U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 07:04 PM

621 posts, read 1,133,723 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]Iím looking at a home in Royal Lake Estates (Richmond, TX). I discovered there is a coal power plant a few miles away (W.A. Parish Electric Generation Station). I spoke with a couple of residents in the community and they really are not concerned about health or safety issues. The homes in this master planned community are beautiful and sit on large lots. But I am having a gut feeling that a home in this community may have long-term impact on my heath as well as my family. LCISD is also building their new high school and middle school a few miles away from this same plant. Iím not sure if Greatwood, Sienna and BridleWood residents know of this power plant. Do you know of anyone living in this area and related health problems?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 01:40 AM

102 posts, read 184,177 times
I'm pretty sure everybody in the area knows about it. You can see it from miles away, it's one of the largest in the country. Don't know of anybody ever having health problems because of being near a coal-fired power plant. Remember, 100 years ago everybody was burning the stuff in their homes for heat, with no "environmental regulations".

Old 02-06-2010, 11:03 AM

The coal plant is the only obstacles to me closing on my new house. I was surprsied to see so many doctors and lawyers living in the subdivision. My environmentalist friend is spooking me.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:38 AM

15,767 posts, read 15,979,385 times
If you enjoy air conditioning perhaps you can live with a coal plant nearby. Do you see a black or orange plume coming from it? IF not I wouldnt worry too much, this isnt 1950.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:58 AM

460 posts, read 1,455,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdouglas View Post
The coal plant is the only obstacles to me closing on my new house....
Inquiring minds are curious: You were asking about this subdivision six months ago in another thread. Sounds like you are near closing and NOW you ask about one of the largest power plants in the country that's readily visible to everyone in that community? If it's not been an issue for six months, what suddenly brought it to your attention?

Old 02-06-2010, 12:06 PM

I did not realize it as there. You must go to the back of the community and you can see it. I discovered it on this post when I asked about landfills in the area.

6 months ago I was looking at another house in the same subdivision. I lost the bid (it was a foreclosure).

The subdivision is really beautiful.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:02 PM

49 posts, read 72,444 times
Yeah you can see it from all over Fort Bend county. Never caused any problems. Just makes funny clouds in the sky.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:23 PM

860 posts, read 1,594,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy914 View Post
I'm pretty sure everybody in the area knows about it.
I would strongly disagree with that. I lived in Sugar Land throughout most of the 90's and it was something that was rarely if ever brought up. Sugar Land has grown tremendously since, so I don't what exactly the sentiments are towards it today, but I would wager, considering a lot of people are very new to the area, many, if not, most aren't aware. And even if that was true that most knew about it, I'm sure it's something that most people don't want to emphasize about the area. Come on now, nobody wants to ruin Sugar Land/Fort Bend's awesome reputation.

BUUUT, the silver lining is, with renewables gaining steam (no pun, intended) fossil fuels could be rendered obsolete in the relative near-term.

Last edited by Alphalogica; 02-06-2010 at 08:43 PM..

Old 02-06-2010, 08:29 PM

860 posts, read 1,594,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhg566 View Post
If it's not been an issue for six months, what suddenly brought it to your attention?
I told him about it, which he did allude to in one of his posts.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:49 PM

448 posts, read 802,418 times
I worked for a while for a power company and in my opinion modern coal fired plants have very clean emissions. I would not be concerned in the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston