Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 09:55 PM
JL

8,515 posts, read 14,458,648 times

Advertisements

I have a feeling that some lawyer out there is gonna challenge this "yellow flashing" in court. I do think Sugarland city sure has alot of free time to come up with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 06:33 AM

279 posts, read 720,870 times
Sugar Land didn't "come up with this." It's in the new national Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD), a manual published by the Federal Highway Administration that specifies the standards by which traffic signs, road markings, and signals are designed, installed, and used.

It's being used in a growing number of cities around the country and its safety effects have been thoroughly researched. A lawyer can challenge this all he wants, it'll be a waste of time.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:24 PM

982 posts, read 3,298,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
If the left turn has a green ball while the thru lanes are red, is the green louvered or shielded so the thru lanes can't see the green ball?

If so, that is Dallas Phasing, an early method of preventing yellow trap. Up until this year, Dallas Phasing was allowed for the prevention of yellow trap. But the new MUTCD (Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices) has prohibited Dallas Phasing in favor of the flashing yellow arrow.

You are reading the signal correctly. With such a display, oncoming traffic has a circular green and a green left turn arrow.

But it is not creating yellow trap. It is preventing it by extending the permissive turn period until it is safe to end it.

The new flashing yellow arrow signals would show a flashing yellow arrow to mean the same thing, but no louvers or shielding are necessary.
Troubleshooter - do you by chance work for Naztec? My husband worked for Siemens ITS (well, he worked for Eagle before Siemens bought them out). You sound just like him, with all the jargon

Old 06-28-2010, 05:22 PM

1,089 posts, read 873,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I have a feeling that some lawyer out there is gonna challenge this "yellow flashing" in court. I do think Sugarland city sure has alot of free time to come up with this.
This has been in development and testing since 1997. It became part of the US Department of Transportation's "Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices" in December 2009. It is currently in use in 40 states, the District of Columbia, and Guam.

Oregon was the first state to give blanket approval of flashing yellow arrows. The state has already replaced over 1/3 of the "doghouse" signals (3 circular indications plus green and yellow arrows) with the new signal.

It works. Only one such signal has ever been removed, and that was because the geometry of the intersection made permissive turns hazardous.

One advantage of flashing yellow arrows is that the type of left turn phasing can be changed for different traffic plans for different times of day or different conditions:

1. Exclusively protected left turns
2. Protected and permissive left using flashing yellow arrow
3. Protected and permissive left using flashing red arrow (stop required)
4. Exclusively permissive left using flashing yellow arrow
5. Exclusively permissive left using flashing red arrow (stop required)
6. Prohibited turn mode (during railroad pre-emption)

The doghouse signals can switch between only numbers 2 and 4.

the order of the signals can also be changed with the different plans:

A. Leading turns in both directions (turns before oncoming)
B. Lagging turns in both directions (turns after oncoming)
C. Lead-lag phasing (ond direction leads, the other lags).

Old 06-28-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsengle View Post
Troubleshooter - do you by chance work for Naztec? My husband worked for Siemens ITS (well, he worked for Eagle before Siemens bought them out). You sound just like him, with all the jargon
No. I teach computer science at an Indiana college.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:00 PM

913 posts, read 4,326,187 times
I have experienced that yellow confusion today on Dairy Ashford and Corporate. Can I swear here?

Old 07-14-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by behtypa View Post
I have experienced that yellow confusion today on Dairy Ashford and Corporate. Can I swear here?
If you are talking about yellow trap, report to the authorities that their signal violates federal standards.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Flashing yellow arrows sounds like something you could buy at a Phish concert.
I would think that would be a phlashing yellow arrow.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoydS View Post
I don't need a FYA to tell me when to turn left when the oncoming traffic is clear. If folks can't judge distance and speed of traffic they shouldn't be driving.
A clarification:

The meanings of circular green and flashing yellow arrow are exactly the same to the left turning driver.

The difference is that they have very different meanings for drivers who are not turning left.

The flashing yellow arrow lets the signal stop each of the different movements at different times in the signal cycle.

Quote:
I would agree that retiming traffic signals reduces fuel consumption and emissions, but I sure would like to see the full report on that research for FYAs at intersections that was reported to DOT.

Just my 2 cents
The flashing yellow arrow allows retiming more streets for green light progression from intersection to intersection on two-way streets. Without the flashing yellow arrow, many streets can not be set up for two-way progression at all.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:29 PM

For the report and other information, Google:

"nchrp 493"

"flashing yellow arrows kittelson"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston