Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2010, 01:02 PM

10 posts, read 38,701 times

Advertisements

What are the best school districts in Houston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 04:47 PM

430 posts, read 1,256,720 times
Katy, Pearland, Cy-Fair, Klein, Spring Branch, Ft. Bend, etc. If you use the "search this forum" button, you'll find other threads on this topic that have lots of information. Good luck!

Old 02-20-2010, 08:06 PM

75 posts, read 210,036 times
check out Texas School Performance Maps for an interactive map

Old 02-20-2010, 10:05 PM

129 posts, read 382,600 times
This question comes up frequently and people love to chime in with the school districs where they live. Yes, there are some great districts in Houston (see post above). But all of these awesome districts have some crappy schools as well. Don't pick your home based on the district alone! Do your homework and look at the schools.

Last edited by mikehtown; 02-20-2010 at 10:43 PM..

Old 02-20-2010, 11:17 PM

460 posts, read 2,427,242 times
When we moved here some years ago, my wife spent six months studying Houston area school data from all the metro ISDs. From that extensive research she identified about a dozen schools that were potentially right for our daughter. At that point we personally visited each and every one of them. We talked to the counselors about courses, schedules and activities. We looked at the cars in the parking lot (because I wasn't about to buy a 16yo daughter some of the car models I saw in some parking lots - and some schools had more of those models than others). We stood in the halls during class changes to see what the girls were wearing (especially shoes and purses), and how they made up their hair. We ruled out well known and highly regarded schools for a variety of reasons because they weren't right for our daughter. And we (my wife) finally had to compromise on a new home because they were too expensive in the area that was zoned to the school she selected.

My point? that before you make your final decision you really, really, really need to visit the school, talk to the staff, see the kids and take in as much of the school experience as you can. You may not wish to do the research my wife did (few people would), but at least spend half a day at the school before you seal the deal.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 9,341 times
Default moving t texas and looking at Spring and Woodlands area.

I am very interested in your wife's research. Coming from PA, I am very unfamiliar with the districts and individual schools performances. One child will be going into 8th and is in the gifted program. My other is going into 5th and is mainstreamed but has an IEP (accommodations) in place. Both would be best served in schools that are not enormous. Especially moving into a new state and school--feel lost. I liked your approach to viewing all aspects (and parking lot) of the schools. Could I get some more of your research/suggestions and ultimately what you chose either here or offline? Being in PA I will have limited time/money to make numerous trips down there so if I could streamline my efforts, that would be wonderful. Husband would move first (rent) and then we would follow in about 6 months (I would come down a few times to look and then buy based on schools and then housing ) so my kids probably would complete most of their school year here (Sept.-June). Its a big move especially for kids in the middle to high school years.

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhg566 View Post
When we moved here some years ago, my wife spent six months studying Houston area school data from all the metro ISDs. From that extensive research she identified about a dozen schools that were potentially right for our daughter. At that point we personally visited each and every one of them. We talked to the counselors about courses, schedules and activities. We looked at the cars in the parking lot (because I wasn't about to buy a 16yo daughter some of the car models I saw in some parking lots - and some schools had more of those models than others). We stood in the halls during class changes to see what the girls were wearing (especially shoes and purses), and how they made up their hair. We ruled out well known and highly regarded schools for a variety of reasons because they weren't right for our daughter. And we (my wife) finally had to compromise on a new home because they were too expensive in the area that was zoned to the school she selected.

My point? that before you make your final decision you really, really, really need to visit the school, talk to the staff, see the kids and take in as much of the school experience as you can. You may not wish to do the research my wife did (few people would), but at least spend half a day at the school before you seal the deal.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:05 PM

49 posts, read 127,382 times
As you look at the schools, understand that they do not have to accept your child's gifted status like they do the IEP. Even the IEP they can choose to adopt for a short time while they evaluate and determine how they will staff your child. Since you have so much advance time, try to gain an understanding of their qualification criteria and whether or not your child will meet it. Then try to figure out what that means in terms of access to advanced classes and whether some classes are restricted to those with the GT classification, or if anyone who can get the work done can choose the classes. I never used to think that GT classification made much difference at the high school level, but if it provides or limits access to AP or the classes that lead up to AP classes, it does.

I also suspect that the public schools in TX might vary a bit from what you are accustomed to. You might consider moving them a little earlier, especially before you buy, to make sure that the schools you choose can/will meet your children's needs.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:01 AM

111 posts, read 208,440 times
I agree with the poster that said to visit the school. Merely looking at data online can be very misleading, esp with most districts only caring about the TEA rating based on TAKS test scores. In other words, you can put your child in an "Exemplary" school and the school could be anything but. Just bc the students are exemplary at TAKS test taking does not make everything about the school exemplary.

Also, you want to take into consideration other things depending on your preferences. For example: in Cy Fair, 7th and 8th graders can start taking electives that count toward high school credit. They also offer a good variety of elective options. In Pearland, while it may be a good district, there are not many electives offered (Spanish, Art, Choir, and Band) and none of them count toward high school credit.

Another example: In HISD, there are uniforms with certain colored tops allowed based on the school. In Pearland, there are uniforms, but the tops can be any color polo. In Cy Fair, there are no uniforms.

Some schools may give more homework and projects, while some give more worksheets. IMO that is a sign of whether or not the school actually teaches, or only teaches to the TAKS test.

I don't know whether or not I care much about the car they drive or the purses and shoes they wear, but I def want to see if they are wearing anything resembling gang affiliated clothing. Also, I want to see the kids interacting in the hallways, listen to what they are talking about, are they hugged up in the hallways, are there teachers walking through the halls to monitor what's going on, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston