Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 03:04 PM

131 posts, read 410,608 times

Advertisements

Are there many homes available without HOA? I am currently renting in MA and won't be ready to buy a home for 3-4 years (so I know that a LOT will change between now and then), but I'm just wondering if there are a lot of houses in the Houston area that AREN'T in little subdivisions. Also, what is MUD? I gather it's some sort of additional tax Can I find a home without that as well? I am FINE with getting an older home...I would actually prefer to live on a street where all the houses look different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 03:18 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,186 times
MUD is Municipal Utility District. It will add an additional tax to your property.

There are plenty of homes and areas not in an HOA or MUD. I would recommend finding a place that has some type of enforcement, whether it's an HOA or neighborhood enforcement.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:10 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,736,420 times
Enjoy your new neighbors without a HoA:

Old 02-12-2010, 07:36 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Enjoy your new neighbors without a HoA:
Careful of the scare tactics.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:37 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
As Chris_UT pointed out above....there are no zoning laws in Houston....So your gorgeous new home could very well have a strip club or worse built next to it. HOA's are the lesser of two evils.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:04 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,437,829 times
Just North of the area I live in (Klein area) there are some unincorporated areas that are basically "country" homes. People live on acres of land on little winding roads through some farm/pasture areas. 80% of these homes are well maintained, nice homes. You can really tell people care.

THe other 20% are not so nice. Typical low income homes that it appears the people have just given up. Rusting cars, trash piles, homes that haven't seen paint in 30 years, etc.

So places do exist without the HOAs. You'll probably have to buy a little peice of land in the more rural parts of the county. Just know that you always take a risk when you do.

THe above poster is correct, often times HOAs are the lesser of two evils.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
As Chris_UT pointed out above....there are no zoning laws in Houston....So your gorgeous new home could very well have a strip club or worse built next to it. HOA's are the lesser of two evils.
ABC 20/20 - Problems with Homeowners' Associations?

Old 02-12-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
The pros and cons of HOA's have been discussed in length over and over again, with nothing ever accomplished. Just search the threads.
We thoroughly checked out our HOA and it's rules and regulations before building here. I can live with it. Not always pleased with it, but...it's a hell of a lot better than having a 18 wheeler parked in front of the neighbors house or rusting cars and boat trailers strewn on the front lawns. Upscale neighborhood or not, it happens!
Like I said....the lesser of two evils IMO.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
The pros and cons of HOA's have been discussed in length over and over again, with nothing ever accomplished. Just search the threads.
We thoroughly checked out our HOA and it's rules and regulations before building here. I can live with it. Not always pleased with it, but...it's a hell of a lot better than having a 18 wheeler parked in front of the neighbors house or rusting cars and boat trailers strewn on the front lawns. Upscale neighborhood or not, it happens!
Like I said....the lesser of two evils IMO.

Isn't that the great thing about our country, I can choose not to give up my freedoms for a perceved well kept neighborhood, or I can give up my freedoms.

I'm about 30 days from selling my old house in an HOA neighborhood, and all they've ever done is given me headaches. the fee I pay yearly for absolutely nothing will end soon, yay. The wheelbarrow that's been in my neighbors yard for the last 8 months with weeds growing up around it will no longer be my concern.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:22 AM

Agreed...to each his own. I haven't lost any freedoms and my neighborhood is well kept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: