U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 05:47 AM

162 posts, read 311,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.roper View Post
I think to qualify for "Obama Care" you have to be on welfare, homosexual, be fat, have aids, and be a bunny/tree hugging hippie.
I can only hope / assume that this is a joke. Anyway, here is a little information which might be of interest -

At the moment, a child with, say, asthma, can be refused insurance - with the new bill, this kind of refusal will not be allowed. This alone, to me, would make the bill a step in the right direction.

At the moment, anyone can be taken off a policy if the insurance co. feels like it. From now on, they can't just drop you regardless.

At the moment, those who would like to change jobs may be fearful of doing so in case they lose their insurance. From now on, that situation will not happen - thus allowing much more freedom of movement in the jobs market.

At the moment, anyone can be barred from insurance if they have a pre-existing condition. From 2014, that will not be allowed.

Might I add that this President has succeeded in doing what many others before him have failed to do? That is, brought America a step further towards being as civilized as France and other nations.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:49 AM

8,908 posts, read 15,154,411 times
The tax added income tax starts now,some insurance reformation after the bill bounces back and forth between the house and the senate... some benefits in 2014 and the remaining in 2018...if there's any money left.

BTW it's not "free" for those NOT in the "32 million." It averages to about $150 a MONTH per "working" American, not under private health care, by penalty of law. The Health and Human services will be checking up on you and you are required by LAW to provide all health coverage and financial information to them.

Those with private health care can expect skyrocketing premiums and having your employer DROP private coverage, because now the government will take care of you..

BTW, did anyone notice they nationalized student loans in this bill as well??? All private loans will evaporate..finacial sector jobs and fair market competition included.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 03-22-2010 at 05:59 AM..

Old 03-22-2010, 05:53 AM

3,700 posts, read 11,109,911 times
2014, maybe. In the meanime expect your insurance to go up, way up.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:40 AM

10,427 posts, read 29,129,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
I don't recall anything about "free" health insurance...I heard "affordable, quality" health care.
Nothing is free but many of us are willing to pay for health care.

Affordable depends on your income.

Quality is only a myth, you will not find quality in American healthcare unless you work for the useless criminal corrupt govt.

None of this matters if you do not by the communist govt health care. If you do not buy your govts health care you will have to pay a $25,000 fine or go to jail. This is the issue that blows me away, even for this commy govt. Has this forced penalty been lightened up in one of the modern versions of this bill?

Old 03-22-2010, 06:48 AM

460 posts, read 1,406,319 times
No shortage of worthy things to spend money on, including health care for everyone.

So just how will my (grown) children and their children pay for all these worthy things?

This isn't a concern for me personally, as wife and I have enough money on which to live comfortably, enjoy life and pass something on to the kids

I'm pretty sure my children won't be able to enjoy the same in their golden years, much less their children.

All because we pay for worthy things with money we don't have, racking up a debt that others behind us have to pay.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Nothing is free but many of us are willing to pay for health care.

Affordable depends on your income.

Quality is only a myth, you will not find quality in American healthcare unless you work for the useless criminal corrupt govt.

None of this matters if you do not by the communist govt health care. If you do not buy your govts health care you will have to pay a $25,000 fine or go to jail. This is the issue that blows me away, even for this commy govt. Has this forced penalty been lightened up in one of the modern versions of this bill?

I think it's reduced to an $385 dollars fine or 2.5% of your income if you are not a "working American." AKA, those making over 200k a year.

So...if you are having a tough time, because your employer dropped non-esssential employees ( jobs held by the middle class) like flies to cover hiked insurance premiums for essential employees...are you going to pay $150 a month, or $385 a year and use the emergency room?

Old 03-22-2010, 07:41 AM

1,126 posts, read 1,647,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
The tax added income tax starts now,some insurance reformation after the bill bounces back and forth between the house and the senate... some benefits in 2014 and the remaining in 2018...if there's any money left.

BTW it's not "free" for those NOT in the "32 million." It averages to about $150 a MONTH per "working" American, not under private health care, by penalty of law. The Health and Human services will be checking up on you and you are required by LAW to provide all health coverage and financial information to them.

Those with private health care can expect skyrocketing premiums and having your employer DROP private coverage, because now the government will take care of you..

BTW, did anyone notice they nationalized student loans in this bill as well??? All private loans will evaporate..finacial sector jobs and fair market competition included.
No, in fact now employers with more than 50 employees are required to offer health insurance, or pay a significant penalty. So MORE people will be covered by their employers. But good job spreading the "government takeover" fear a little further. That's productive.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
No, in fact now employers with more than 50 employees are required to offer health insurance, or pay a significant penalty. So MORE people will be covered by their employers. But good job spreading the "government takeover" fear a little further. That's productive.

This is true, you will be REQUIRED by law and penalty. But don't you think with the added expense, those companies with over 50 employees will seriously evaluate just how many employees they need to function? Increased operating expenses equal cut backs. Companies like Caterpillar will incur an additional 100 million annually in expenses with this law.

Those companies with under 50 employees (BTW there are a lot of them) most likely will drop private health care after hikes...or keep their most important and producing employees, and drop those that don't contribute to profit but only to office function (ie secretaries, invoicing, recepionists and the like) to maintain quality employees with the lure of private health care.

"But good job" glossing over the economic impact of this law.

Sticking solely to Insurance reform would have been the way to go...

Old 03-22-2010, 07:57 AM

1,126 posts, read 1,647,260 times
The economic impact remains to be seen. Right now the high cost of health care has the same kind of impact you've just described... employers have to think twice about hiring because of the cost of the health care benefit. This law is supposed to reduce the cost by reigning in costs in a whole variety of ways, and by regulating the insurance companies. If it were easy to fully predict economic impact, none of this would have taken so long... everyone would have seen that it would be a good thing, or a bad thing. One reason this debate has dragged on is because economic are complex, and health care is complex. So I'm afraid your two-sentence analysis of the economic impact doesn't impress me. I'm going to wait and see how this plays out over the next few years.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:00 AM

563 posts, read 264,082 times
Well, for those that do not work for a big corporation, you may want to start looking for a 2nd job. How many bosses out there are really going to "pay". This is far from any type of victory. Man bosses will start hiring through a agency, making them contractors to their company, not required to pay for health insurance. The agency will be required. Way to Go.

OR

You are making $10/hr lets say, you will now be making minimum wage. Congrats on your victory.

OR

The company closes or simply "lets you go" because they can not afford to have you on staff anymore.

THIS WAS A GREAT STEP, BUT IN WHICH DIRECTION.

Maybe next time everyone will read what is being shoved down their throats. How about the Congresspeople that buckled in, because of advertising money that would not be speant on them or endorsements that would not come their way.

I think a can of worms was opened that nobody really wanted opened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston