U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 06:45 PM

628 posts, read 1,293,248 times

Advertisements

How much a month do you reckon someone would need to put aside for maintenance and yard work on a single family home of about 1200-1500 square feet? How would that compare with a monthly HOA of $300-$400 for a condo or town home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 06:57 PM

617 posts, read 1,410,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleF View Post
How much a month do you reckon someone would need to put aside for maintenance and yard work on a single family home of about 1200-1500 square feet? How would that compare with a monthly HOA of $300-$400 for a condo or town home?
I became a condo dude after owning a single family home. The constant maintenance of yard, pool etc not only costs money but you either have to work or pay a gardner/pool man.
When you own a condo your association fee covers all the maintenance outside plus your roof, structure and outside walls, not to mention the insurance...all covered under the association...I will NEVER own a home for the rest of my days....Just bought a condo!!

oh...to answer your question maintenance on a home could exceed what you pay for association fee plus the bother....like I mentioned above roof, exterior and insurance covetred under association...hard to do that on a single family home with 300/month
Good Luck!

Old 03-30-2010, 07:09 PM

7,351 posts, read 8,059,337 times
I pay $22 a visit. In the summer, that's 4 visits a month. In October, November, March, April and May -that's about twice a month. I don't have any in December and January. Maybe one in February. I pay them extra twice a year to mulch, weed control, fertilize, etc. - about $150 per time. That's about $900 annually, compared to $3600 to $4800 annually for a monthly maintenance fee. However, sometimes cable and water are included in condo fees. Building insurance is included in condos, which means you are able to have the equivalent of renters' insurance for your possessions only (just don't forget that your possessions include things like flooring, cabinets, etc. in a condo). They cover things like termite and roof.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:13 PM

21,598 posts, read 23,714,857 times
Sure, Carole.... but, did you read about HOA???
Also, compare the value of a home versus condo. Yard care is not very expensive, you can have it done for $60/month in the summer and for less in the winter, plus your choice of extra expenses ( new plants, fertilizer etc.)
With those you are flexible; but HOA fees you have to pay, no matter what and you better never be late...

Old 03-30-2010, 08:09 PM

What about real gardening. How much would it cost to have someone take care of plants, weeding, pruning etc.? The one thing that stops me when I think "house" is what would happen to the cute garden that I buy. My ex and I bought a home with a beautiful lawn. We wanted to put in a pool, so we didn't take care of it. Well, we got divorced, the pool didn't get built, and the new owners of our home had a run down garden. I am not a gardener. I can't tell the difference between weeds and flowers. So am I crazy to think of buying a home with a yard?

Old 03-30-2010, 08:10 PM

50,247 posts, read 47,579,412 times
1st few years you will think you are saving money by not getting a condo with HOA.
until the day comes for the termite and plumbing and roof and the structural work and painting.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:24 PM

10,427 posts, read 30,000,204 times
Well in a human filing cabinet......oops sorry I mean a condo, you can not even have a garden. You can not even have a yard. You are lucky to have a 5' x 5' square fenced in incorrectly called patio with a cement floor. You have a communist HOA that will tell you what you can and can not do. Your whole life will be controlled by Hitler or Kim Jong Ill like mad men control freaks. And in the end you have a product that will rot on the market for twice as long as a single family detached home.

In a single family detached you can do whatever your little heart desires so long as you do not have a communist HOA to dictate to you what you can and can not do. You can plant anything you wish, trees, flowers, vegetables...etc. You actually have the right to own, occupy and enjoy the fruits of your land.....unlike a human filing cabinet......oops I accidentally said that again. I mean condo.

Cheryjohns had the numbers right on with having a lawn VS some stacked housing units who hire some clown to do it for you for a stupid high fee.

The fact that you are asking about yard work suggests to me you might enjoy having a garden and a nice lawn. You simply will not have that opportunity with a stacked human filing cabinet. Oh there is a lawn but it ain't yours.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:54 PM

7,351 posts, read 8,059,337 times
What about a patio home? Small yard that can be decked as much as you want. Then just plant in large pots scattered about the deck.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:58 PM

Back to square one. Patio home where? I need one story and the ones I can afford are not good areas.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:44 PM

2,577 posts, read 5,636,294 times
I can't remember what your original criteria was on location so forgive me if this is way off locale wise. I know they have patio homes out in Champions where the exterior lawn care is taken care of. They are not that expensive either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston