Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2010, 05:38 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,809,581 times

Advertisements

Hubs and I are looking for someplace to buy good, fresh seafood. He has heard that Captain Henry's in Kemah is good. Has anyone been there? I would love to make a day trip out of a visit to the coast with some shopping and a nice lunch. I intend to try crawfish for the first time and if I like it we will bring some back. Is there someplace in Galveston that's better?

Neither of us are Houston natives so we don't know the good places to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 05:50 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,408,854 times
I have not tried Capt. Henrys....but I would suggest going down to Waterfront Drive, under the Kemah Bridge. You will see at least 4-5 freshfood fish establishments. You'll have your pick....I've been to them all and they are all comparable. You'll not get any fresher. Plus, I'm not certain, but if you want to "try" crawfish...I believe Capt. H only sells them live. I may be wrong. I know Rose's was selling boiled crawfish last weekend...not sure if they carry them boiled every weekend or not. If your looking for a restaurant to have some crawfish...Tom's on the cornor of 146 and Marina Bay has great crawfish...although, expect some crowds on the weekend.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:24 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,266,130 times
Yeah as stated above try the "Seabrook side" of the bridge - Waterfront Drive. Several fresh seafood places are on that side. The other side of the bridge is where the Kemah Boardwalk and shops are located.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:07 PM

101 posts, read 307,171 times
Rose's in Seabrook gets a lot of press/buzz, but I was underhwelmed. I thought Golden (Palace or Seafood? can't remember) was much better in terms of what they had for sale. If you're the kind of person that can look at shrimp and know what size they are ie how many per pound without checking the sign, then I think you might like Golden better.

Have not tried places in Kemah though. maybe I will on my next trip! oh, remember to take a cooler with you. Golden will help by packing some ice with your purchase.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:18 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,809,581 times
We will definitely check out Waterfront Drive, thanks!

Old 09-03-2011, 03:31 PM

2 posts, read 8,159 times
Default fresh shrimp

Try Hillmans off 146 in San Leon. Its on the water just south or west of 146. If you are going towards Texas City do not go over the bridge at (I think) 521 turn right at the water and follow the signs. Its only a couple hundred yards off of 146. The shrimp are fresh and the prices are good too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston