border state has many Hispanics. Texas is a border state! You certainly do not have to speak Spanish to live here unless you really want to converse with your yard man and cleaning lady.
Hmm...can't say this is 100% accurate. A lot of jobs in Texas nowadays require or will only hire a bi-lingual person over someone who speaks just English. I know, I've been there.

You really think if I applied for work in The Valley or any other highly populated Hispanic area in Texas they would hire me being a Caucasian American who only speaks English? Maybe if my skin was brown they would...

Reverse discrimination is more real than most people realize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 05:35 PM

789 posts, read 856,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Although I included you in the comment, I guess it was more directed at AK than you. But I got your point. Your saying that you don't get the "Austin attitude" of superiority and it doesn't really offer anything special that you can't find in any other Texas city (which isn't true). But not all Austinites have a superiority complex toward other Texas cities. I think the "Austin attitude" is a bit exaggerated on C-D.
Thank You. But, I just wanted to let you know I never said Austin doesn't have anything that other cities. I have actually said that all cities have something unique about them.

And I don't think the "Austin Attitude" is exaggerated. I have only been on this site for a short time, and I can't believe how it seemed like people from Austin(and other cities) hung out in the Houston forum just to bash Houston. Also, anyone with a brain knows that not everyone in a certain city is represented by the users of City Data. And that is a good thing.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:09 PM

889 posts, read 1,220,650 times
I'm pretty sure this was someone who was genuienely concerned about the things they heard about Houston. And instead of getting a bad impression of Houston, and simply writing it off, the OP posted a thread to find an answer on wether it was true or not.

Instead, the majority of the people mocked the poster, and probably gave them an even worse impression of Houston.

To the OP, the things you heard were indeed false, and thank you for finding out about it, instead of believing the false statements.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:11 PM

5,249 posts, read 8,425,342 times
Quote:
Wait, sense Houston's getting bashed, we should turn around and attack Austin?
What was the attack?
Nothing was meant as an attack. Sorry, but a lot of Austinites do have an attitude of superiority with regard to the rest of the state. I didn't even say anything until someone came over to this thread to compare out of nowhere. And do you not remember around a decade ago when there was a push for light rail there, and Houston-bashing was used as a way of trying to convince people to vote for rail? On billboards and signs and everything. I don't think that sort of thing would ever happen here. That's just one example. I don't want to get into it any further, but it's pretty obvious in my experience that in general, that city doesn't have much respect for its larger neighbor.

Quote:
This was really unnecessary and unprovoked.
Really? Unprovoked? Okay, whatever you say! See below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by triwing View Post
I don't care that Houston is the fourth largest city in America. I do not like it and there is NO WHERE in or around Houston I want to live. ...
Austin, DFW, and even San Antonio have much more to offer to me WITHOUT all my perceived downsides (going against my particular needs) of Houston.
Off-topic and unnecessary.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:29 PM

234 posts, read 440,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
I'm pretty sure this was someone who was genuienely concerned about the things they heard about Houston. And instead of getting a bad impression of Houston, and simply writing it off, the OP posted a thread to find an answer on wether it was true or not.

Instead, the majority of the people mocked the poster, and probably gave them an even worse impression of Houston.

To the OP, the things you heard were indeed false, and thank you for finding out about it, instead of believing the false statements.
You can be pretty sure about that if you want, but for the majority of us the question was so outrageous the initial thought was troll. I don't think based on the OP that was out of line at all. I backed off my statements after giving the OP benefit of the doubt but don't act like the question was so clear cut.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:41 PM

666 posts, read 1,115,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
This is a stupid thread with alot of stupid comments....yes Houston has a large hispanic population. Any border state has many Hispanics. Texas is a border state! You certainly do not have to speak Spanish to live here unless you really want to converse with your yard man and cleaning lady.
For that matter, as a 20 year resident of WA State, I've been to Portland OR, and surrounding areas a time or two myself... and it is not lilly white perfect. Sure it has it's in-town yuppies, but there is much poverty, meth abuse, and people who can't make a decent living in the surrounding areas. I have an acquaitance to retold me of her vacation to WA/OR. While she was impressed by "educated, sophisticated folks" in WA, she wasn't impressed with OR where (her words,) everyone acted like fat, uneducated, missing teeth, trailor trash.

Was her view of OR off base? Yeah! I told her so too. But I imagine all the Texans listening to her "summer vacation" stories could have just eaten it all up (blindly) and believed every stupid word. Could probably pull up some hole-in-the-wall statistic to back it up too (like OP did with the hospital)

Where ever you end up... Houston or elsewhere, you're going to have to open your mind up a bit. And not be so gullible. It may not be just like Portland. But shoot, there are people who can carp pretty hard on that city too.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:46 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,306,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
What was the attack?
Nothing was meant as an attack. Sorry, but a lot of Austinites do have an attitude of superiority with regard to the rest of the state. I didn't even say anything until someone came over to this thread to compare out of nowhere. And do you not remember around a decade ago when there was a push for light rail there, and Houston-bashing was used as a way of trying to convince people to vote for rail? On billboards and signs and everything. I don't think that sort of thing would ever happen here. That's just one example. I don't want to get into it any further, but it's pretty obvious in my experience that in general, that city doesn't have much respect for its larger neighbor.

Really? Unprovoked? Okay, whatever you say! See below...

Off-topic and unnecessary.
Although I do agree that it is a bit uncalled for jump on a city's board and start bashing it, he/she listed three Texas cities and you singled out Austin. Poster never mentioned where he was from, and unless you've had a previous conversation with him about Austin, I didn't really see a need to single it out. Sorry, but that's just the impression I got.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:46 PM

889 posts, read 1,220,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonkers View Post
You can be pretty sure about that if you want, but for the majority of us the question was so outrageous the initial thought was troll. I don't think based on the OP that was out of line at all. I backed off my statements after giving the OP benefit of the doubt but don't act like the question was so clear cut.
The question wasn't a normal one, and did seem more like one that didn't warrant an answer because how outrageous it was. But after all of those responses, I was sure it wasn't a troll.

But that doesn't mean we can just attack, or make fun of someone, just because it seemed like they were a troll.

Let's say it was an honest to god person asking a real question. Then we didn't exactly act all that kind.

I wouldn't like to ask a question in another forum, and recieve pages of negative remarks...

Some of us just need to relax for a bit,including myself....

Old 01-28-2010, 07:49 PM

234 posts, read 440,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post
Where ever you end up... Houston or elsewhere, you're going to have to open your mind up a bit. And not be so gullible. It may not be just like Portland. But shoot, there are people who can carp pretty hard on that city too.
I guess that's the thing. You could assume the above or that the OP was a troll. I chose troll... in a sense giving the OP benefit of the doubt on that side too. lol

Old 01-28-2010, 07:49 PM

23 posts, read 25,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonkers View Post
I dont see how the question was so outrageous really considering i have never been to Houston or Texas and so i posted a question based on what people have told me recently! I posted to find out from you guys the validity of there comments instead of just assuming what they told me was exaggerated or not and NOT to be a troll!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston