Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 08:56 PM

6 posts, read 44,130 times

Advertisements

Hi, over the past week or so my oldest cat, 15 yrs old, has stopped eating, drinking, or even moving. He lays in one spot all day. Hes gotten extremely skinny in just the past 3-4 days (of course over Easter Break so the clinics I usually go to were closed). Hes in pain, and I know hes old enough to probably have some sort of liver/kidney disease (tho he showed absolutely no signs before now of having any problem, he ate fine, drank fine, played with the other cats - tho he had gone from regular size cat to somewhat skinny about 4 months ago but stayed the same weight, even gained a bit, since then until now).

Anyway, I had a friend whos cat did the same as mine, and she ended up having to choose between a 5k$ bill or euthanasia. Im all for saving a pets life, Im trying my hardest to save mine, but sadly I dont have the money to pay for surgeries. Hes a resiliant cat, never any problems up til now, so I know whatever vet I take him to, to fix his dehydration, would want to do extensive tests that I cant afford (My brother just got done paying 200$ just for a blood test on his cat). Even worse is that since I have a joint checking, any money I get (or borrow from other family to help pay for my college bills), is usually used up. At the moment Im literally sitting at 0$. Im considering the possibility of taking him (my cat) in to end his suffering at least.

So anyone know how much Euthanasia of a pet around the houston (Baytown/Highlands) area would cost? Its a last resort, of course, but Id rather know how much, get the money, just in case he still deteriorates even with all my attempts to make him well again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 09:34 PM

460 posts, read 2,418,787 times
We lost a beloved cat of 15 yrs to a similar experience a couple of years ago, so we weep with you. In her case she passed away within 24 hr of experiencing renal failure. Symptoms were the same as yours. We didn't have to put her to sleep, but it did cost me $50 to have the vet dispose of the body (wife wouldn't let me just bury her in the backyard - worried that some animal might dig up the body). You might call the SPCA and see if they have any better suggestions than paying a vet.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:46 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,126,577 times
SPCA is a good idea.

I am not in your area, but would encourage you to check around. On Christmas Eve, I thought that I would have to euthanize my pet rat, BC the cost to remove her tumor was $350. I had been unemployed for more than three months, I didn't have the money. The vet quoted me over $150 to euthanize, with $40 returned if I took the body. I went to another place and was told it would be $25 to euthanize.

BTW- at the second place, the tech asked if he could take the rat to the vet to see how much removing the tumor would cost. $75!!! My ratty is running over my legs as I type this. I know that your cat's problem is much more serious and you are probably faced more with palliative care rather than treatment, but wanted to share, as I had always thought that costs were pretty much standard.

Good luck- many of us have been in your shoes and it is a sad place to be.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:36 PM

Thanks, and it indeed is. Hes helped me through so many troubles in my life, always there to purr for me and let me shove my face in his side no matter how many tears. But like I said hes a resilient cat, its something I notice relative to the breed he is (just roundabout applehead siamese). Only time he has ever been to a vet was Neutered, then when his tail got slammed in a door (due to wind force through a apartment), and for a deworming shot. Never had any health issues or sicknesses before. Im sure hes sort of like me (I rarely get sick, so when I do, not only am I feeling sick, but Im also scared). I know prices in Houston are way more (100$ to Neuter here, whereas where i lived about 10 yrs ago it was a mere 10$).

Im sort of scared to take him to the SPCA because not only will it require a surrender (and thus if he gets better - If, I prolly wont even get to know - Ill never see him again - never know if he goes to a new family and is taken care of or abused), or theyll euthanize him on their own time (thus I dont get those last precious moments to comfort him and say bye). I watch the Animal shows for the Houston area. I know they euthanize alot of pets that are in his condition simply because theyre "too far gone" even if theyre quite lively, and more so than my cat.

I wish his problem were as simple as yours, Magnolia. Even if it were say 300$ to completely cure his problems, Id gladly pay that. Id do my entire semester of college, all the problems that I had with my account with them all over again, if it was as simple as that. But like I said.. I had a fiend who just last week had to take her cat in to be euthanized, and her cat was exactly as mine is, only hers was actually walking around on her own and stuff (so a somewhat better condition). She had to euthanize it cus she couldnt afford the surgery, AND she was moving and was afraid the cat wouldnt get the proper vet care out in the middle of nowhere.

But thank you, both of you... I am still hopeful he might recover on his own with my help of course. Hes already trying to drink more water, tho, hes having problems still.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:47 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,126,577 times
I think the comment about contacting the SPCA was to find out if there are inexpensive places to which you can turn. I'm sure the poster didn't mean that you should surrender your pet.

Without a checkup, there is no way to tell. It might be time. But you shouldn't have to make that decision alone. You need to get your cat to a vet so that you are not alone in deciding what is best for him.

I am going to post a link to this thread in the pet forum. The folks who post there are incredible and have helped me on several occasions.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:50 PM

460 posts, read 2,418,787 times
Far be it for me to suggest what you should do with a beloved pet. We've not had to wrestle with that problem yet as all our pets over the years have died quickly.

But I have played the "what if" mind game many, many times. I always come to the conclusion that if I can't restore the pet's quality of life, it's better to end their misery. 15 years is standard old age for a cat. Many live longer, but if we get 15 years together, I'm thankful. We now have two wonderful Tonkinese, who just turned two. One of them follows me around the house and insists in riding in the car with me everywhere. He also sits on my shoulders as I walk around the neighborhood, and in the cart when I shop at Home Depot (all without a leash). He also has striking white fur and deep blue eyes. Needless to say he's a "looker" with a matching personality. I've become very attached to him, BUT I'm already working through the realization that we have approximately 13 years left. He and I even talk about it. I don't want to come to the point in time when he needs to be relieved of his suffering, only to be denied that relief for my benefit. I love this cat more than my own life, but I also want him to enjoy life and not suffer.

I wish the same for you and your cat.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:55 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,107,745 times
I just had to euthanize my 9 year old cat last October. Because it happened on a weekend, they emergency vet charged me over $200 to put him to sleep. They were horrible people. They even asked to keep his carrier "since I was not going to be using it anymore". If I had been able to take him into his normal vet, I am sure it would have been much less money and the people would have been as nice as they always are. Take him in to a vet tomorrow. At 15, they will not most likely try to talk you into taking measures that you can't afford. At least your cat will pass away with you comforting him. I am so sorry.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:10 AM

Well its not that Im not taking him in "for my own benefit" because I dont have the money, but literally, I dont have the money. The vets office will not do anything to him if I have no money to pay them. And I have no idea what happens if someone were to try and get their pet fixed up then denied pay. I know at my vet the vet sees them, talks what to do, then the owner and vet decide, then you come out, and get your meds/bill and pay. No pay = no meds/help. And this is not even mentioning that my 15 year cat is terrified of the cat and vets office. Last time I took him was years ago for his dewormer shot, and he peed in the car he was so scared.

Thats why I need to make sure I can afford it first, else all it will do is just stress him out more. If theres any hope in helping him, then Im sure it doesnt include futile stress.

I wish I knew more of these "home visit vets" I saw on the net a bit. Moreover I wish I knew of one around here. Someone was saying that you can have... it... done at home in a peaceful setting. If I have to send him to those pretty fields of catnip :/ Ah made myself cry yet again

Old 04-05-2010, 12:51 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,107,745 times
Call your vet tomorrow and let them know the situation. I am sure a decent vet will not let an animal suffer because of lack of money. It's a shot that they give them and they go to sleep - how much could it really cost the vet? He may let you pay it out when you can. What area of town do you live in?

Old 04-05-2010, 01:22 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,146,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirararara View Post
Thanks, and it indeed is. Hes helped me through so many troubles in my life, always there to purr for me and let me shove my face in his side no matter how many tears. But like I said hes a resilient cat, its something I notice relative to the breed he is (just roundabout applehead siamese). Only time he has ever been to a vet was Neutered, then when his tail got slammed in a door (due to wind force through a apartment), and for a deworming shot. Never had any health issues or sicknesses before. Im sure hes sort of like me (I rarely get sick, so when I do, not only am I feeling sick, but Im also scared). I know prices in Houston are way more (100$ to Neuter here, whereas where i lived about 10 yrs ago it was a mere 10$).

Im sort of scared to take him to the SPCA because not only will it require a surrender (and thus if he gets better - If, I prolly wont even get to know - Ill never see him again - never know if he goes to a new family and is taken care of or abused), or theyll euthanize him on their own time (thus I dont get those last precious moments to comfort him and say bye). I watch the Animal shows for the Houston area. I know they euthanize alot of pets that are in his condition simply because theyre "too far gone" even if theyre quite lively, and more so than my cat.

I wish his problem were as simple as yours, Magnolia. Even if it were say 300$ to completely cure his problems, Id gladly pay that. Id do my entire semester of college, all the problems that I had with my account with them all over again, if it was as simple as that. But like I said.. I had a fiend who just last week had to take her cat in to be euthanized, and her cat was exactly as mine is, only hers was actually walking around on her own and stuff (so a somewhat better condition). She had to euthanize it cus she couldnt afford the surgery, AND she was moving and was afraid the cat wouldnt get the proper vet care out in the middle of nowhere.

But thank you, both of you... I am still hopeful he might recover on his own with my help of course. Hes already trying to drink more water, tho, hes having problems still.
I was in your exact place several years ago. I was a broke college student trying to save my 17 yo cat. I spent $350 but there was no saving him and I could not afford more vet bills. At the advice of my vet, I took him to the SPCA for euthanasia. They were very good with me and kitty (and mom because I was in tears). They did it right away and offered to let me be with him when he passed. They did not charge, but I did give them a $30 donation to cover it. A few weeks later, I got a beautiful sympathy card in the mail from them. Just call ahead and check with them before you go in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: