Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 07:49 PM

784 posts, read 3,120,164 times

Advertisements

In a lot of the HAR.com listings the front door faces north or south. There seems to be far fewer than face east or west. There could be many reasons for this: people who live in east or west facing homes are not selling right now, or maybe there are more north and south facing homes in Houston.

Actually the second reason seems to be true for some neighborhoods. Robindell has a lot of streets that run east west and very few that run north south. Is this deliberate planning to avoid rising and setting sun pouring into your home?

In Chinese feng shui, which I don't believe in by the way, the best direction for my front door to face is west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 08:08 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,192,790 times
It seems like it's about 60% n/s - but maybe that's my perception. It does vary by neighborhood and where it lies in relationship to the major roads. West usually means a higher electric bill in the summer. The doors facing west are often sun-beaten, compared to others in a subdivision. Also matters how much overhang is over door and how many window face west. I have seen houses face west with a deep overhang that shelters the door - and very few windows west - and they will be fine.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:53 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,995,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleF View Post
In Chinese feng shui, which I don't believe in by the way, the best direction for my front door to face is west.
facing east. front door must get direct morning sunlight.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:41 AM

322 posts, read 709,996 times
Having lived many years in Las Vegas, homes with east face were avoided entirely; the cost to cool a house was too high. North or south facing was the key for desert houses. I moved into ONLY a south facing house, and watched as easterners came out to Vegas buying up those 'cheaper' east facing houses.... Living in UK, east facing is desireable in order to heat up the house! So depends on the climate of course. North side of my house in NE Scotland is cold, damp and truly a negative energy. (And hard to heat those north facing room!!!)

I think feng shui determines energies inside as well, like which way you have your bed. In all effects, what I understand with FS is that your front door must face positive energy (be it east, west, north or south) - children's parks, sidewalks, a river, a view... so its an internal energy. JMHO.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:58 AM

460 posts, read 2,426,942 times
If you want a usable backyard in Houston (or any Southern city with lots of sun), the house should not face East. North or South are OK IF there is adequate shade from the West side. West is obviously best for providing backyard shade.

As far as electric bills being higher if the house faces West, that's a definite maybe. Many factors affect the electric bill, primarily insulaton and air leakage. Whatever side of the house that faces West is certainly going to get the hot afternoon sun. Just sold an older house that faced North and the West side (kitchen, breakfast, formal dining), was certainly warmer during the afternoon. Had to adjust the vents accordingly, and we used solar screen on those windows. If your front door faces West, just plan on refinishing it a bit more often than you would otherwise.

Net net, on the new home we just bought, facing West was a required, not optional, feature. I can always add screens or other devices to the West windows, and I can easily refinish the door. Much, much harder to reclaim your backyard.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:03 AM

967 posts, read 2,609,287 times
You know for me... when I'm house hunting and make my list of needs and wants... I might prefer a house that doesn't face West. But it's such a small factor. Not living on a main street is waay more important to me than which side I face.

My house had what I needed at the right price. It faces west. So be it. I think I'd be silly to pass by the perfect home for me because it faces west.

Conversly, as a mom of Girl Scouts, I have knocked on a TON of doors this cookie season. Doors that are way more weathered than mine... and yet they face North, South, East.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:45 AM

784 posts, read 3,120,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
facing east. front door must get direct morning sunlight.
In some forms of Chinese Feng Shui it depends on your kua number. Mine's an 8, which means my ideal home faces west. It was when I discovered that according to Indian Vaastu Shastra, west is bad and east is good that I decided they couldn't both be right and stopped paying attention to it.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:16 AM

25 posts, read 99,548 times
In fact, in Chinese history, all emperors sit facing south and with back towards North. If you ask any Chinese, most will prefer South/North oritentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleF View Post
In a lot of the HAR.com listings the front door faces north or south. There seems to be far fewer than face east or west. There could be many reasons for this: people who live in east or west facing homes are not selling right now, or maybe there are more north and south facing homes in Houston.

Actually the second reason seems to be true for some neighborhoods. Robindell has a lot of streets that run east west and very few that run north south. Is this deliberate planning to avoid rising and setting sun pouring into your home?

Old 03-17-2010, 10:27 AM

201 posts, read 914,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhg566 View Post
If you want a usable backyard in Houston (or any Southern city with lots of sun), the house should not face East. North or South are OK IF there is adequate shade from the West side. West is obviously best for providing backyard shade.

...... on the new home we just bought, facing West was a required, not optional, feature. I can always add screens or other devices to the West windows, and I can easily refinish the door. Much, much harder to reclaim your backyard.
Same here. We moved into a new house recently, and we specifically wanted a west facing house so that we can have shade in the back yard. Plus, most houses we looked at have the master bedroom and family rooms in the back of the house. With an east facing house, these rooms get a lot hotter than the rest of the house in the afternoon.

Our prior house also faced west, and the door did get pretty beat up looking after around 5+ years. We had it refinished for a few hundred dollars and it looked good as new.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:10 PM

25 posts, read 112,865 times
Fengshui never tells you which direction is the best in general.

It all depends on who you are. No general rule of thumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: