U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-13-2010, 09:18 PM
 
Location: Houston
3,567 posts, read 1,592,572 times
Reputation: 931
Default Cheap eye exam

For contacts. The last place I wnet to wanted 100 bucks. I think that's way too much. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-13-2010, 09:42 PM
Status: "Character is what you do when no one is looking..." (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston
21,016 posts, read 22,187,467 times
Reputation: 49941
Try the University of Houston School of Optometry for very low cost, sometimes free, exams. You'll have to drive into town, but it's a top quality exam for a good price. You can schedule an appt via the website I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Status: "Character is what you do when no one is looking..." (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston
21,016 posts, read 22,187,467 times
Reputation: 49941
University Eye Institute: Home - University of Houston
or University Eye Institute: Appointments | University of Houston College of Optometry
please call and check for prices


also here( if you could qualify) http://www.aoa.org/visionusa.xml
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2010, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Houston
628 posts, read 1,246,580 times
Reputation: 492
I got my eyes tested at UH. The students do it with supervision and they are very thorough. Just be sure to allow plenty of time for it--a couple of hours if I remember rightly. The only problem is that they charge for lens fitting on top of the eye exam. Or you could try the Optical Place on Beechnut. The exam is about $25. I don't think they charge extra for the fitting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2010, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Houston
3,567 posts, read 1,592,572 times
Reputation: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleF View Post
I got my eyes tested at UH. The students do it with supervision and they are very thorough. Just be sure to allow plenty of time for it--a couple of hours if I remember rightly. The only problem is that they charge for lens fitting on top of the eye exam. Or you could try the Optical Place on Beechnut. The exam is about $25. I don't think they charge extra for the fitting.
I was gonna say that UH is a great idea and I didn't think of that... but that waiting hours for an eye exam is a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2010, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Houston
628 posts, read 1,246,580 times
Reputation: 492
It's not waiting for the exam that takes the time; it's the exam, itself. They are so thorough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2010, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Houston
3,567 posts, read 1,592,572 times
Reputation: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleF View Post
It's not waiting for the exam that takes the time; it's the exam, itself. They are so thorough.
LoL. It's just for the contacts. I need the prescription ( power). That dosen't take more than 5 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2010, 03:47 PM
 
Location: Houston
628 posts, read 1,246,580 times
Reputation: 492
Then try the Optical Place: The Optical Place, 4664 Beechnut, Houston TX and tell them that Scottish women Carole sent you. Maybe they will be really nice to me when I go back. Actually, they are very nice. I had lots of problems with my current glasses because the astigmatism correction in my glasses made the ground seem so close that I couldn't function. Bill tried a lot of different things, including making up different lenses for me to try before he worked out that it was that correction and then he made me new lenses without the astigmatism correction and gave me free the glasses he had made to try it out. I doubt if anyone else would have taken all that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2010, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Houston
3,567 posts, read 1,592,572 times
Reputation: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleF View Post
Then try the Optical Place: The Optical Place, 4664 Beechnut, Houston TX and tell them that Scottish women Carole sent you. Maybe they will be really nice to me when I go back. Actually, they are very nice. I had lots of problems with my current glasses because the astigmatism correction in my glasses made the ground seem so close that I couldn't function. Bill tried a lot of different things, including making up different lenses for me to try before he worked out that it was that correction and then he made me new lenses without the astigmatism correction and gave me free the glasses he had made to try it out. I doubt if anyone else would have taken all that time.
Didn't you tell them you just wanted an eye exam for glasses? Or did you have a comprehensive exam ( Medical testing)?
The 25 Dollars is for " when you buy your optical needs from us". They probably won't have the contacts I want.
I wish they would just let you buy the contacts without all this crap. Just wasting money and time....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2010, 05:19 PM
 
Location: Houston
628 posts, read 1,246,580 times
Reputation: 492
I had my test at UH, but because I was a returning customer and bought very expensive glasses, Bill overlooked that fact. Then he ended up having to retest my eyes. I must have cost him a lot of money in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top