Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 12:00 PM

809 posts, read 3,569,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
BTW looks like a number of UT researches believe a poll should add up to 101%:
Due to rounding, not all percentages will sum to 100
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 12:07 PM

116 posts, read 280,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Honestly, you would get the same response and beliefs if you gave this poll ANYWHERE in this country. Remember, many people thought Palin and Obama were running mates and free gas was coming. This is just a pop shot at Texas by the "enlightened" ones.
You are right. I take these percentages as probably close to the whole country's percentages.
It is irritating to hear on the news that Texans are stupid, when in reality, they have their own yahoos in their neck of the woods.

I am still surprised to hear that it is so high. Makes me worry for America.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:27 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,446,614 times
Within the major metro areas of Texas, residents are much more progressive. For example, here's a chron.com blog entry from today.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:34 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Within the major metro areas of Texas, residents are much more progressive. For example, here's a chron.com blog entry from today.

As long as "progressives" have tolerance for other's beliefs, I think it's wonderful that Houston can be a secular city. One thing I do see that is very concerning to me is my fellow atheists pulling the "I'm Special" card out and going after religion like a vengence. Either their atheism is a backlash to some sort of past experiences, or there are some deep buried beliefs under the skin. Their passion against religion is curious to me. But then I'm not a "progressive", so maybe I wouldn't understand.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:59 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,446,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
As long as "progressives" have tolerance for other's beliefs, I think it's wonderful that Houston can be a secular city. One thing I do see that is very concerning to me is my fellow atheists pulling the "I'm Special" card out and going after religion like a vengence. Either their atheism is a backlash to some sort of past experiences, or there are some deep buried beliefs under the skin. Their passion against religion is curious to me. But then I'm not a "progressive", so maybe I wouldn't understand.
Reel it back in... My use of the word progressive was in reference to science... not religion. I simply linked to that article to show there is strong support for modern science within the metro Houston area. By progressive I meant those individuals who support modern science... this includes not just secularists but Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, etc.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:00 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,610 times
We are going after religion because there's something called separation of state and church, and some people love to "forget" that and force it upon me. Ain't gonna happen.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:01 PM

659 posts, read 1,376,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2bPinoy View Post
And Texas is backwards because of this?

Maybe not the modern day human, but our ancestor (the one we evolved from) lived the same time as dinosaurs.
Are you really that ignorant?

Old 02-24-2010, 01:03 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightsofar View Post
#1) Uh, I am a native.
#2) How did mom2feebs com to the conclusion I was new to Houston and thought I was calling all Texans stupid? Do you take all things out of context like that?

I never said you were new to Houston. You're a newbie here on the forums, with around 15-16 posts, and the many of them are in this thread.

I didn't take anything out of context. I read between the lines. If you don't like it, well, I don't know what to tell you. That's what it sounded like to me...and apparently to others.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:07 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
We are going after religion because there's something called separation of state and church, and some people love to "forget" that and force it upon me. Ain't gonna happen.

I've lived in Houston all my life and have never had religion FORCED on me. Prayer around me sure. But since I have no feelings towards it, it doesn't affect me. Of course I'm not part of the whole PC/Easily Offended movement either.

Done

Old 02-24-2010, 01:12 PM

499 posts, read 2,157,243 times
Clearly this is propaganda, very cleverly inserted by Ms. Kay Bailey Hutchison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: