U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-05-2010, 05:26 AM
Status: "My hands are up....don't shoot." (set 14 days ago)
 
Location: Katy,TX.
2,701 posts, read 4,115,720 times
Reputation: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post
USC, what you bring up, has been nagging on my mind too.

Alton Frailey (KISD superintendant) last nigh again made the comment that KISD is a destination school district... several (didn't care enough to write them down stats) how we are the 3-4th fastest growing district in the US, something along those lines.

It was said as a compliment, but I see being a "destination district" as having it's own can of worms.

Look at what you hear based on these boards about relocating. "Go to SLHS, CRHS,... they are waay better than KHS or THS or the whole dang north side." Says who? Some picking apart of test scores?

In not so distant memory Taylor High School was *the* high school to be in. All the rich kids from Kelliwood went and had the finest of everything. Now we have folks pulling their hair out about having to be zoned to Taylor "because it's so baa-ad..."

KISD has a history of build em and leave em... That's what kills me. Because your school can't be the newest and shinyest forever.

And the growth out here in the SW side. So many folks are here temporarily. We are a "destination district" so this is where they choose to land for their 2 year stint in Houston. Then they're gone. So they don't care about long range plans... they care about me, myself, and I... right here, right now.

Being a destination district is great for builders, realtors, families who need a "safe" move for two years. But KISD needs to learn to temper those folks with people who want to put down roots and stay awhile.
Very well stated, I've been reading your comments on Katy times and Inside Katy blog(chron)......you make some very good points
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-05-2010, 05:33 AM
Status: "My hands are up....don't shoot." (set 14 days ago)
 
Location: Katy,TX.
2,701 posts, read 4,115,720 times
Reputation: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
School districts do not change, they are fixed. Realigning within the district does occur.
I'm sure he/she was talking about schools getting re zoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
umm which MPC fell on its face in the past?
Take a drive down 1960/hwy 6 from Spring to Sugarland and I'm sure you can name a few......Spring is loaded with them, Bridgelands and Fairfield are on life support(lowering their prices), Copperfield has losts its luster, Mission Bend area, Alfie, Sharpstown, take a drive in the older parts on Mo City, far North Sugarland.........I haven't even got started on the eastside lol That being said I think they're all nice....but for some reason(I think due to over building suburbs and some w/ bad school rep) people are cooling off of these areas. WTF people are already moving out to Fusher(the next great thing after Katy is done) lol

Last edited by usc619; 02-05-2010 at 05:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2010, 07:41 AM
 
Location: Cinco Dinero
693 posts, read 1,159,324 times
Reputation: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Very well stated, I've been reading your comments on Katy times and Inside Katy blog(chron)......you make some very good points
Same to you... I tried to rep you... but apparently I have ...too recently. I'll have to spread some love around before I get back to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2010, 07:52 AM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
1,551 posts, read 2,636,366 times
Reputation: 2449
100% agree with the OP & others, this is a sad pattern I've witnessed in Houston suburbs all my life. It happens to best of the MPC's no matter how fancy they are in the first decade.

The Woodlands used to be the shining star of the exburbs....now those schools aren't what they used to be. Once upon a time Katy Taylor High was the "it" school of the west.......a mere decade later Taylor is a no-no that hurts homes values. Houston's 1st MPC in the 60's, Quail Valley with an upscale country club & home to the best FBISD schools......now they all struggle.

Tons of families who moved here in the 70's & 80's are now just 2 aging "empty nested" parents scratching their heads going WTF happened to my neighborhood? Why can't I sell my house for much more than I paid for it 20-30 years ago?

There's too much land. Too many greedy builders & developers who don't give a rats azz about the future of our neighborhoods. Too many buyers who only want brand new. And for those who want to leave that dreaded commute behind & head for the Houston..........they will find ZERO AFFORDABLE options for exceptional public schooling in the city limits.

We have a big problem people. Wish there was an easy answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2010, 08:38 AM
 
126 posts, read 252,139 times
Reputation: 53
Default Roots

This is something I struggle with while we look for a home. I really want a home. Not just a house. I want a place to establish roots.... our plan is to be here for the long haul.

Part of that feeling makes me lean towards Fulshear as opposed to SW Katy because the pace of life seems to be so much more relaxed there.... and they are only minutes from each other.

But then I don't know anything about the Lamar CISD. I'm not sure how to tell if it's right for my kids.... there isn't all the information about it on these boards like there is on Katy ISD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2010, 09:53 AM
 
159 posts, read 212,224 times
Reputation: 262
Suburban decay is a pattern that has repeated itself since suburbs were developed in the 50s. However, I think the decay process has accelerated to pace that really makes it hard to find a "stable" neighborhood and schools to reside in for the long term. It happens everywhere but I think Houston is a particularly bad place because of the cheap cost of land for developers and low regulations. What is being talked about in Katy and Cy-Fair was what they were saying in Alief and Aldine 20 years ago. That should tell you something about the future of those districts as history does repeat itself.

I think a lot of us with kids or planning to have them just want that idealized neigborhood where everybody knows everybody, the kids all go to public schools together from kindergarten through high school, and there's a true sense of community that seems to be lacking these days. Maybe that's how it was when we grew up but I think those times are over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2010, 10:27 AM
 
3,093 posts, read 5,646,560 times
Reputation: 2159
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
I'm sure he/she was talking about schools getting re zoned

Yes...sorry I know what I mean but didn't quite get it down on "paper" right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyhawk View Post
Suburban decay is a pattern that has repeated itself since suburbs were developed in the 50s. However, I think the decay process has accelerated to pace that really makes it hard to find a "stable" neighborhood and schools to reside in for the long term. It happens everywhere but I think Houston is a particularly bad place because of the cheap cost of land for developers and low regulations. What is being talked about in Katy and Cy-Fair was what they were saying in Alief and Aldine 20 years ago. That should tell you something about the future of those districts as history does repeat itself.

I think a lot of us with kids or planning to have them just want that idealized neigborhood where everybody knows everybody, the kids all go to public schools together from kindergarten through high school, and there's a true sense of community that seems to be lacking these days. Maybe that's how it was when we grew up but I think those times are over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
100% agree with the OP & others, this is a sad pattern I've witnessed in Houston suburbs all my life. It happens to best of the MPC's no matter how fancy they are in the first decade.

The Woodlands used to be the shining star of the exburbs....now those schools aren't what they used to be. Once upon a time Katy Taylor High was the "it" school of the west.......a mere decade later Taylor is a no-no that hurts homes values. Houston's 1st MPC in the 60's, Quail Valley with an upscale country club & home to the best FBISD schools......now they all struggle.

Tons of families who moved here in the 70's & 80's are now just 2 aging "empty nested" parents scratching their heads going WTF happened to my neighborhood? Why can't I sell my house for much more than I paid for it 20-30 years ago?

There's too much land. Too many greedy builders & developers who don't give a rats azz about the future of our neighborhoods. Too many buyers who only want brand new. And for those who want to leave that dreaded commute behind & head for the Houston..........they will find ZERO AFFORDABLE options for exceptional public schooling in the city limits.

We have a big problem people. Wish there was an easy answer.
No easy answer for sure!

We live in QV. If you've ever taken a walk around some of these streets you can see that much of the architecture is unique and obviously custom, homes still well-maintained. Many of the people we've met here are retired physicians, dentists, CEO's and college professors. Many of the people we've met who now live in Sienna Plantation in the same fields I just listed moved away from QV to upgrade into a newer community. When do you stop "upgrading"?

Again, I look to my parents' neighborhood where for the most part, people did stay put - they didn't go running off to MPCs which would have taken them further from work but would have afforded them amenities like community pools, walking trails, a club house, etc...

Instead, they went to the beach, area/neighbor's/family's pools, walked, played & picnic'd at their local parks. Houses have been in many of the same families for over 50 yrs now and the children I grew up with are back in those same homes raising their own families. Like I said in an earlier post, the schools have remained consistently good with kids ending up in good private schools both locally or in NYC or at the good local PS.

Maybe it comes to people readjusting their thinking & stopping the "newer and bigger sq footage is better". A friend who is struggling with some of these same issues & I were talking about how we both grew up in a 4-person household in ~2500sf. Our house only had 1 full bath - imagine that? FOUR people sharing a bathroom. We did fine! We had a family room but NO GAMEROOM!

It's not JUST the developers (who I grant you are everything described above)...it's US, too. I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting the best, as you see it, for your family. But with that sometimes comes trade offs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2010, 11:22 AM
 
1,474 posts, read 2,600,950 times
Reputation: 516
Are you guys serious? Alief was an MPC? I live there and I dont see any sign of MPC. Everything is a starter home community, mostly single story, many with shared lots/garages so its not "masterplanned" to last. I think its the same with that Jersey village/sharpstown/inwood/etc. These houses are only good as the first installation of its roofing and/or AC, you better get out before that time to replace comes. I think its unfair to compare to todays MPC. People who used to lived in these starter communities just dont want to admit they were poor and simple once before the careless lending era. people here are addicted to 'upgrade' mainly because they lived here all their lives and still keeping up with their classmates. I didnt want to live in any of today's MPC because I dont like that competition, with constant weeding test of who can keep up. thats mostly what it is. its like a fallout shelter, tons of rules for the benefit of everyone, everyone who can wake up everyday to keep up with the program$. I understand a lot of people enjoy that. I guess if you're not into it then you have to start giving way to the next transplant with lots of money to play the game. It's not like theres a limited supply of suckers out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2010, 12:14 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
8,831 posts, read 8,080,147 times
Reputation: 3094
A better comparison to Alief is North Katy/South Cypress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2010, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Houston (Memorial) and Western NC
8,850 posts, read 14,769,438 times
Reputation: 3998
Spring Branch ISD is virtually landlocked, and I think that's why a portion of it has remained excellent, despite the decay. But recents bonds passed and we are finally rebuilding schools and fixing Tully. Now, if there was something we could do about the quality of the schools on the north side. But it may have more to do with the kids/lifestyle than the schooling over there than the education provided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top