Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 06:16 PM

76 posts, read 212,243 times

Advertisements

Scarface mentioned Wallis may be a good idea. When I was originally looking up info. Wallis great schools rating is 8/10 and Sealy is a 9/10.

It appears these ratings are according the the kids test standardized scores. If this is the case, the ratings are the same as Friendswood.

I may be off base here, but it would appear Scarface may be correct. From the gathered info. it appears this meets the small school criteria and a good education criteria.

Does anyone else have an opinion about Wallis and Sealy? Education, sports programs, etc.

Also, how likely is it we will be able to find a nice rental home there?

If anyone has kids who attend either of these schools (especially because of distance to the airport) or has attended these school personally I would love to hear from them or anyone familiar with these area's.

Thanks again for all the help. This site has been a wonderful resource to read everyone's idea's and opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 07:37 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,149,982 times
Both of those areas are a pretty good distance to either of the airports. If you wanted small town living with acess to the airport, I would think to look up the towns north of Houston on Hwy 59.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:21 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,867,375 times
Wallis isn't too far from Bush.

Edit: Did I say Wallis? I meant to say Willis.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:56 PM

2,276 posts, read 4,013,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine11 View Post
thanks for the info. I will check that area out. A town of 20,000 or below would be nice, but wouldn't that be about a 3A school?

Are there any new highschools out the way of Friendswood or Seabrook that might end up being smaller schools?

Maybe I am stretching. I was just really hoping to find that small school. Any idea's for private schools that are not extremely expensive? (i.e. christian schools and such).
I think we are mis-communicating because of confusion over the enrollment sizes. This is the enrollment breakdown of 5A/4A sizes, etc. for 2010-2012 (this is enrollment for the high school - grades 9-12 combined):

5A 2065 & up
4A 990 to 2064
3A 430 to 989
2A 200 to 429
1A 199 & below

So a school with only 1100 students (in grades 9-12) would be 4A.

Athletic district assignments are a BIG DEAL in sports-crazy Texas. This site will tell you the enrollments of each high school and which district they are placed in:

UIL: 2010-2012 Enrollment Data (http://www.utexas.edu/uil/alignments/enrollment.html - broken link)

Good luck!

Old 04-13-2010, 10:21 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,586,412 times
Willis and Sealy would seem like good choices. I'm not super familiar with them, but have been to both towns. I've never heard of anything horrible going on in them. I think Willis looks nicer (topography wise).

Old 04-14-2010, 05:06 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,149,982 times
Geography wise, Sealy is in the coastal prairie and Willis is in the piney woods. Vastly different looks to the communities.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:16 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,867,375 times
Sealy is on some rolling hills in the prairie, and Willis is the same way, just in the piney woods. The hills are bigger in Willis, though.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:21 PM

Default Willis?

Is it really Willis? I thought is was Wallis?

Does anyone have opinions about Brookshire or Fulshear High Schools, communities? It appears Brookshire is a small high school and I cannot tell if Fulshear feeds into a larger district or whether or not they have their own high school.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:35 AM

2,276 posts, read 4,013,404 times
Wallis is near Sealy. The school is Brazos High School.

Willis is north of Conroe. (Willis High School)

Fulshear does not have separate school district - they are in Lamar Consolidated School District (along w/ Richmond and Rosenberg) - though I am not sure where the district lines are - there is a lot of new development happening in Fulshear area.

Brookshire would indeed be a rather small district - but does not enjoy a stellar reputation. (It is called Royal High School.)

Splendora would be another fairly small high school that would be in reasonably close proximity to the airport.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:26 PM

Watchful...thanks for the breakdown of school sizing and all the other great info.It's been great!

Thanks to everyone else who has posted the info. as well. Everyone's input as really helped in ruling out and ruling in possibilities to visit. My planned visit is going to be the first week of May.

Watchful, does Spledora have a decent school reputation, community and decent education and sports ratings?/

Do you or anyone have an opinion about Brazos High school? do they have a good reputation for education and community? I thought their school ratings were a 8/10. I found that pretty impressive, but from not being in or around the area my knowledge is very limited.

Also, what about the distance from there to the airport?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston