Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 03:38 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSideWalk98177 View Post
Truly anything and everything. Mexican and Italian are musts, I hear homestyle American is amazing in TX; so I suppose that too!
I'll just throw a few city places out because goodness knows everyone has their list as well.

TexMex: my favorites are the fajitas at Lupe Tortilla off 59, and everything at Ninfa's on Navigation. I do love the latin fare at Seco's near the Village, but it isn't texmex. Pico's too. Too many others out there to name.

Italian: my favorite is DaMarco's on Westheimer, though there are many, many others.

OK, my head is going to explode. Just go to B4-U-Eat.com and search around. Top notch website that is very popular with Houstonians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 03:43 PM

19 posts, read 46,075 times
Cool, will do! How exactly is "Texmex" different than traditional Mexican fare?

Old 02-16-2010, 03:46 PM

19 posts, read 46,075 times
Oh and I've heard great things about DeMarco's!

Old 02-16-2010, 03:48 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,184 times
Quote:
Others might be able to answer with more accuracy, but basically it is Americanized Mexican food. For many Texans, this is what we know as Mexican. But if you go to Mexico (especiallly the interior and coast), you will find the dishes to be quite different.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tex-Mex:

Tex-Mex cuisine originated hundreds of years ago when Spanish/Mexican recipes combined with Anglo fare. "Tex-Mex" first entered the English language as a nickname for the Texas-Mexican Railway, chartered in southern Texas in 1875.[4]
Some ingredients are common in Mexican cuisine, but ingredients unknown in Mexico are often added. Tex-Mex cuisine is characterized by its heavy use of melted cheese, meat (particularly beef), beans, and spices, in addition to Mexican-style tortillas. Texas-style chili con carne, chili con queso, chili gravy, and fajitas are all Tex-Mex inventions.[citation needed] A common feature of Tex-Mex is the combination plate, with several of the above on one large platter. Serving tortilla chips and a hot sauce or salsa as an appetizer is common in Tex-Mex restaurants. Moreover, Tex-Mex has imported flavors from other spicy cuisines, such as the use of cumin (common in Indian food but used in only a few Central Mexican recipes).

There is a long thread on everyone's favorite restaurants on this site, so do a search and you will definitely find it.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:40 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,420 times
Quote:
More queso...

por fayverrr

Old 02-16-2010, 05:25 PM

6 posts, read 11,207 times
I was just thinking about how I should have included Stablewood as a place to check out.

Also, I am a big fan of El Tiempo(Mexican). Two locations, Richmond and Washington.And I second Lupe Tortillas. Both spots have fabulous beef fajitas. But the margaritas are better at El Tiempo. Just google them.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:51 AM

133 posts, read 480,504 times
Lupe Tortilla is fantastic, De Marco is out of this world. I still love Ruggles, Ibiza in Midtown, excited to see Brennans back in business, love Pappas for steak and can't beat the Stone Crab at Trulucks. For authentic Mexican (read as non Tex Mex) check out Otillas. Catalan is great for lunch or dinner. Max's Wine Dive. I could go on for days...

Also, because that horse isn't quite dead yet...please note, all of these places are at least 30 minutes from Royal Oaks.

Last edited by inwood dreams; 02-17-2010 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: thought of more

Old 02-17-2010, 02:44 PM

City Centre(yes spelled "centre") is almost complete now. It has great new restaurants/entertainment!
Flemings, Eddie V's, RA Sushi, Straits, Yard House, Studio Movie Grill, and more to open soon. All very close to the Beltway and I10.
Check out Lifetime Fitness for a gym. The City Centre location is just amazing. You can find out more information about Lifetime and the restaurants online.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:46 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,995,303 times
is living near a mall a good thing? like for returning (girl) stuff maybe

Old 02-17-2010, 03:01 PM

It's wonderful! Randalls (grocery store) is a stones throw a way. I can run go get just about anything and not mess with traffic lights or even traffic. And I don't live "next " to a mall. The local retail is drive up and park. The closest major mall is about 8 minutes away.

I feel so lucky to be tucked away in a family friendly community, great park, pool, walking/bike trails near by, exemplary schools, and plenty of near by retail. And my husband sits in traffic no longer than 20 minutes from downtown or the Galleria area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston