Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 09:28 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,946,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
However the percentage of the white population is dropping faster at DFW than Houston. Of course it has a longer way to fall.

By next year, DFW will be a minority-majority metro area:

DFW Metropolitan Area Demographics

Is DFW still more segregated? Sure, but again that is changing rapidly. DFW is changeing faster than Houston.
As of 2008, DFW's population was still 52% White alone, so I think it may become minority-majority like Houston next year, or the year after (for comparison's sake, Houston's White alone population is at 42% as of 2008). I'm going by the link posted by C2H. And going by that link, DFW has a while to catch Houston overall, because it's not like Houston isn't gaining either. If Houston stopped gaining international residents tomorrow, then yeah, DFW would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I know several black people who live in places like Southlake, Plano, Frisco, etc. who love it. Would you not feel comfortable there?
They may love it, but it's no denying that DFW is a lot more segregated. Most Black people I knew when I lived in DFW those few years chose to live in Cedar Hill/DeSoto/Duncanville/Lancaster. Where all the other Black people lived.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:08 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,021 times
I'm black and can honestly say that if I lived in the DFW area, i would feel more in place in the South Dallas/ Oak Cliffe, and Lancaster areas where my grandfather used to live before he died. The north side and Plano areas are just too wealthy for my tase.

However, in Houston, i don't feel out of place anywhere, not even in the Galleria or Westside Houston because I often see plenty of other minority groups (especially hispanic) in full force all areas of the metro.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:19 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,726,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
As of 2008, DFW's population was still 52% White alone, so I think it may become minority-majority like Houston next year, or the year after (for comparison's sake, Houston's White alone population is at 42% as of 2008). I'm going by the link posted by C2H. And going by that link, DFW has a while to catch Houston overall, because it's not like Houston isn't gaining either. If Houston stopped gaining international residents tomorrow, then yeah, DFW would.

They may love it, but it's no denying that DFW is a lot more segregated. Most Black people I knew when I lived in DFW those few years chose to live in Cedar Hill/DeSoto/Duncanville/Lancaster. Where all the other Black people lived.
The point Im making isnt that DFW is more itegrated. I think we can all agree that it isnt. The point Im trying to make goes into two parts:

1) DFW is changing faster than Houston is changing.
2) Diversity is a newer concept to DFW than it is to Houston and it had farrther to come in the first place.

As for African Americans in DFW, if they choose to only go to the southern suburbs, then why complain about segregation? If people want to live there, live there. No one is forcing them out of other areas. From the African-Americans I know in the Northern suburbs, they are very very happy there. Just because an area is mostly white doesnt mean minorities arent allowed there.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:20 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,726,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
However, in Houston, i don't feel out of place anywhere, not even in the Galleria or Westside Houston because I often see plenty of other minority groups (especially hispanic) in full force all areas of the metro.
The Dallas Galleria is that way too. I see lots of Hispanics, African-Americans, Asians, and Arabs/Indians there. I should know I go there twice a week or so (we live next door to it).

Old 04-07-2010, 05:17 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,031,388 times
Lets not forget, DFW is exactly what it's acronym name suggests. It's Dallas and Fort Worth, two very large cities, in one metro, Houston is by itself in it's metro. In fact look at how they divide the DFW metro. They have the Dallas-Plano-Irving metro and the Fort Worth-Arlington metro put together to make the DFW Metro.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:35 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,994,936 times
umm its not just houston metro

Old 04-07-2010, 05:53 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,946,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Lets not forget, DFW is exactly what it's acronym name suggests. It's Dallas and Fort Worth, two very large cities, in one metro, Houston is by itself in it's metro. In fact look at how they divide the DFW metro. They have the Dallas-Plano-Irving metro and the Fort Worth-Arlington metro put together to make the DFW Metro.
This actually helps DFW gain more international residents. Both Dallas and Fort Worth have their own draw for international residents, as each are major cities. Houston does it by itself.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:09 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,031,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
This actually helps DFW gain more international residents. Both Dallas and Fort Worth have their own draw for international residents, as each are major cities. Houston does it by itself.
Exactly!

Old 04-07-2010, 06:13 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,656,047 times
DFW: white population is at %69

Old 04-07-2010, 06:17 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,863,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
DFW: white population is at %69
Oh no...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston