Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 01:33 PM

57 posts, read 143,843 times

Advertisements

I grew up in SW Houston, went to Fondren Junior High and Sharpstown High, graduating in '81. A few years later one of my college classes required me to do some course work at Fondren, where I discovered that within a few short years (perhaps 6-7) the whole demographics of the school had changed. 90% of the kids were on free-lunch program and (as was told to me), the surrounding neighborhood (Fondren, from Braeswood south to Airport Dr.) had become mostly Section 8 apartments. I found this so sad since there were some really nice homes in the vicinity of Fondren Southwest.

I moved out of state in '86 and my husband and I returned to visit in 2009. We got quite an earful from our old friends (who no longer live where they grew up): Westwood Mall completely wasted, Sharpstown Mall you dare not shop at for fear you'll be shot, all the once nice apartment complexes that were brand new when we left are now drug/crime infested.

All of our friends have moved further out to Sugarland or Spring, to newer communities. Yet, at one time, SW Houston WAS the new community, THE place to buy a home. What will prevent the newer areas from becoming like Sharpstown or Fondren SW?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 01:35 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Lots of reasons why, but it's easiest to blame it on the whites moving out due to the ''diversity''.

Time to grab some popcorn and watch this one roll.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:38 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alidoremi View Post
What will prevent the newer areas from becoming like Sharpstown or Fondren SW?
Luck and high land value. If you don't have both, you're easy pickings for "the slide."

Old 04-22-2010, 01:41 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,170,918 times
Quote:
What will prevent the newer areas from becoming like Sharpstown or Fondren SW?
Nothing whatsoever. Over time, Sugar Land, Katy, The Woodlands, will all become inner-city slums. It's called "concentric zone theory" or Burgess's "concentric ring model". When populations grow, the concentric (and more crime riddled) inner-city business district expands and the wealthy move further out from the center.

Ever see the movie "Blade Runner"? Perfect example. Cities become HUGE and crime zones expand exponentially.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

Old 04-22-2010, 01:44 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,995,303 times
Quote:
got quite an earful from our old friends (who no longer live where they grew up): Westwood Mall completely wasted, Sharpstown Mall you dare not shop at for fear you'll be shot, all the once nice apartment complexes that were brand new when we left are now drug/crime infested.
its crap like these. some people think theyre special enough to be shot in public places

Old 04-22-2010, 02:17 PM

551 posts, read 1,573,626 times
I grew up in the same area as the OP, but went to Westbury High and graduated in 1985.

My opinion is this...when you build lots of apartments and have lots of renters over time this is what will happen eventually to any nicer neighborhoods. This can also happen when many of the homes in a neighborhood are lived in by renters and not owners. The neighborhood goes to pot. That area was know as apartment haven and the costs were low. Eventually it brought down the property values of nearby neighborhoods like Glenshire and Braeburn Valley. The Beltway plowing through didn't help either.

My mother didn't sell her house in Glenshire until 2007. I became more worried about her as each year passed. I still know some families that live there and have since the 70's and they are not moving. I guess they feel comfortable there.

I love where I live now but can see the same things happening slowly in my neighborhood. We are now 1 of 2 original owners in the neighborhood and are surrounded by renters. Hope I don't offend any renters with this. I know some care but many do not. And I know some owners don't care either. Bottom line- if you don't want to take care of your house or pay HOA dues or take care of your yard than don't own a home.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:11 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,436,005 times
Apartments. When they are new and expensive, no problem, but almost ALL apartments become old and cheap, then the problem moves into the area. The more apartments, the worse it gets.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:28 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times
This is why Kingwood has banned any further multi-family development within its borders.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:39 PM

57 posts, read 143,843 times
When I was first married we lived in the Braesridge Apts off of Fondren. They were super-nice, catered more to seniors, and they advertised themselves as the 'quiet' complex. They were more expensive than other places but we felt they were worth it. We were the youngest couple there. When we moved a couple of years later (1986) the area was beginning to show signs of going downhill: our car was broken into twice and an elderly man was mugged and beaten in the parking lot by thugs. Little did we know how bad the area would get...

Old 04-22-2010, 04:52 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,656,264 times
mexicans and blacks

amirite?

just kidding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston