Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 07:44 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times

Advertisements

In the 70's Fondren SW was an up-and-coming neighborhood full of energy professionals. It was hit really hard by the oil collapse of the 80's and there were a lot of foreclosures and distressed sales. Land values were not terribly exclusive and the schools began to slide.

The nice houses are still there and the owners are still nice but the public areas are very public and the schools are bad enough to actively discourage the influx of new blood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 08:42 AM

1,474 posts, read 4,996,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
There is this thing call artificial intelligence, which is rapidly advancing. Also, in a true post-scarcity scenario, virtually all labor (and the decisions required by machines to conduct that labor) would be delegated to non-human intelligence. (Bots) We're not quite there yet. Energy is abundant (in the form of solar and wind, namely), but currently (as of 2010) we lack the tools to efficiently harness that energy. That is another development that man-kind is still working on. It's a hypothetical scenario that is still by some estimations at least 50 years away.

Also, in such a hypothetical society where a monetary economy is phased out, many forms of crime could go away too (i.e. theft, bank robbery, drug dealing) as many forms of crime are due to monetary/material gain. "Money is the root of all evil."
dude your posts freak me out

Old 04-26-2010, 08:44 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
dude your posts freak me out

The rich cause crime.. gotta love it.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:15 AM

90 posts, read 236,813 times
Quote:
There is this thing call artificial intelligence, which is rapidly advancing. Also, in a true post-scarcity scenario, virtually all labor (and the decisions required by machines to conduct that labor) would be delegated to non-human intelligence. (Bots) We're not quite there yet. Energy is abundant (in the form of solar and wind, namely), but currently (as of 2010) we lack the tools to efficiently harness that energy. That is another development that man-kind is still working on. It's a hypothetical scenario that is still by some estimations at least 50 years away.

Also, in such a hypothetical society where a monetary economy is phased out, many forms of crime could go away too (i.e. theft, bank robbery, drug dealing) as many forms of crime are due to monetary/material gain. "Money is the root of all evil."
Sounds alot like a "Zeitgeist Movement" idea to me. One issue all these non-monetary future societies and ideologies seem to miss is the one thing we all have and will never get rid of.... Greed.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:18 AM

867 posts, read 2,977,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcash View Post
Sounds alot like a "Zeitgeist Movement" idea to me. One issue all these non-monetary future societies and ideologies seem to miss is the one thing we all have and will never get rid of.... Greed.
The Zeitgeist Movement is related, but I'm more or less just a regular techno-optimist Singularitan. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_utopianism If we have no money, producing goods is as easy as duplicating software, and you could produce your own goods via molecular assemblers into anything you wanted http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molecul...Nanoassemblers greed could potentially go away.

I'm sure there's some NASA scientist or nanotech researcher at Rice out there who is tracking what I'm saying.

Last edited by Alphalogica; 04-26-2010 at 10:34 AM..

Old 04-26-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
The rich cause crime.. gotta love it.
Never said the rich cause crime. Read my posts.

It's a widely held belief that our monetary-based society in which scarcity exists causes many social ills (poverty, crime, war, etc). For instance, it's widely known that at least one of our wars (if not both) in Iraq was at least partially-influenced by our (current) scarcity for energy (oil).

Last edited by Alphalogica; 04-26-2010 at 10:46 AM..

Old 04-26-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
The Zeitgeist Movement is related, but I'm more or less just a regular techno-optimist Singularitan. Technological utopianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia If we have no money, producing goods is as easy as duplicating software, and you could produce your own goods via molecular assemblers into anything you wanted Molecular nanotechnology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia greed could potentially go away.
I am leaning towards a non nano machine future. I hope we pass that stage in our evolution before the grey-goo kills us all .LOL! IMHO Most of the uses for nanites as an assembler method will be outdated before an "atom assembler" ever hits the free market.

Regardless there will always be greed.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcash View Post
I am leaning towards a non nano machine future. I hope we pass that stage in our evolution before the grey-goo kills us all .LOL! IMHO Most of the uses for nanites as an assembler method will be outdated before an "atom assembler" ever hits the free market.

Regardless there will always be greed.
Without money, how could there be greed? People would always have the desire to have what they want, but if people know that what they have can be easily replaced (through nanotechnology), greed would vanish.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Without money, how could there be greed? People would always have the desire to have what they want, but if people know that what they have can be easily replaced (through nanotechnology), greed would vanish.
Not saying I know how or what will be the face of greed. Just saying that we will as humans find a way to be greedy about something. Maybe it will be location maybe it will be other people! Trust me, If a human is involved there will be greed.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:24 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
Being "better," leader, head of the pack..is animal nature. It's usually rewarded by something, which in today's society is MONEY. So even if you take away money, something else will be created as a "symbol" to represent the strongest.

Animals will never stand around the campfire holding hands...someone will always get eaten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston