Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 02:40 PM

7 posts, read 21,658 times

Advertisements

I received a ticket for parking in a handicap spot. This was overnight, so the ticket was issued using my license plate. The vehicle is in both mine and my ex-boyfriend's name. The ticket was issued with his name, but it is incomplete. There is no DOB or DL #, just his name and our old address. If this is not paid can a warrant be issued without all the info? The clerk said I can't show up for court because I am not him, and I have no idea how to get ahold of him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 05:04 AM

480 posts, read 1,698,451 times
Yes, a warrant can still be issued if the ticket is not paid. Just because the ticket does not list all the personal info, it does not mean they don't have it in their records. I have read some agencies are beginning to put less personal info on these type of documents, to lower the risk of identity theft (it was mailed, after all).

Just a word of advice - you need to take action to get his name removed from the vehicle title. I know that might not be easy, but you don't want to wake up some morning and find the car is gone because he has been a deadbeat, and triggered it to be repo'd.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:51 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,266,413 times
Default Here are some ideas...

Unless he is incarcerated, you should be able to find him. Try some Google searches for his name, address. Also, if he has Facebook, or MySpace sites, try those, post a message if he has a site. If after you make legitimate attempts to find him, and can't, he will eventually receive some sort of notice in the mail as they will have his address in the DMV database via his driver license.

Good luck.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:16 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,758 times
Try Intelius.com

Old 02-17-2010, 06:50 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,084,836 times
all i can say is are you handicap? if not DONT PARK IN THE HANDICAP SPACE! i have a handicap brother (lost his leg in iraq and has terrible burns on the other) and nothing pisses me off more then pulling into a shop with him and the handicap spaces being filled by some knucklehead who is either in a hurry and thought "oh i will just be in and out", or who just doesnt care, or even worse, buys, or borrows a mirror placard.

as for the ticket, yeah its gonna be a warrant for sure.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:14 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
all i can say is are you handicap? if not DONT PARK IN THE HANDICAP SPACE!
I thought the same thing as I have a sister in a wheelchair as well.

On this topic, is there anything you can do if you see someone park in a handicapped space and they don't have a placard? Is there a hotline to call? I really wanted to do something last week when a women breezed into a Starbucks by parking in the front handicap space, she practically sprinted into the store, and she did NOT have a placard...I don't think she had a non-visible handicap...I think she was a self-centered thoughtless jerk.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:00 AM

7 posts, read 21,658 times
Thanks for the answers, are any of you lawyers or in law enforcement? Are your answers valid? Some of you need to calm down and not be quite so judgmental. I understand the frustration of people parking in handicap spots, but I didn't do it on purpose, I just didn't realize it was a handicap spot. It was at my apartment complex and it was a newly added space that does not have the blue paint on the ground, which always catches my attention. I was in a hurry and I just pulled in, not looking up to notice the sign. Obviously it was my fault and I am taking responsibility for it. But people do make mistakes. I would never park in a handicap space on purpose.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:11 AM

73 posts, read 271,492 times
I think I would just pay the ticket and chock it up to a lesson learned.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:50 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,410,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypresstx31 View Post
Thanks for the answers, are any of you lawyers or in law enforcement? Are your answers valid? Some of you need to calm down and not be quite so judgmental. I understand the frustration of people parking in handicap spots, but I didn't do it on purpose, I just didn't realize it was a handicap spot. It was at my apartment complex and it was a newly added space that does not have the blue paint on the ground, which always catches my attention. I was in a hurry and I just pulled in, not looking up to notice the sign. Obviously it was my fault and I am taking responsibility for it. But people do make mistakes. I would never park in a handicap space on purpose.
So...then what is the question? You admittedly parked in the wrong spot. Pay the ticket. Done.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:31 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,445,460 times
I got a speeding ticket three years ago. I had cruise control on and was only going a few mph's over the limit... unfortunately I missed a speed limit sign that reduced the limit by 10 mph... so I got a ticket for going 10 over. Guess what I did? Paid the ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston