Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2010, 10:42 AM

913 posts, read 4,343,993 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if anyone has actually had a success story to rebate some of the realtors commissions from Buyer/Seller agent ?

Example 1:
If the same agent acts as a Buyer and Sellers agent (dual representation), he/she normally shaves 3% (buyer)+3%(seller)=6% commissions straight to the pocket.

Had anyone had some of the 6% back? How much and on what conditions?

Example 2:
If the Seller has selected the house with no agent help, he/she may find a buyers agent solely for a inspection/paperwork process. In this case they may agree to split the Buyers 3%. (say, 2% for buyers agent and 1% for the buyer).

Did anyone do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 10:57 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,053,581 times
Yes, it's very possible. I do it often, but it has to be negotiated UP FRONT.

*Don't use services with an agent then ask for a rebate after a set time.

Some people want to use any agent, have them show houses do negotiations, then finally ask them for a rebate. That's not cool because most agents frown upon rebates or are expecting to be paid fully. That's like getting a quote for work done, agree to quote, start work, then when it's time to get paid, ask for a discount.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:12 AM

967 posts, read 2,609,808 times
Yes, kind of...

in our situation... first we sold a home ($107K) with Realtor... 6%

then let the Realtor represent us when bought a move up home ($220K) (through a homebuilder, did our own research) so they weren't shuttling us around town opening lockboxes...

we got $2500 rebated by the Realtor after we purchased the second home.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:11 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,494,329 times
Yes. Not that I encourage this type of behavior, but I was in a situation where the market I was looking at has very few condos up for sale with criteria i needed and before i had time to find my own agent, I saw a condo I liked on the internet with sweet price. Called listing agent. Right off the bat, asked for a discount. She offered 4% totall instead of 6%. Got the contract in 2ds b/c there were other comparable offers and she counter offered giving me a chance to outbid other ppl-but still under asking price so was still sweet deal. Best part about it is that the agent, I'm guessing, wanted me to win the contract b/c she gets paid more than givin contract to other bidders. Anyway, now I have a realtor b/c i need to look at more than 1-2 houses and I don't feel right about calling up each listing agent and asking them to show, knowing there's a decent chance you won't buy the house.
I've seen ads for agents that give limited service for only 1.5-2%, don't remember their companies but that may be what you're looking for.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:03 PM

460 posts, read 2,427,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
I've seen ads for agents that give limited service for only 1.5-2%, don't remember their companies but that may be what you're looking for.
I'm using a 1% listing fee company right now (house under contract) and I've been very satisfied with their performance. 87% of homes sell from their Internet listing, so I saw little value in paying the listing agent more than a minimum amount. I'm paying the buyer's agent the full 3 commission of course. PM me for details if you want the name of my agent or his company.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:24 AM

913 posts, read 4,343,993 times
Thanks. In my case it is not listing but a buying agent I am looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhg566 View Post
I'm using a 1% listing fee company right now (house under contract) and I've been very satisfied with their performance. 87% of homes sell from their Internet listing, so I saw little value in paying the listing agent more than a minimum amount. I'm paying the buyer's agent the full 3 commission of course. PM me for details if you want the name of my agent or his company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston