Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 04:56 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,069,331 times

Advertisements

I would be interested in renaming Piney Point Elementary in west Houston after Gelareh Bagherzadeh, an Iranian woman murdered in the Galleria area in 2012. Ali Irsan was convicted and sentenced to death for this and one other murder.

Bagherzadeh was an activist against the Iranian government and a women's rights activist, making her a good inspiration for HISD students. The current Piney Point Elementary does not have much of a relation to Piney Point Village (the part of Piney Point in HISD is zoned to Emerson and I doubt many people there send their kids to Emerson). Therefore I think it would be more suitable to name it after a prominent west Houston resident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 06:11 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,806,903 times
I would be interested in renaming Bellaire High School to "Schooly McSchoolyface of the High Priestess Mountains".

Edit: I do agree with the above suggestion of Gelareh Bagherzadeh.

Last edited by txdemo; 10-11-2018 at 07:07 AM..

Old 10-11-2018, 06:27 AM

958 posts, read 2,573,487 times
Would be A bunch of wasted money that Hisd claims to not have

Old 10-11-2018, 06:59 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
I would be interested in renaming Piney Point Elementary in west Houston after Gelareh Bagherzadeh, an Iranian woman murdered in the Galleria area in 2012. Ali Irsan was convicted and sentenced to death for this and one other murder.

Bagherzadeh was an activist against the Iranian government and a women's rights activist, making her a good inspiration for HISD students. The current Piney Point Elementary does not have much of a relation to Piney Point Village (the part of Piney Point in HISD is zoned to Emerson and I doubt many people there send their kids to Emerson). Therefore I think it would be more suitable to name it after a prominent west Houston resident.
The name is too difficult to pronounce. She fought the good fight though.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:08 AM

234 posts, read 292,682 times
I think Robert E. Lee High School should be renamed "The Barack Obama and Hilary Clinton High School for Free Stuff for Everyone, and Murder"

Old 10-11-2018, 07:09 AM

234 posts, read 292,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
I would be interested in renaming Bellaire High School to "Schooly McSchoolyface of the High Priestess Mountains".
Winner!

Old 10-11-2018, 07:12 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,806,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77030 View Post
I think Robert E. Lee High School should be renamed "The Barack Obama and Hilary Clinton High School for Free Stuff for Everyone, and Murder"
If you're going to insult someone at least spell their name correctly.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:17 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,265,511 times
Renaming schools is a total and complete waste of money. Any school to be renamed should be funded entirely by private money - no more public funds should be wasted on such stupid projects.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:17 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,069,331 times
Another school naming idea I like is having a school in the new Chinatown in HISD or Alief ISD territory named after a famous ethnic Chinese person. It could be Yick Wo (Supreme Court plaintiff) or a modern person like Gordon Quan. However it may be a better strategy to name a new school after whoever is chosen (apparently HISD wanted to make a Neff relief school or something?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77030 View Post
It was in fact already renamed... to Margaret Long Wisdom High School, after a teacher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Renaming schools is a total and complete waste of money. Any school to be renamed should be funded entirely by private money - no more public funds should be wasted on such stupid projects.
Often local school boards have no problem with it since the whole community usually supports it. In the case of big districts like HISD it gets more complicated since there are many stakeholders and not everyone agrees with every move. Honestly I agree with most of the recent renames (Margaret Long Wisdom included) since it's strange to honor Confederate soldiers in the post-1960s U.S. education system. The one I disagreed with was Sidney Lanier to Bob Lanier, but I imagine that one was fairly cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorprey View Post
Would be A bunch of wasted money that Hisd claims to not have
The HISD budget crunch, while shameful, will pass sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
The name is too difficult to pronounce. She fought the good fight though.
Sadly I agree the pronunciation would be an issue with the name - I'm sure though that some schools in the US do have some difficult to pronounce names.

Last edited by Vicman; 10-11-2018 at 08:39 AM..

Old 10-11-2018, 08:38 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,265,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post

Often local school boards have no problem with it since the whole community usually supports it. In the case of big districts like HISD it gets more complicated since there are many stakeholders and not everyone agrees with every touch. Honestly I agree with most of the recent renames (Margaret Long Wisdom included) since it's strange to honor Confederate soldiers in the post-1960s U.S. education system. The one I disagreed with was Sidney Lanier to Bob Lanier, but I imagine that one was fairly cheap.
Just because most of the people in a community support something does not mean they have money to do it.

I can think of lots of things that "everyone" might support that don't make sense financially. Fund it with private money, fine, knock yourselves out- but stop squandering tax payer money on stupid projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston