U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-22-2010, 12:01 AM
Status: "Character is what you do when no one is looking..." (set 24 days ago)

20,126 posts, read 19,855,771 times
richzre:
I really think that you need to read the links in my post #52. I understand your arguments, but you need to realize that: "HOA is a government outside the U.S. government." Go and fight them! Is like go and fight the IRS. HOA is very powerful organization.
There is only one option: you agree with them or you move out of their property. When you signed the HOA bill, you agreed to comply with their regulations. Now, their regulation say pay $2100 fine. You have to pay it. There is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Dwelling on it, asking other for advice (we already did it), and delaying instead of paying it promptly will just accumulate more fees. I would not wonder if next week your fine goes up.
Many people who belong to homeowners associations do not understand just how much power these groups have over them -- until they miss a payment or otherwise run afoul of the board. Fall a single day behind in paying your monthly dues, for instance, and the association may slap you with a fine. Fall 90 days behind and it may place a lien on your home and threaten to foreclose unless you pay up immediately.And because you often hand over the right of property trustee to the association when you agree to the by-laws, in some cases you don't even get to go to court.
You also need to be aware if you don't get this straightened out, depending on the state law and your ccrs/bylaws, they might turn your fine into a "special assessment" at assessment time, on top of your standard assessment. State law allows them to FORECLOSE --take your house--for unpaid assessments.
Monthly meetings are open to all homeowners. At least in theory. When you come to a board meeting, you can sit, you can observe, but you cannot speak because the board is there to exercise its business judgment. And that's in compliance with national and state community-association laws.

Also check those links: http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlanta/429799-how-fight-homeowners-association.html
http://ahrc.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?Cat=&C=1

Old 03-22-2010, 07:47 AM

1,093 posts, read 1,543,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richzre View Post
Over $22, what's wrong with that picture. Take someone's home over $22. It seems that a lot of people have just accepted that the HOA's are untouchables, don't mess with them, give in to their demands and don't ever question a damn thing because they are the ultimate authority.

After doing some research over the week, these are my initial conclusions about HOA's in general

1. I think when HOA's first came in to prominent existense in the U.S., it was for a very good reason. Noboby wants declining property values and HOA's were there to ensure everyone conformed to a standard set by the bylaws of the community. No one want a trashy neighborhood.

2. Over the decades, HOA's have morphed in to something that wasn't the original intent. Because of human nature, power hungry people naturally wanted to rule their neighborhoods with an iron first enforcing even a smallest violation with huge fines and threatning legal action.

3. Our good freinds, the lawyer's, caught on and figured they could make good money because the law favors the HOA's because if you don't cooperate, they use the foreclosure power to hold your property over you head while extorting money by charging outrageous legal fees.

Because of the threat of foreclosure, we as citizens have given power to HOA's to take someone homested away for the the smallest of fines.

It's almost like communism. Everyone prospers, were all equal and no one starves. In theroy, that's all good but we all know it doesn't work long term. Why, because of human nature.

The biggest problem in my opionion is the lawyers. They buddy up with the HOA's because they know that by (teaming up with HOA's) they have a license to charge and do whatever they want because of the threat of foreclosure. The HOA's are fine with that because that's their strong arm to enforce whatever rules they want. The lawyers could give a rats ass about taking a woman's home over $22 because these law firms are greedy bastads that would sue their own mothers. It strictly about money.

I think it will only get worse in the future. When there is money to be made, the lawyers will always find a way to get it. Meanwhile, the HOA's original intent will fail because an uprising amongst citizen will eventually oraganize and unite and change the state laws. Well.... maybe not because most of us are gutless bastards.

So folks, keep drinking the HOA's koolaid. Good idea gone bad in my opionion.
Puuuh-leeeeze. Nobody here is "drinking the HOA koolaid." We're just saying that since you signed on with this organization and their requirements, looks like you gotta pay the piper. You can keep wasting your time ranting about the HOA, but everyone here is just telling you that ranting about it isn't going to stop them from taking your home. So pay up, shut up, and move to a home with no HOA.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:01 AM

1,464 posts, read 2,232,734 times
Pay your fees.
Sell.
Look for a place with no HOA.

I personally would never buy in an HOA neighborhood for horror stories like this.
If deeds and town laws and the good will of the neighbors aren't enough to keep the neighborhood pristine, look for another neighborhood.
They are out there, I found one.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:31 AM

20 posts, read 30,612 times
I will pay the $2100 because all of you are right. There is nothing else I can do. You can't fight them. Lesson learned. I still think we need serious reform. In 2005, Jeff Wentworth filed a bill to prohibit HOAs from foreclosing on homes in cases where the owner owes only fines and attorney fees. The Texas Senate passed the bill, but it died in the House of Representatives. Since, many other bills have been introduced about this same issue but ultimately died. I also read that there are 9 full time lobbyists for the HOA's in Austin that make sure the foreclosure power remains intact.

So I pay my $2100 fee and move on. Who will gain and profit from all of this? The lawyer representing the HOA will. Pretty sad.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:04 AM

3,504 posts, read 6,842,025 times
If you think HOAs are bad try not paying your taxes for a couple years and see how friendly the IRS can be.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:12 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,737,422 times
I wish my HOA fees were only $185.
How did you think you were going to get out of paying the fees?
If you had financial difficulties, you should have called the HOA then and worked out a payment plan instead of sticking your head in the ground and racking up late/penalty fees.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:08 AM

20 posts, read 30,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post
I wish my HOA fees were only $185.
How did you think you were going to get out of paying the fees?
If you had financial difficulties, you should have called the HOA then and worked out a payment plan instead of sticking your head in the ground and racking up late/penalty fees.
I've never said I was trying to get out of paying my dues. It was the insane amount of late/legal fees I was debating.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:27 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,737,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richzre View Post
I've never said I was trying to get out of paying my dues. It was the insane amount of late/legal fees I was debating.
There's not anything to really debate.
That's what happens when you don't pay your dues.
They rack up penalty fees b/c its transferred to an attorney.
Your penalty fees are going to that attorney now.
It happens with all kinds of bills (medical, utilities, phone, etc)
All you can do is pay up and next time pay on time or call and work something out if you can't.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:42 AM

1,637 posts, read 945,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
Pay your fees.
Sell.
Look for a place with no HOA.

I personally would never buy in an HOA neighborhood for horror stories like this.
If deeds and town laws and the good will of the neighbors aren't enough to keep the neighborhood pristine, look for another neighborhood.
They are out there, I found one.

Same here, I just sold my HOA controlled home, now I'm FREE!!!!! Man does it feel good. I grew up in a non HOA neighborhood, then bought my first house in a HOA 'hood. Three years later I got the heck out, just what I don't need, one more entity telling me what to do and what I can't do, no thanks.

I'm putting in a driveway along side my garage next week to keep my camper parked, I would have been denied this at my hold HOA controlled house, but not here! Imagine that, it's my property and I get to do what I want with it.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:43 AM

983 posts, read 2,882,901 times
OP I only got up to page five of this thread but gonna comment now anyway.
One, did you get a breakdown from the attorney? I am sure it's not all late fees but the attorney's hourly rate included in there and that is the bulk of the bill.
Two, maybe you can ask to meet with the attorney and see if he/she will settle for the HOA dues, late fees and his/her hourly charges reduced to half. But don't go in there and make demands with a set amount. Kindness and humbleness goes along way.

It seems like you are assuming the majority of it is late fees. But like someone else said when attorneys get involved you can forget it. Forget about getting someone to fight for you and just go in tell them what you have been dealing with.
And in the end if they will not budge then at least you tried. Set up a payment plan and called it a very expensive lesson learned!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston