Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 10:18 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,516,015 times

Advertisements

Who drives fast? So often I come across some clueless fool in the left lane doing 25 MPH under the limit oblivious that everyone is beeping at him, flashing lights at him, passing on the right while giving him the finger and cutting him off trying to wake him up.

It's so rare to see some one actually driving so fast as to be considered crazy and putting others in danger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 12:05 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,650,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
What part of Michigan you from?

We drive crazy because we have to. There is so much ground to cover, that if we took our time we would easily add 15 extra minutes to the trip. But, if you do see a silver honda on 59 cut you off... let me apologize in advance lol

Old 02-14-2010, 02:46 PM

34 posts, read 58,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
What part of Michigan you from?

We drive crazy because we have to. There is so much ground to cover, that if we took our time we would easily add 15 extra minutes to the trip. But, if you do see a silver honda on 59 cut you off... let me apologize in advance lol
lmaoo okay.....but im from Troy michigan

im sorry but yeah you guys do drive a bit crazy lol compare to were im from..Yes!!! but im getting use to it loll

Old 02-14-2010, 03:31 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,543,078 times
I noticed that people drive fast here when we first moved here (three yrs ago). Now it seems normal.

~K~

Old 02-14-2010, 04:20 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,122,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandy View Post
I noticed that people drive fast here when we first moved here (three yrs ago). Now it seems normal.

~K~
You probably just got used to it. Houstonians are notoriously awful drivers. I say my prayers when I get on METRO.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:32 PM

34 posts, read 58,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
You probably just got used to it. Houstonians are notoriously awful drivers. I say my prayers when I get on METRO.
Me too, like honestly hihihi

Old 02-14-2010, 10:34 PM

922 posts, read 3,850,132 times
Gotta say dittos on the "lovin' Houston" comments. We've been here officially for one week (moved from NYC) and already enjoy the easier lifestyle and friendly vibe.
As for the driving... I've found Houston drivers to be quite polite and reasonable, but of course, I'm used to NYC drivers . Driving is actually very easy and quick due to the lack of narrow streets, double-parkers and crazy cabbies.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:20 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,320,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
It's not people in Texas...it's people in Houston. I've lived in San Antonio, Austin, and DFW area and no one compares to the drivers here. I learned how to be an aggressive driver here just to keep up and not get run over!!

I have to disagree. I've been in San Antonio since October 1, and I've never seen drivers like here. Freaking nuttier than chinese chicken.

I chalk it up to the amount of transients due to the large military presence here. People drive so unbelievably badly, with such callous disregard for anyone else, that Houston pales in comparison. No one thinks twice here about crossing several lanes within yards of an exit, and that if you are in a median/center lane making a left, you can do so anytime and you have the right-of-way no matter who is coming at you. Freakin'-A, I have never been so paranoid in all my life. People here have a death wish.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:08 AM

93 posts, read 281,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I have to disagree. I've been in San Antonio since October 1, and I've never seen drivers like here. Freaking nuttier than chinese chicken.
I was waiting for someone to post this. I lived in San Antonio for two years and i've lived in(and currently live in) Houston my entire life, and the drivers in San Antonio are just plain terrible. In Houston at least most people have the mentality of left lane is the fast lane, so get the **** out if you're not going at least 75-80 on the freeway. In SA, people drive well below the speed limit, cut you off like crazy, it's ridiculous. I've been cut off more times than I can count in SA, and my roommate in SA was from Houston as well, and every time a driver did something stupid we'd be like "****in san antonio drivers". Also, I was in 1 accident in San Antonio, and that's the only accident i've ever been in(it was CONSIDERED my fault, but this dumb teenager was on her cell phone texting when the light turned green and didn't realize most cars don't exactly stop to text on green lights, so I just plowed into the back of her car, I think I taught her a lesson, she had a Spurs sticker on the back of her car so that was more incentive for me to not put on my breaks ).

But yeah, to the OP, you'll get used to the driving situation in Houston, just please don't be one of those slow drivers that crowds the fast lane in a minivan, or you're gonna get a nice honking, cut off, and i'll probably flip you the bird too, but it's nothing personal, just a friendly "**** you learn to drive and get in the right lane".

Old 02-15-2010, 11:11 AM

430 posts, read 1,250,663 times
What a shock to see a post titled "Lovin' Houston" ... is that even allowed??? Did the sun come up in the west this morning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston