Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 05:43 PM

19 posts, read 46,082 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone. I am moving to Texas from Washington State and have some questions for all of you natives out there.

We are looking at some neighborhoods right now and want somewhere desireable and safe. Does anyone know about Royal Oaks in Houston? Any feedback is great.

Also - where are the good places to eat around Royal Oaks and what's the snake/spider situation??

I hate snakes AND spiders, so I realize this will require an adjustment. To be honest, I'm more concerned about this than I am about the weather.

Any and all input is welcomed. Also curious to know information about the ethnic blends and socioeconomic blends in Houston in general.

Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 06:16 PM

51 posts, read 119,297 times
It isnt the snakes or spiders you have to worry about.. its the giant flying tree roaches. I know my former roommate who was from Everett had a cow about those.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:32 PM

155 posts, read 542,218 times
I have ran across wolf spiders, (out in Katy) but I heard that they are harmless. But now that our subdivision is pretty much built out, I haven't encountered as much as I use to. I've only seen a snake once since moving out here (4 years ago).

Big bug's was also a concern for me prior to moving out here, but in time I got use to seeing them...

Old 02-14-2010, 07:00 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,824,454 times
We moved here from the Pacific Northwest and my impression has been that there were way more spiders in Seattle than in Houston. Roaches, though, are another story!

Old 02-14-2010, 07:42 PM

129 posts, read 382,582 times
You should provide a bit more background so the group can offer advice outside of snakes and spiders
- Work location and willingness to commute
- Budget
- Education needs (private/public preferences)
- Other interests (country/open space vs. dining/nightlife/entertainment)

Old 02-14-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehtown View Post
You should provide a bit more background so the group can offer advice outside of snakes and spiders
- Work location and willingness to commute
- Budget
- Education needs (private/public preferences)
- Other interests (country/open space vs. dining/nightlife/entertainment)

Good point Mike, thanks for the reply!

- Work is not really a problem, I am self employed and thus would likely work out of my house anyway (thankfully, still self employed in this terrible market!!!)

- Budget is from $2MM - $3.5MM, but looking for gated communities.. I've been told Tanglewood is great but open and surrounded by less than desirable people (true or false???). I hear the homes in River Oaks are pretty old and such, so that's not really of interest. I'd ideally like something new construction or built in the last few years.

- I definitely want to enroll my children in Private School (any recc's as to good ones??).

- Golfing and nightlife are important.

I was told Royal Oaks is the place to be for my circumstances, but I'm obviously curious to know other's experiences on the area. Thanks for all of your help!!!

Old 02-14-2010, 08:08 PM

739 posts, read 2,135,530 times
You will probably want to look at St. Johns and Kinkaid for your children's school choices.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:17 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,831,345 times
Royal Oaks is nice, but if I were going to spend two or three million it wouldn't be there, especially if surrounding areas are of a concern.

Older areas have a lot of new houses. People just find the location, tear down the house, and build a new one. It's a Houston thing I guess.

At that price point I would look more in River Oaks, Tanglewood or Memorial Villages.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Royal Oaks is nice, but if I were going to spend two or three million it wouldn't be there, especially if surrounding areas are of a concern.

Older areas have a lot of new houses. People just find the location, tear down the house, and build a new one. It's a Houston thing I guess.

At that price point I would look more in River Oaks, Tanglewood or Memorial Villages.

I've heard about the buying and tearing down, but I am not sure if I want to go through all of that right now. I heard the area around Tanglewood was pretty bad.

Can you tell me more about the area around Royal Oaks?

Old 02-14-2010, 08:37 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,445,642 times
Drop some G's on a team of exterminators... that'll take care of the spiders and roaches. Then import a pack of mongoose to patrol your yard... that'll take care of the snakes. Or maybe build a moat around your house filled with sulfuric acid? As for keeping the "undesirables" away from your gated community, there are ways to go about that, but then who are you going to hire to kill the spiders, or cook your food, or wipe your a**?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston