U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-02-2013, 12:48 PM

325 posts, read 293,765 times

Advertisements

I always thought it stood for "The Clown Jester". That's what I've always called it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 09:40 PM

648 posts, read 664,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroPlumber View Post
I just found this thread. I grew up on Saxon, a street that intersected T.C. Jester. I remember when the three Baptist Churches in the area were Oak Forest Baptist, pastored by George Richardson, White Oak Baptist and Baptist Temple. Others of course came later.

Baptist Temple was a great church then, although we went to Oak Forest. It was very respected and this thread really brought back some memories.
Coincidentally, my first home was on Saxon Dr. (1700 block). That was in the 50s. My sister went to the little school (Stephens?).

Did you know that Patrick Swayze grew up in Oak Forest?

Old 07-03-2013, 10:58 AM

913 posts, read 732,533 times
alot of people grew up in areas you would not expect them to these days...some are ashamed and some aren't...

I had to laugh when a caucasian lady told me she grew up in Yellowstone off of Scott...but that was common then but so many of them are ashamed of their past..

North Forest wasn't that North Forest we know today

Old 07-03-2013, 09:12 PM

706 posts, read 649,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonzo8888 View Post
Actually, "T.C." are initials for "The Court."
hahaha, that's what I was going to say

Old 07-03-2013, 10:52 PM

10,446 posts, read 10,189,622 times
A major street named after a pastor .... no comment, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
I had to laugh when a caucasian lady told me she grew up in Yellowstone off of Scott...but that was common then but so many of them are ashamed of their past..
Make it sound as if they were slaveowners or ran a who-e house

Old 07-10-2013, 07:06 PM

23 posts, read 17,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhg566 View Post
History

In 1908, Judge T.M. Kennerly and Rev. Frederkck F. Huhns discussed the need for a church in the Houston Heights. These two men led a meeting in a hall above Simon Lewis' store at 403 West 19th Street on May 31, 1908. At the meeting, nineteen people agreed to organize Baptist Temple, and Rev. Huhns was called to be the church's first pastor. The congregation continued to meet in this space for the next five years.

[LEFT]Then in 1911, Baptist Temple began work on its first building at the corner of 20th and Rutland Streets, land which had been donated by the Houston Heights Company. This is where the church has been located ever since.

[/LEFT]

In 1927, T.C. Jester became the church's fourth pastor. Dr. Jester was recognized as a leader in his church, in his denomination, and in civic affairs. Under his leadership, the Baptist Temple became one of the leading churches in Houston, and most of our present church buildings were either built or remodeled during his tenure.
Great info, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston