Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2012, 11:20 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo5110 View Post
I don't think they do either - they do choose the architects though. It's as if having your building put in DT Houston is a consolation prize for submitting your design to Hines to have it put in NY, LA or Chi (I don't actually know if they have buildings in those cities I just named the top three - although I'm sure they do). Where the hell is I.M Pei - what's that guy doing? He bored?! What about the folks who designed the Methodist Hospital Out Patient Center (as I call it: The TMC boat)?! While I'm excited that our city's skyline is continuing to develop, I just wish we had more of a physical identity.

Dallas is easily recognizable in the daylight due to Fountain Place and Renaissance Tower (IMO) and at night because of the Bank of America Center.

Houston is easily recognizable in the daylight due to our Bank of America Center, Heritage Plaza and the combo of Chase Tower and Wells Fargo Plaza (to a certain degree) but at night, there's hardly anything. We have no signature. Whatever, I'll get off my soapbox now. *inhales, exhales*
Houston's DT was lit up too. The lights bounced off the glass from some of the buildings like Enron Buildings and kinda was a driving Harzard to motorists on 45.

and though its not brightly lit, DT Houston still looks good at night:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3048/...d4fd6ed5_o.jpg

This one showed the green tacky LED thing I was talking about: http://www.lukespence.com/photos/hou-night.jpg
http://www.lukespence.com/photos/hou-balcony.jpg

Houston is beautiful:
http://www.michaelbleyzer.com/Citysc...33_3yf5d-L.jpg

According to wiki, the green lights on the Wedge tower Downtown inspired the lighting for the BOA building Downtown Dallas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 11:22 PM

137 posts, read 216,136 times
That rendering is a proposal from years ago. It was a mixed use building that was planned for that block after the Shamrock building wasn't developed on the site. It has nothing to do with Hines it was a completely different developer so I doubt that's the development Hines will present. That rendering was called Houston City Centre I believe.

@vertigo5110 none of the Allen centers were built by Hines they were all built by Brookfield. They have also mentioned that if they can pre-lease space in 5 Allen center they will begin construction on it this year.

Also there are rumors of three other developers that have office buildings planned Skansa, Crescent real estate, and Linbeck.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:27 PM

571 posts, read 1,281,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Houston's DT was lit up too. The lights bounced off the glass from some of the buildings like Enron Buildings and kinda was a driving Harzard to motorists on 45.

and though its not brightly lit, DT Houston still looks good at night:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3048/...d4fd6ed5_o.jpg

This one showed the green tacky LED thing I was talking about: http://www.lukespence.com/photos/hou-night.jpg
http://www.lukespence.com/photos/hou-balcony.jpg

Houston is beautiful:
http://www.michaelbleyzer.com/Citysc...33_3yf5d-L.jpg

According to wiki, the green lights on the Wedge tower Downtown inspired the lighting for the BOA building Downtown Dallas
I knew that about Wedge, actually. Wedge IS kind of closer to the freeway than Dallas's Bank of America is. I don't know, maybe my sentiment stems from the fact that I see downtown ALL THE TIME so I'm kind of used to it.

Houston IS beautiful, that's for dang sure. Remember that whole Power of Houston celebration a few years ago? We should do that again...that was fun.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornhouston View Post
That rendering is a proposal from years ago. It was a mixed use building that was planned for that block after the Shamrock building wasn't developed on the site. It has nothing to do with Hines it was a completely different developer so I doubt that's the development Hines will present. That rendering was called Houston City Centre I believe.

@vertigo5110 none of the Allen centers were built by Hines they were all built by Brookfield. They have also mentioned that if they can pre-lease space in 5 Allen center they will begin construction on it this year.

Also there are rumors of three other developers that have office buildings planned Skansa, Crescent real estate, and Linbeck.
Wow - certainly different form the City Centre that ended up getting built. Well, I guess that answers that. I hope 5 Allen Center happens. I'd heard of Skanska purchasing the building that the Houston club is in and making statements to the effect that they would demolish it since it is in such disrepair. They also have a development under construction in Uptown. I hope they develop and build on their downtown lot too - something nice and tall and stately. I've heard of Crescent Real Estate but I can't remember in what context or w/ reference to what project. Who the heck is Linbeck and what are they doing? HAHA...no seriously, tell me about that

Old 04-02-2012, 11:41 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo5110 View Post
Wow - certainly different form the City Centre that ended up getting built. Well, I guess that answers that. I hope 5 Allen Center happens. I'd heard of Skanska purchasing the building that the Houston club is in and making statements to the effect that they would demolish it since it is in such disrepair. They also have a development under construction in Uptown. I hope they develop and build on their downtown lot too - something nice and tall and stately. I've heard of Crescent Real Estate but I can't remember in what context or w/ reference to what project. Who the heck is Linbeck and what are they doing? HAHA...no seriously, tell me about that
aww, he burst my bubble

anyway, I don't like the idea of demolishing the Houston Club Building. It is a gorgeous building, at least from what I can see from the outside.

They keep demolishing the fine detail buildings and building walls of concrete or glass, when there are over 30 empty lots just sitting in Dtown. I mean, wouldn't it be cheaper to buy an empty lot and build on it than having to pay for a building, pay for demo, then pay for excavation and then rebuilding.

I am averse demolishing because lots f beautiful gems were demolished to build new buildings that never went up.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:28 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Yall DT is a little bipolar. LOL! J/K

Old 04-03-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
aww, he burst my bubble

anyway, I don't like the idea of demolishing the Houston Club Building. It is a gorgeous building, at least from what I can see from the outside.

They keep demolishing the fine detail buildings and building walls of concrete or glass, when there are over 30 empty lots just sitting in Dtown. I mean, wouldn't it be cheaper to buy an empty lot and build on it than having to pay for a building, pay for demo, then pay for excavation and then rebuilding.

I am averse demolishing because lots f beautiful gems were demolished to build new buildings that never went up.
One would think. One would also think that it'd be nice for Skanska (a Swedish firm known for dabbling in modern projects - with modern design) to add a historic building to its American portfolio. Granted, I don't know that they don't already have historic buildings in their American portfolio but from the "Projects" section of their website, it seems that their only historic projects are the restoration being undertaken on the Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridges.

I agree though, why not work to restore/preserve the exterior while making the interior ultra modern and a more efficient use of space? Nobody asks me these things though.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:15 AM

137 posts, read 216,136 times
@vertigo5110 Crescent Real Estate are the owners of the Houston Center buildings, the building they have planned is around 600,000 sq ft. They actually recently sold one of their towers to its tenant, so maybe they have the capital needed to begin this tower.

Linbeck Construction own the city block surrounded by Milam, Preston, Travis, and Prairie right across from the recently remodeled Market Square Park. I believe they are shopping around a mixed-use tower.

Both pieces of land that Brookfield (5 Allen center) and Linbeck own are in great positions hopefully some signature towers will be built in these locations.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:21 AM

More apartments
More luxury apartments headed for Galleria area | Prime Property | a Chron.com blog

Old 04-03-2012, 09:33 AM

Two new restaurants are set to fill the Gravitas space
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston