Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your stance on recycling?
I recycle! 41 73.21%
Never have, never will! 2 3.57%
I don't recycle, but I've thought about it... 2 3.57%
I don't recycle, but I would if I had a bin. 7 12.50%
I used to recycle, but my dog (or neighbor) ate my bin! 1 1.79%
Recycling is a sin. 1 1.79%
I don't care. 2 3.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 07:51 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,467 times

Advertisements

I'm excited...we just received a letter from COH stating that we will receive our new 96-gallon recycle containers (can't call 'em bins anymore!) in a couple of weeks. We currently use 3 bins and they are overflowing after a couple of weeks. And now we can recycle glass! And get paid for it (google Recycle Bank for details). Hopefully this will encourage my other neigbhbors to step up their game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 06:29 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
My room mate wants to recycle everything I would have tossed out with the trash. Problem is, EVERYTHING (except for the newspaper) has to be cleaned out first, and then everything takes up storage space until SHE makes a run to the recycling center. After all, she's not going to go for a week's worth of newspapers, or soda cans. Not worth her while, apparently...so they sit in the living room until it's time for them to go. Like I said, I'd rather toss them away, but she's adamant about it.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:36 AM

848 posts, read 2,126,949 times
At Ben Taub, where I work, when I get McDonald's coffee downstairs I actually take the cup home and use it for homemade brew whenever I use the bus. I use it for a week. It's sturdy enough and cleans easily. Then I dispose of it. But I should recycle it.

There was once a recycle bin behind HEB on Kirkwood/Westheimer...had some stuff to recycle and then it was gone.

But I do have a mind to recycle if I can.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:56 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
My room mate wants to recycle everything I would have tossed out with the trash. Problem is, EVERYTHING (except for the newspaper) has to be cleaned out first, and then everything takes up storage space until SHE makes a run to the recycling center. After all, she's not going to go for a week's worth of newspapers, or soda cans. Not worth her while, apparently...so they sit in the living room until it's time for them to go. Like I said, I'd rather toss them away, but she's adamant about it.
Seriously, your attitude is so lazy, yet so typical. It isn't like someone is asking you to make your own shoes, for pete's sake. All you have to do is rinse out your plastic and put it in the recycle bin. Then each week put it out at the curb or take it to the recycle center on your way to pilates. How *&^%$ hard is that?

Old 03-19-2010, 10:30 AM

1,474 posts, read 4,995,601 times
I think it conserves more if you pee in the plastic bottle instead of the toilet bowl. and noone profits from it
Alief recycles of course. although the green truck doesn't really pickup in our gated neighborhood

Old 03-19-2010, 01:54 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,401,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
My neighborhood recycles. BUT....the bins are overflowing all the time and when we have a windy day, then paper is blowing all down the street. Unlike the backdoor trash pickup we have twice a week, we have to put the recycle bins down at the curb, where the wind gusts more. Because of the TRASH, our neighborhood is considering ending recycling.

So, we recycle and LITTER to. They need Those Large Green bins the size of the city trash cans.

One thing I have to say about San Antonio is they are ON THE BALL when it comes to recycling. They'll take anything recyclable in the bins, no sorting, no fuss. The bins they give you are huge and lidded, the same kind as the trash cans, and the automated trucks come by each week and pick them up. We also have two smaller bins, one for the garage (the size of a box) and one for inside (like a small wastebasket). We are now so conscious of what goes in our trash because of the ease of recycling. I can't get over what we were throwing away prior to having recycling so readily available (and usable!).

I hope Houston starts doing it city-wide soon!

Old 03-20-2010, 04:05 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
Seriously, your attitude is so lazy, yet so typical. It isn't like someone is asking you to make your own shoes, for pete's sake. All you have to do is rinse out your plastic and put it in the recycle bin. Then each week put it out at the curb or take it to the recycle center on your way to pilates. How *&^%$ hard is that?
It takes up room that it doesn't need to--until there's enough there for HER to take it to recycling, since she's the one who wants to do it. I'm happy just to take it all to the dumpster.

It's not just plastic. It's newspapers, and metal cans, and aluminum, and glass...

And I don't go to a gym--I work for a living.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:41 PM

56 posts, read 158,191 times
We have 3 boxes in the garage. Once a month I head to the Westpark Consumer Recycling Center.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:29 PM

687 posts, read 2,127,879 times
Also as important as recycling is re-using, and simply using less. It's sort of a game to me, to put out less trash than my neighbors on trash days. Instead of buying big plastic gallon jugs of OJ, I get the concentrated cans -- less trash, and they're made of paper. Best option is to just eat, or juice the fresh orange. Then you can compost the skin.

We were absolutely impressed with how much recycling the Japanese does. They have to, since they live on a little island, and there's really no room for gigantic dumps. You are charged a hefty disposal fee if you want to dump big items, i.e. a sofa. So everyone keeps their furniture a long time, and find creative ways to freshen up the look of their homes. I like that!

Old 03-20-2010, 11:11 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karuna95 View Post
Also as important as recycling is re-using, and simply using less. It's sort of a game to me, to put out less trash than my neighbors on trash days. Instead of buying big plastic gallon jugs of OJ, I get the concentrated cans -- less trash, and they're made of paper. Best option is to just eat, or juice the fresh orange. Then you can compost the skin.

We were absolutely impressed with how much recycling the Japanese does. They have to, since they live on a little island, and there's really no room for gigantic dumps. You are charged a hefty disposal fee if you want to dump big items, i.e. a sofa. So everyone keeps their furniture a long time, and find creative ways to freshen up the look of their homes. I like that!

Germans recycle everything. Literally! That very little they toss into trash bin is pretty much not recyclable. I used to live there and acquired the habit. I recycle everything what is collected as recyclable, but I know that we could do more in that matter. I too use fruit/veggies rests for compost.

You get a limit of 5 gal of trash a month/ per person - so you better recycle everything else. Overfilled trash bins will be not emptied.

Last edited by elnina; 03-20-2010 at 11:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston