U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 05-09-2012, 01:08 PM

87 posts, read 65,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornhouston View Post
Yea I was really excited about those two developments at one point in time as well . . . I just can't understand why they can't get off the ground with the way that Houston's economy is booming. I see all these other projects get off the ground in other cities that economies aren't doing nearly as great as Houstons. It's disappointing.
I think the reason these have not broken ground is b/c they have retail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-09-2012, 01:20 PM

9,889 posts, read 9,157,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockmat View Post
I think the reason these have not broken ground is b/c they have retail.
I wonder what's wrong with the retail part.

Unread 05-09-2012, 02:35 PM

87 posts, read 65,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I wonder what's wrong with the retail part.
Well, from what people who know more than i do say is that mixed-use is always more difficult to do b/c of financing - lenders are more picky about it.

Plus, mixed-use developments, at least in Houston, usually require high-end retail. Not sure how that affects things as well.

Unread 05-09-2012, 03:54 PM

1,473 posts, read 738,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornhouston View Post
Yea I was really excited about those two developments at one point in time as well . . . I just can't understand why they can't get off the ground with the way that Houston's economy is booming. I see all these other projects get off the ground in other cities that economies aren't doing nearly as great as Houstons. It's disappointing.
Thats my thought with Houston taking all these top ranking over the last two and three years you would think it would be a explosion of new developments going on, but the only building that seems to be going on are residental or retail, mean while NY , L.A chi and a number of other cities have skyscrappers and other projects going up even when they where in a down turn.

Unread 05-09-2012, 04:37 PM

9,889 posts, read 9,157,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockmat View Post
Well, from what people who know more than i do say is that mixed-use is always more difficult to do b/c of financing - lenders are more picky about it.

Plus, mixed-use developments, at least in Houston, usually require high-end retail. Not sure how that affects things as well.
Oh ok. From your post, to me it seemed as if it was hard for Houston to score retail projects. But I get it now.

Unread 05-09-2012, 05:25 PM

2,677 posts, read 1,733,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
Thats my thought with Houston taking all these top ranking over the last two and three years you would think it would be a explosion of new developments going on, but the only building that seems to be going on are residental or retail, mean while NY , L.A chi and a number of other cities have skyscrappers and other projects going up even when they where in a down turn.
Don't forget Dallas.

Unread 05-09-2012, 06:02 PM

91 posts, read 67,266 times
I can understand the retail aspect causing issues for BLVD Place being able to get financing since the majority of the project is retail, but I believe the majority of Regent Square is residential and office space. Considering how many midrise apartments are going up it seems that they would be able to get financing. There are midrise apartments going up that haven't been planned nearly as long as Regent Square. Plus office space near downtown is really dwindling. It just seems that if they aren't able to get RS off the ground now they never will be able to.

Unread 05-09-2012, 10:19 PM

1,473 posts, read 738,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Don't forget Dallas.
No not to dallas explains the point of that damn bridge..lol

Unread 05-09-2012, 11:58 PM

2,677 posts, read 1,733,085 times
Quote:
No not to dallas explains the point of that damn bridge..lol
Oh trust me you'll see.

Unread 05-10-2012, 01:51 AM

8,612 posts, read 7,394,727 times
Quote:
Houston has a ton of office towers going up right now. Vacancy is relatively low. I don't know what youre talking about. A 600+ foot tower was just completed Downtown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Don't forget Dallas.
Dallas isnt building any big, or as many towers as Houston though. The vacancy is too high here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston