Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 12:22 PM

439 posts, read 1,242,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
I can't speak for the other C-D people. But, one needs a job and can't afford to live in their original state than they should move to Houston.

I think the job market is what keep Houston growing so fast. And in my opinion, that is the ONLY reason why Houston is growing. You never hear of people saying that they moved to Houston for the nightlife, or the scenery, or the city itself. They just here for a job and a paycheck.
A job and a paycheck is pretty important to having a high quality of life. Houston offers that. No we don't have mountains and white sandy beaches. That's not what Houston offers and I think most people who move here understand that. And Houston's nightlife isn't terrible. But nightlife in any city will get old if you go out all the time, even in Miami.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:30 PM

81 posts, read 230,582 times
Other than thousands of options and thousands of people going out each night (Houston has both), what makes a great "night-life"?

Do people complain about Houston's night life because there isn't one centralized location for it? To me, that would be boring. Why would someone want to go to the same area every weekend? Have you ever noticed how the people on 6th street or on Bourbon street all appear to be from out of town? Most locals don't go to those places because they are not authentic and are more trouble than they're worth.

Houston's night life is great because we can go to a new place in a new part of town every weekend.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:28 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,565,019 times
Quote:
I can't speak for the other C-D people. But, one needs a job and can't afford to live in their original state than they should move to Houston.

I think the job market is what keep Houston growing so fast. And in my opinion, that is the ONLY reason why Houston is growing. You never hear of people saying that they moved to Houston for the nightlife, or the scenery, or the city itself. They just here for a job and a paycheck.
I would have to say this is a good thing. All those cities (San Diego, Miami, L.A.) where people move to for scenery or night life are really struggling themselves or they are in states that are struggling. I used to live in Wicker Park in Chicago (probably have mentioned this before) for many years. Many would consider this neighborhood THE GOLDEN STANDARD for recent college grads. Guess what happened? I got bored of the Double Door, Penny's Noodle Shop, the park filled with bums and the stupid crap such as prostitutes servicing guys in our alley. If I were that age again, I really don't see how a neighborhood such as Montrose would be much different. Everything is walking distance, both neighborhoods are safe for the street smart, there are great places to eat and hang out etc. And they are both oriented towards young adults.

What happens is very simple. People grow up. Coconut Grove, Piedmont, Wicker Park, Flatbush these neighborhoods aren't really ideal for raising families. My suggestion to you, E.E. is to get onto Craigslist, find a cool place in a trendy neighborhood and see what you think. Was living in Wicker Park pretty awesome? Yes it was. It seems to me you are very unhappy here. If I were your age and lived in Sugar Land, I'd be downright miserable.

In the end, good jobs and a paycheck will draw in many people. Furthermore, these people will continue to improve the city. Trendy neighborhoods come and go, but they all have one common denominator. Eventually, their residents tend to leave.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:33 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfizzy View Post
Other than thousands of options and thousands of people going out each night (Houston has both), what makes a great "night-life"?

Do people complain about Houston's night life because there isn't one centralized location for it? To me, that would be boring. Why would someone want to go to the same area every weekend? Have you ever noticed how the people on 6th street or on Bourbon street all appear to be from out of town? Most locals don't go to those places because they are not authentic and are more trouble than they're worth.

Houston's night life is great because we can go to a new place in a new part of town every weekend.
This post is so dead on. (Wish I could rep you, but it seems I already have...)

Yes. Most people complain because things in Houston are kinda of strewn all across town. It's a valid complaint, IMO. While this works for very compact cities with good transportation, it is not very convenient for sprawly cities with limited transportation and contributes to the lack of vibrance.

At the same time I agree it can get boring either way. For the record, I am soooo over South End, Boston. In any case, it depends on how much you limit your options. If you make requirements for yourself like, "Oh, I'm only going to go to bars and clubs that play techno all the time," you're probably going to get bored in Houston (and perhaps other cities) very fast. Keeping your options open to at least trying new things will keep a city fresh for as long as possible. As for tourist destinations, my friends in Las Vegas are long over the Strip and my friend in SF likes the Fisherman's Wharf, but he's been there and done it already.

Also very true. Most locals don't go where tourists go and I think most residents of tourist trap towns would probably admit that they tend to avoid areas overrun by tourists.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 03-16-2010 at 01:43 PM..

Old 03-16-2010, 02:03 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Quote:
You forgot the 4th type of people, the ones that get tired of Houston. I fall into this category, at first I was happy to drive down new avenues and see what else Houston had. I took the road less traveled by.. and it did make a difference. But now, I have basically seen and done everything there is to do for a person my age. There is only a few choices in Houston, either go out to a run down club that is basically like any other club in Houston(all of them are the same) or eat out(which gets old FAST). If there are any other suggestions please let me know.
Besides, your a Realtor, of course your going to say Houston is great.
Nope, Houston has its problems - never said it didn't. What I REALLY like about Houston is the can-do attitide of the people. Some people fix things - others just whine. Is there anyplace that you wouldn't get tired of, after awhile? If so, what do you do? Move? Complain? Or look for something outside of the box?

Old 03-16-2010, 02:20 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfizzy View Post

This is a good post. Never thought of it that way. Houston could learn from DC. DC does not have a single central area for night life as well. They have many multiple districts from Adam's Morgan, to U Street, to Gallery Place, to up and coming H Street and Waterfront, to some places in downtown. They have them for all ages if you're above 18. In Houston, you have Midtown, to Washington Avenue, to Montrose, to Main Street in Downtown, and I'm sure there are several in the Galleria area.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:36 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Quote:
You forgot the 4th type of people, the ones that get tired of Houston. I fall into this category, at first I was happy to drive down new avenues and see what else Houston had. I took the road less traveled by.. and it did make a difference. But now, I have basically seen and done everything there is to do for a person my age. There is only a few choices in Houston, either go out to a run down club that is basically like any other club in Houston(all of them are the same) or eat out(which gets old FAST). If there are any other suggestions please let me know.
Besides, your a Realtor, of course your going to say Houston is great.
Look kid, you're trying to act like you've done everything and seen everything when you're not even legal to get into a real bar. Don't care if you drink or not. Once you reach that age, come back and tell me you've seen and done it all. You complain about having to drive long distances and how there isn't anywhere to go, well, not all of us are 19-some odd years old and drive in from Sugar Land. Grow up and move out of your parents' house, find your nuts and see the world, son. You've got a nice chunk of it right here in the city.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:31 PM

734 posts, read 1,080,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Look kid, you're trying to act like you've done everything and seen everything when you're not even legal to get into a real bar. Don't care if you drink or not. Once you reach that age, come back and tell me you've seen and done it all. You complain about having to drive long distances and how there isn't anywhere to go, well, not all of us are 19-some odd years old and drive in from Sugar Land. Grow up and move out of your parents' house, find your nuts and see the world, son. You've got a nice chunk of it right here in the city.
Correction: I am 21 cuz.

And what constitutes as a "real" bar. I am curious what are the "fake" bars?

I am not the only one who thinks there is nothing to do in Houston, Heck there is a grad student(teaching this one weight lifting class that I have at UH)
"what is there to do here, do people not go out?".This guy has been living in West U. for 3 years now... oh, wait let me guess y'alls rebuttle would be that he isn't "informed" and "needs to get out more" also.

So, for people on here to think that I am the one crazy misinformed mofo in Houston that doesn't know what to do is flat false. I find myself chilling with people trying to figure out what in the world we doing next, you just go blank, we frequent a Hookah bar... which you can only do a few times till that gets old.

So, jfre81 I'm 21 and I have reached that "age" and now I'm telling you I've seen and done all the things that interest me.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:41 PM

734 posts, read 1,080,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I would have to say this is a good thing. All those cities (San Diego, Miami, L.A.) where people move to for scenery or night life are really struggling themselves or they are in states that are struggling. I used to live in Wicker Park in Chicago (probably have mentioned this before) for many years. Many would consider this neighborhood THE GOLDEN STANDARD for recent college grads. Guess what happened? I got bored of the Double Door, Penny's Noodle Shop, the park filled with bums and the stupid crap such as prostitutes servicing guys in our alley. If I were that age again, I really don't see how a neighborhood such as Montrose would be much different. Everything is walking distance, both neighborhoods are safe for the street smart, there are great places to eat and hang out etc. And they are both oriented towards young adults.

What happens is very simple. People grow up. Coconut Grove, Piedmont, Wicker Park, Flatbush these neighborhoods aren't really ideal for raising families. My suggestion to you, E.E. is to get onto Craigslist, find a cool place in a trendy neighborhood and see what you think. Was living in Wicker Park pretty awesome? Yes it was. It seems to me you are very unhappy here. If I were your age and lived in Sugar Land, I'd be downright miserable.

In the end, good jobs and a paycheck will draw in many people. Furthermore, these people will continue to improve the city. Trendy neighborhoods come and go, but they all have one common denominator. Eventually, their residents tend to leave.
Well, maybe I am comparing Houston to a much higher standard than I should.

I visited Chicago and I must tell you, there are some intriguing things about that city that Houston doesn't come close to. I remember going clubbing one night and DOWNTOWN WAS PACKED, I am telling you IT WAS GRIDLOCKED we got lucky and found parking. Then we just walked from this club called SoundBar to the river and into a restaurant that was converted to a club called Flatwater. The whole night was amazing, the VIEWS were downright GORGEOUS, I was in awe.

But I understand that things can get boring in any city, but from what I saw in Chicago, people were still jamming up the streets on a Saturday night, music was coming from every car, things were still alive. So if things do get old everywhere, maybe all of Chicago hasn't gotten tired of it quite yet

PS: If Chicago was as lucrative to Engineers as the O/G business is here in Houston I would have moved a long time ago.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:44 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,363 times
Quote:
Correction: I am 21 cuz.

And what constitutes as a "real" bar. I am curious what are the "fake" bars?

I am not the only one who thinks there is nothing to do in Houston, Heck there is a grad student(teaching this one weight lifting class that I have at UH)
"what is there to do here, do people not go out?".This guy has been living in West U. for 3 years now... oh, wait let me guess y'alls rebuttle would be that he isn't "informed" and "needs to get out more" also.

So, for people on here to think that I am the one crazy misinformed mofo in Houston that doesn't know what to do is flat false. I find myself chilling with people trying to figure out what in the world we doing next, you just go blank, we frequent a Hookah bar... which you can only do a few times till that gets old.

So, jfre81 I'm 21 and I have reached that "age" and now I'm telling you I've seen and done all the things that interest me.
WEST U!?!? Do you know how silly you sound? You sound way less than misinformed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston