U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2010, 09:36 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,051,247 times

Advertisements

Splendora...I don't know of any negatives as far as school reputation. Some will say there is a "redneck" ethos to that area.

Wallis...is a pretty unique town - unlike many other towns in the Houston area, it is predominantly Czech Catholic. I'm sure that will give the whole environment a unique feel - quite a bit different from Splendora. Can't say I know of any negatives about the school. The school is located between Wallis and Orchard and serves both communities.

Check out these pics!

Wallis, Texas Church.

Mark & Chris's Phaeton Place: Guardian Angel Catholic Church, Wallis, TX

The priest is Father Nguyen - go figure!

Splendora is 23 miles to Bush airport. Wallis is 59 miles to Hobby and 67 miles to Bush.

The state stats give the % of the students that classify as "at-risk." There is a huge long formula for how they come up with that. Unfortunately there is often a perceived negative correlation to the "desirability" of the school system.

Splendora shows 47% "at risk."

Brazos (Wallis) shows 36%.

Royal (Brookshire) shows 59%.

(Statewide total is about 48%) For what it's worth...

Last edited by Watchful; 04-15-2010 at 09:48 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 04:41 PM

76 posts, read 178,012 times
Default further info. that might help.

I just got the addresses to the places of where he can place his office. I thought I might post the general vicinities and that may help narrow it down by a whole lot of choices.

Choice #1 Somewhere very near the Houston Airport

Choice #2 Somewhere between 59 and Sam Houston Tollway in Bellfort area

Choice #3 Somewhere near W. Port Arthur Rd., Avenue A & 287/96/69 (Beaumont, TX)

Choice #4 Somewhere near Dixie Farm Rd. & 45 Gulf Freeway (Webster, TX)

I took off Longview because it seems too far from the Houston area. He will just have to fly into that one.

So, ideal location would be small school, good education, decent sports, near an airport and not an extreme distance to drive into work as well.

It appears i am asking for the moon and there may not be any real possibilites. In which case, I should probably start looking into private schools to get the good education in a smaller school. ( but we also need to be able to find a nice rental home for the first year.)

Someone is telling me Webster is probably the best area to look at with the distance to airport and work. I plan to find work once I arrive there.

Any further input is greatly appreciated. I thought this info. might really narrow the possibilities down even if the possibilities are zero and private schools only.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:55 PM

9,223 posts, read 12,391,137 times
Which Houston airport? IAH or Hobby?

Old 04-16-2010, 05:05 PM

8,068 posts, read 24,689,318 times
I'd choose Dixie Farm/45 above all those other places.

You're not going to get a small school with any of those places, though. For Beaumont/Port Arthur I'd seriously question the quality of schools.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:05 PM

Default Houston Airport

One of the choice locations to place his office is near the small Houston Airport (Spence Rd, and Farm Market Rd), but we need to be not very far from one of the larger airports because he will be flying out to other parts of the state often.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post

You're not going to get a small school with any of those places, though. For Beaumont/Port Arthur I'd seriously question the quality of schools.

Do you mean no small schools near Webster within a decent driving distance? What about private schools?

Old 04-16-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post

Is this location near the "Friendswood" area? It has been one of the favorite area's I have looked into so far, but I cannot seem to find the small school I am looking for in that area.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:08 PM

3,702 posts, read 14,936,066 times
Yep! that is close to Friendswood. The smaller schools are still going to be up north though. You also have to consider hurricane issues in the Friendswood area, so keep that in mind.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:29 PM

8,068 posts, read 24,689,318 times
Yes it's close to Friendswood, and all the schools around there are 5A. This is a heavily populated suburban area.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:52 PM

Default what about private schools?

[quote=tstone;13774125]Yes it's close to Friendswood, and all the schools around there are 5A. This is a heavily populated suburban area.[/quote

surely private schools are not 5A are they? I can't imagine...but I could be wrong.

poltracker.....
I'm not real concerned about the hurricanes, we plan to rent, so hopefully we can get rental insurance on our belongings and evacuate if needed.

will his be an area where we can find some pretty nice rental homes? I am still in search of the small schools as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston