Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 07:53 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,567,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisha_amos View Post
I'm a African American female and living in Houston. I would go to ATLANTA...I haven't found any good black men here in Houston....and far as jobs....umm yea whatever!!!
ATLANTA HONEY!!!
Gee I wonder why....Maybe black men have the good sense to stay away from sisters like YOU that have a negative disposition. As a professional black man in Houston. Houston's black culture is underground, meaning you have to dig deep to find it. The job market is here, you just have to be on your A-game in order to land what you're looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazipoet23 View Post
I'm a late 20's film student/bartender. I'm born & raised in Chicago, I lived on the west coast for a few years and then decided Chicago suited me better and returned home. As of late I really feel its time for a change of environment (and a change in the pool, with a larger percentage of "good men"...LOL) I know I certainly need a break from the snow, so it will be somewhere warmer. As a film major Atlanta does appear to becoming a "hollywood south" kinda thing because of Tyler Perry building that studio down there and CNN being there. I have narrowed it down to two options. Atlanta, GA or Houston, TX. I am into spoken word/poetry sets, comedy clubs, jazz clubs, and art galleries. I want to know what the cultured, educated, but not snobby 30ish social scene is like in both cities? I'm trying to figure out which city would be a better choice. I will admit the whole issue with Atlanta having a large amount of brothers on the "down low" is a huge con on my list. Cause that's a relationship problem I don't even wanna deal with! That being said I'm just looking for a city that can start out providing the break from Chicago that I need but that could also turn out to be an adopted city that I may never leave....

HELP ME YA'LL if you're from ATL or Houston let me know what its like down there?
Everything you're looking for is concentrated in Downtown and Midtown/Montrose. As for the jazz/blues clubs, you gotta go in the ghetto to find those. There's a famous jazz/blues club that I'm a regular at and it's called ElDorado Ballroom, it's at the intersection of Elgin and Dowling Sts. in the heart of 3rd Ward. It's across from Emancipation Park. Renovations are on going in that club but once you go, you'll get hooked. There's also some jazz/blues joints in 5th Ward, which is tied with 3rd Ward for being the birthplace of Houston jazz/blues. There might be some more jazz/blues joints in Acres Homes or any predominantly black Houston 'hood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 11:56 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,312,074 times
Not so fast my friend thats not true. Me myself and few others brothers in Houston are handling our business sistas not complaining. Go to ATL you'll be back in Texas looking.
Quote:
I haven't found any good black men here in Houston....and far as jobs....umm yea whatever!!!

ATLANTA HONEY!!!

Old 04-07-2010, 02:27 PM

245 posts, read 545,381 times
I know you cant judge a city by a handful of people but I work in a hotel in Phoenix and will visit Houston soon, anyways long story short we got a large group 1000-1200 people for a convention and coincidentally one group from ATL and one from Houston, the people from Atlanta were so much ruder it was unreal, and Houston has some very friendly people, I may sound biased but that alone when 900 out of 1000 or so people were driving the hotel crazy then Im not sure what that says about their city. I guess what I am trying to say maybe you will find friendlier and tolerable guys in Houston

Old 04-09-2010, 07:37 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,250,569 times
Quote:
I'm a African American female and living in Houston. I would go to ATLANTA...I haven't found any good black men here in Houston....and far as jobs....umm yea whatever!!!

ATLANTA HONEY!!!

As a black man in Atlanta, one of the biggest complaints I hear from Black Women in Atlanta is not being able to find a man, so it's not as if you're going somewhere better. Keep in mind that women outnumber men in many parts of the metro area, and there is a large gay population. While I think the media reports about "Downlow" men in Atlanta are blown out of proportion, there are a lot of gay black men here, and that can reduce the dating pool too.

I've heard good things about Houston's AA community, so I say stay in Houston and find your niche. While I like Atlanta, some aspects of life here can be quite overrated, including our vaunted status of being a so-called "black mecca".

I've always been a big believer in like attracts like, and I hope you're not one of those bitter women that hang out with other bitter women and be bitter together. That goes a long way towards perception of what's going on around you.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:13 PM

97 posts, read 260,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
For those of you still answering this old racist post, the OP posted the same exact post in Houston and Atlanta (her only 2 posts). For the record, Houstonians were kind enough to have 2 full pages of answers for this OP who never even read the responses while in Atlanta only one person cared to answer her.

What does this conclude? Are we more kinder then Atlanta or less racist?

Sorry but if we are all going to be equal human beings on this earth then I do not believe in answering questions like this.
Save it. Why wouldn't she go over to the Atlanta forum and ask the same question? She's deciding between the 2.

If you don't believe in answering these types of questions then don't. The rest of us are adults and will decide for ourselves what we will and won't reply to. Geesh.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:52 AM

2 posts, read 19,172 times
Houston has a lot to offer you, with your interests and hobbies you've stated.
I am an 20ish African American lady, but I want to let you know that there is no such thing as a strictly African American spot in Houston (might find a few where we are the majority but not the only attendees), since it's a melting pot we have a lot of diversity, but many places cater to the crowd you're requesting, but it's generally mixed but still fun and enjoyable!

Since you're a film student and into arts & culture, Houston should be at the top of your list above the congested city of Atlanta!
Houston has the following:
Our Theatre District which is ranked 2nd only to New York City, and is one of only 5 cities with permament professional resident companies in all of the major performing arts disciplines such as: opera, ballet, music and theater. We have the Alley Theatre, Ensemble Theatre, Jesse H. Jones Hall for the Performing Arts, Houston Grand Opera Symphony and the Houston Ballet to name a few.

Our Museum District has over 16 differnt museums, most within walking distance of each other. Some incl. Museum of Fine Arts, Contemporary ARts Museum of Houston, Musuem of Cultural Arts, and Children's Museum of Houston.

With you being from Chicago, I'm sure you love to shop and look good in fashion, we have the Galleria which is one of the largest shopping complexes in the country as well as Houston Premier Outlets in Cypress, TX, Katy Mills Mall (outlets) in Katy, TX; Conroe Outlet Center and numerous shopping centers, shopping malls (best ones are Willowbrook Mall, The Woodlands Mall, First Colony Mall and Memorial City Mall) flea markets, strips etc.

You mentioned spoken word/poetry spots, comedy clubs, jazz clubs and social scenes for 30+up, you should try the following:
On Sundays there's 2 places you can go to hear spoken word/poetry they are The Shadow Bar & Toykohana Bar & Grill (Northside location) make sure to get to both places by 6pm to get a seat or be prepared to stand!

The Improv and Arena Theaters usually hosts all the comedy events when comedians come to town.

Jazz spots try these (mostly 25+up crowds):
Scott Gertner's Sky Bar on Wednesdays and Saturdays, Red Cat Jazz Cafe 7days a week, Sambuca Restaurant, Truluck's , and The Horn.

We have the International Film Festival, Houston Comedy Festival, Crawfish FEstival & International Festival annually in April. Bayou aRts Festival in March
During the summer the International Jazz Festival, Houston Caribfest, Carnival, Houston Brazilian Festival etc.
Houston is a very diverse and lovely city to live, work and play in, if you can get past the humidity , rain, and the fact that we have no zoning laws , it's a great place to be!
Good luck with your decision and I hope this helps you!

Last edited by MochaButter; 04-15-2010 at 03:54 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 04-15-2010, 06:14 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times
Great post! I'm African American, and I Houston is a place that I will consider moving to in the future. From looking at indmix.com, Houston's Black night scene rivals Atlanta's. Not sure about the film industry though. IMO, I think Houston will be the nation's diamond in ruff for many Blacks since Atlanta is getting a little tired! Trust me, I know! So, I think you will do find in Houston.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:52 AM

3 posts, read 22,578 times
First of all...thank you for all the people who took time to thoroughly read my post and give me some valuable advice regarding this decision...Thank you for taking to the time to realize that it was NOT intended to be racist...I just wanted a certain perspective. I've seen posts throughout this forum asking similar questions about other major US cities...all I wanted to know is what the african-american social scene was like in houston and atlanta. Never did I say anything derogatory about any other race so how we got on this "this post is so racist" mess is beyond me...IT WAS AN INNOCENT QUESTION NOT INTENDED TO BE RACIST....GEEZ, LIGHTEN UP PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-12-2010, 10:46 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,738,703 times
If I were you Id look at Austin or New Orleans if you are looking for work in the film industry at the moment since Houston does not have any film studios as far as I know of.

Otherwise Id go with Atlanta given career oportunities.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:27 AM

848 posts, read 2,127,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MochaButter View Post
Houston has a lot to offer you, with your interests and hobbies you've stated.
I am an 20ish African American lady, but I want to let you know that there is no such thing as a strictly African American spot in Houston (might find a few where we are the majority but not the only attendees), since it's a melting pot we have a lot of diversity, but many places cater to the crowd you're requesting, but it's generally mixed but still fun and enjoyable!

Since you're a film student and into arts & culture, Houston should be at the top of your list above the congested city of Atlanta!
Houston has the following:
Our Theatre District which is ranked 2nd only to New York City, and is one of only 5 cities with permament professional resident companies in all of the major performing arts disciplines such as: opera, ballet, music and theater. We have the Alley Theatre, Ensemble Theatre, Jesse H. Jones Hall for the Performing Arts, Houston Grand Opera Symphony and the Houston Ballet to name a few.

Our Museum District has over 16 differnt museums, most within walking distance of each other. Some incl. Museum of Fine Arts, Contemporary ARts Museum of Houston, Musuem of Cultural Arts, and Children's Museum of Houston.

With you being from Chicago, I'm sure you love to shop and look good in fashion, we have the Galleria which is one of the largest shopping complexes in the country as well as Houston Premier Outlets in Cypress, TX, Katy Mills Mall (outlets) in Katy, TX; Conroe Outlet Center and numerous shopping centers, shopping malls (best ones are Willowbrook Mall, The Woodlands Mall, First Colony Mall and Memorial City Mall) flea markets, strips etc.

You mentioned spoken word/poetry spots, comedy clubs, jazz clubs and social scenes for 30+up, you should try the following:
On Sundays there's 2 places you can go to hear spoken word/poetry they are The Shadow Bar & Toykohana Bar & Grill (Northside location) make sure to get to both places by 6pm to get a seat or be prepared to stand!

The Improv and Arena Theaters usually hosts all the comedy events when comedians come to town.

Jazz spots try these (mostly 25+up crowds):
Scott Gertner's Sky Bar on Wednesdays and Saturdays, Red Cat Jazz Cafe 7days a week, Sambuca Restaurant, Truluck's , and The Horn.

We have the International Film Festival, Houston Comedy Festival, Crawfish FEstival & International Festival annually in April. Bayou aRts Festival in March
During the summer the International Jazz Festival, Houston Caribfest, Carnival, Houston Brazilian Festival etc.
Houston is a very diverse and lovely city to live, work and play in, if you can get past the humidity , rain, and the fact that we have no zoning laws , it's a great place to be!
Good luck with your decision and I hope this helps you!
Great post. The diversity and connection here in Houston are superior to the ATL. I'm of Filipino descent but I much prefer the open diversity of Houston than just an overflow of Filipino pop-culture. I like being able to eat Pakistani halal style (which is hard if not impossible to find in San Diego) as well as having a Filipino cafe. Houston still has a decent collection of Filipino cafes for a city not in SoCal.

San Diego has better Filipino cafes but Houston's greater overall diversity is more important to me. Houston still has better African American-oriented pop culture compared to most other US cities, who cares if ATL is a bit better in that regard? "Hotlanta" surely doesn't have the full load of multi-ethnicity that H-town boasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston