Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 12:23 PM

32 posts, read 74,710 times

Advertisements

Specifically I'm asking about the area just north of I-10 and Mason Rd.

I currently live in the "nice" area of Pasadena (no jokes!) at Fairmont Parkway and East Beltway 8, and we paid almost 180K for a new 2400 sq ft two-story house just over five years ago (since then I've found out it's in a 100 yr flood plain, but we've never been flooded). We have now put this house for sale since money is getting tight.

We recently looked at homes in the Lakes at Mason Park subdivision and I was amazed to see prices for new Gateway homes within the 130K to 145K range. We have already put earnest money here for a house that has not even started construction yet (est. completion: June/July).

I almost automatically assume Katy is a relatively safe city and don't consider crime a problem here. However my wife is starting to wonder why do homes seem to be so much cheaper here? Is there a catch?

She recently saw some spray paint tagging on a convenience store on Mason Rd. and immediately started to wonder about crime and safety.

I asked our salesperson about the reason for the lower prices and she said the developer and the owner set the prices, but that there is no specific reason for why they are on the lower side. She did mention how the area south of I-10 is more popular and tends to be higher priced.

Can anyone who lives in the I-10/Mason Rd. area offer any insight into this? Thanks in advance for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 12:52 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,995,303 times
because north Katy is not Cinco Ranch or a CR wannabe area

Old 04-09-2010, 01:09 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
The homes are smaller, as a rule. It's a safe area, just not as desired as Cinco, which is full of nice bigger homes. You might want to push for a June 30th or earlier closing - you probably qualify for the $6500 tax credit since you have been in your current home 5 years (not the new buyer tax credit - the other one). You will notice that subdivisions built since 2004 have been blighted more by foreclosures than older ones - is there any reason you are buying new? I have more fear of the new subdivisions under a certain price point.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:14 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,863,814 times
South is a little nicer than North. But that depends on each person. Got to check it out first. I wouldn't mind living North.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
The homes are smaller, as a rule. It's a safe area, just not as desired as Cinco, which is full of nice bigger homes. You might want to push for a June 30th or earlier closing - you probably qualify for the $6500 tax credit since you have been in your current home 5 years (not the new buyer tax credit - the other one). You will notice that subdivisions built since 2004 have been blighted more by foreclosures than older ones - is there any reason you are buying new? I have more fear of the new subdivisions under a certain price point.
No particular reason for buying new. The price is low, I get the floorplan I want with my own options the way I like. Used properties I saw were selling for comparable prices, and who knows what's wrong with those.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Can you explain why under a certain price point? I would think if it were a newer subdivision and over a certain price point, the more likely the homeowner would have difficulty paying and then get foreclosed on.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:41 PM

240 posts, read 807,788 times
I drive right by Lakes of Mason Park every day to and from work. I watched the houses go up in that neighborhood at an alarming rate. I know that new homes are being built super fast today but those seemed to be built faster than normal. I know nothing of the builder and who knows...maybe they are running a top notch operation. Just stating what I observed for a few months when the neighborhood was first built.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meilton View Post
Can you explain why under a certain price point? I would think if it were a newer subdivision and over a certain price point, the more likely the homeowner would have difficulty paying and then get foreclosed on.
The days of getting a liar's loan are gone. People going into a $250K plus neighborhood today has to actually qualify for a $250K house. New homes under under a certain price point have more people that can qualify - and that's not what hurts the neighborhood. It's the builder that is trying to stay under that price point to make sure his houses move - and possibly cut a few corners in order to do so. Your most expensive rooms to build are kitchens and bathrooms. Whether it's a 3/2 or a 5/3.5 with 1500 extra square feet - that only 1 kitchen/2 baths vs. 1 kitchen/3.5 baths - or a 1.5 bath difference. Yes, the quality of the finishes will be nicer in the big one in a more expensive neighborhood, there is a little more land expense and more construction expense, but you are selling much more square footage overall.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thila View Post
I drive right by Lakes of Mason Park every day to and from work. I watched the houses go up in that neighborhood at an alarming rate. I know that new homes are being built super fast today but those seemed to be built faster than normal. I know nothing of the builder and who knows...maybe they are running a top notch operation. Just stating what I observed for a few months when the neighborhood was first built.
Exactly. Just be sure and get your own inspector, no matter how nice that builders' agent was to you. You will come out way ahead.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:17 AM

97 posts, read 265,821 times
I live in the neighborhood..I purchased my home from Green Eco Builders..and we are very happy with the neighborhood and our home. We are first time home buyers, and we purchased our home in November 2009. We moved from California and I looked at all homes everywhere in the Katy/Spring area..and we just kept coming back to our home (we purchased the exact model and floorplan).
Katy is an up and coming area, and we chose The lakes at Mason because it is not as crowded as other area. We know eventually it WILL..but we are a family of 4, got the FHA loan, and never imagined having a starter home of this quality and size..(and price!). California prices are way insane and much higher..so you can imagine our position.
We also have two small children and loved the convenience of having the school right next door. Also the streets here are not busy, and that's what we are very happy about.
While it IS desirable to live in the Cinco area, for what we could afford; we are extremely happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston